• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Corporate Anit-Gun Policies

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008079290_webredmond29m.html
REDMOND — A man fatally shot his estranged wife as she was leaving for work before turning the gun on himself in the parking lot of the apartment complex where the woman was living, police said.
The murder-suicide took place about 9:10 a.m. at the Archstone apartments in the 4300 block of 156th Avenue Northeast, said Jim Bove, Redmond police public-information officer.
The victims were an estranged husband and wife in their late 30s or early 40s, said Bove. Their names have not yet been released.
Bove said the woman was staying with a friend at the apartments, and was leaving for work when the man confronted her in the parking lot near the leasing office for the complex. The woman was shot several times in the torso, said Bove, and the man then turned a 9-mm handgun on himself, firing one shot into his head.
The woman was believed to have worked at Microsoft, which has its main campus about two blocks south of the apartment complex. The site is just to the east of Highway 520 and an Overlake Transit Center at Northeast 40th Street.
The area inside the apartment complex was restricted with crime-scene tape for several hours after the shootings and an awning was set up to protect the crime scene from rain.
Some apartment residents watched the investigation from balconies but Bove said that apparently no one saw the actual confrontation, although many calls were made to 911 after the shots were fired.
Bove said this was the first slaying in Redmond since 2004.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Presumably if MS allowed their employees to be armed... of course we don't know if the vicitim would have chosen to be armed had she been able to be.

Phssthpok

imported post

She (apparently) worked at Microsoft, a mere two blocks away. One would presume that she intended to walk to work. Since Microsoft is a 'gun-free campus' she would be precluded from packing while en route to her destination.

Ergo, Microsoft's anti-gun policy just got her killed. (assuming of course she would have normally been carrying)

Bear 45/70

imported post

It says "The woman was believed to have worked at Microsoft". "Believed" being the operative word. They are guessing and you can't blame anyone except her estranged husband for this.

David.Car

imported post

Unfortunately I can't carry at work, or too work, or from work either... I can not have a firearm on site while on duty, and my personal vehicle counts as "on site" even if it is parked across the street...

Bugs me sometimes. A lot of times...

arms_libertas

imported post

Theconcept of employers being able to dictate what is kept in your personal vehicle has always bothered me. If police officers cannot search yourpersonal property (car or home) without reasonable cause because it is your personal property, how can an employer dictate what is allowable within your personal property (vehicle)?

I haven't been able to track down an arguement for personal property rights, specifically regarding items within your vehicle while on company property, that is in favor of the employees. Does anyone have any evidence or findings that employers can't restrict what you keep in your vehicle?

David, without knowing the full details of your work environment I find it very hard to believe that an employer can lawfully and reasonably restrict what you keep in your vehicle when it isn't even on their property...

joeroket

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Unfortunately I can't carry at work, or too work, or from work either... I can not have a firearm on site while on duty, and my personal vehicle counts as "on site" even if it is parked across the street...

Across the street as in not on your employers property?

arms_libertas

imported post

3/325 wrote:
The story makes a good argument for everyday carry, but it has to reach a little too far for the corporate policy debate.

Unlesssomeone ownstheir own company or are independently wealthy, everyday carry bumps into the corporate issue everyday that you go to work. Carrying everyday is impossible between the time you leave for and come back from work.

I thinkemployerscan exercise their property rights, just as any personcan, butstipulating what is and is not acceptablewithin your vehicle seems a bit over the line.

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:

Unless he is paying you to drive to and from work and you do not park on company property, there is no way in hell he can tell you that you can't carry traveling to and from work. If he doesn't pay you mileage for travelduring the dayhe can't restrict what you carry in your car either.

3/325

imported post

Unlesssomeone ownstheir own company or are independently wealthy, everyday carry bumps into the corporate issue everyday that you go to work. Carrying everyday is impossible between the time you leave for and come back from work.
This is true, but I was referring specifically to that story. There isn't anything in it (currently) to suggest that she *would* have carried if given the option.

Bear 45/70

imported post

3/325 wrote:
This is true, but I was referring specifically to that story. There isn't anything in it (currently) to suggest that she *would* have carried if given the option.
I agree.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

my company also bans carry. I'm not allowed to lock it in my vehicle while parked in the leased parking garage. I've been fighting this since March and finally got an answer from HR & Security, If I carry on company property I will be terminated.
I wonder if we got enough folks together to file a lawsuit to get it like some other states and be allowed to lock it up where we work??

compmanio365

imported post

I echo what JAC said.......I walk to work every day through a bad area in downtown Seattle.....I've been attacked twice by the crazy & homeless.........it is a situation where "concealed means concealed".....if I get caught, well, I'll be putting my resume out for consideration. The job means less to me than if I get to make it home at night.......

David.Car

imported post

Reply to people responding to my restriction of having a firearm in my vehicle.

I work in security, as such I have a WA state security license. It is an unarmed license. In order to have an armed license it has to be endorsed through your company and my company doesn't do armed positions. As such, having a firearm on my person, or on my mode of transportation at a job site is restricted... Not even suppose to have a knife.

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:

I work in security, as such I have a WA state security license. It is an unarmed license. In order to have an armed license it has to be endorsed through your company and my company doesn't do armed positions. As such, having a firearm on my person, or on my mode of transportation at a job site is restricted... Not even suppose to have a knife.
So they are paying you to use your venicle. In this day and age, how the hell do you provide any real security without being armed. Dialing 911 ain't gonna get it done if you or others end up in danger? Seems to me your company wants you to be an easy target. I wouldn't do your job on a bet.

David.Car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
David.Car wrote:

So they are paying you to use your venicle. In this day and age, how the hell do you provide any real security without being armed. Dialing 911 ain't gonna get it done if you or others end up in danger? Seems to me your company wants you to be an easy target. I wouldn't do your job on a bet.
That is why I work a safe site with a cushy desk job. No graveyard shifts at crack motels for me thanks.

Besides, the term security is really a joke. A licensed security employee has no more power than any other citizen. But the work is easy (not digging a ditch, not that there is anything wrong with that)and the pay is better than workingin the food industry

And just to reply, no they do not pay you to use your own vehicle. The only time they do that is if they ask you to work a shift outside city limits.