• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first OC

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

After so long of posting on OCDO I got the chance to Open Carry today. I arrived home and got a good look at all my firearm gear I ordered online, strapped on my XD.40cal in the carbon fiber Blackhawk holster. White polo shirt (not tucked in) then I went out looking for the XD(m) while Ocing. I called all over and no one had any Bi-tones XD(m) in stock. One dealer did not even know what I was talking about. Well on my GPS system I found a gun shop in my own city. (Never even knew it was there before now) The gun shop is call Rainier Gun on 10505 Bridgeport Way SW in Lakewood. I had to get his shops name out there because he was cool with my OC and I told him I would tell my friends about his shop. I walked in looking for the new XD. My XD stood out against my white shirt and blue jeans. He did not say a word. I left after looking at the black XD(m) and the S&W MP 45. HK45, and Kimber Custom Tactical II, which felt the best of the 4 guns from there I went to get insurance for my car at Geico insurance. While there I am sure the ladies saw my firearm, no one said a word.

Then I went to put gas in my car at AM PM no one said a word, no funny looks or anything, anywhere for that matter. I went to circuit city, the lady there had to bend down to find something for me on the bottom shelf on my strong side, and she said Nothing at all. Well while doing all this I had to go back to Rainer Guns, and a state trooper was inside. I saw his car before I walked in, and thought to myself I may have a gun pointed at me today, here we go. Then I walked in as anyone else would have done. Both the owner and the trooper both looked at me then the Trooper did a second take right on the XD. Greeted me and said nothing else about it.

How I felt for Ocing for my first time? Nervous the entire time yes. At times I was not even thinking right in some of the places I went, however OC is really no big deal. (If you are reading this and have no OC yet because of any reason, Just do it, it really is not that bad)

I really prefer to carry open, even before I found this site so it has been in my heart to do so for a long time and i just jumped in and did it.l It felt good, andpeople seemed cool with it, and I guess the word is getting around well. Thanks to all you who have faced adversity for this cause. You guys have been kicked out of places, insulted, drawn on, embarrassed detained you name it you guys have been through it. MY HAT IS OFF TO ALL OF YOU.

Thank you for all you have been through for us to come behind you, that the way would be made easier, and I feel the word is getting out. It feels good for me to do my part also. I will see you guys around.

Machoduck

imported post

Welcome to the ranks of experienced OCDO members. It's great to relive my first time through your story.

Is that your family in your avatar? Could you post a bigger image (you know, one in which old-guy eyes can see the detail?)

MD

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I carry the Kimber Tactical Custom II. I LOVE my .45!!! I bought this gun when it was the first year this model came out. Aluminum frame makes it a little lighter to carry. This gun is expensive, but comes out of the box with all the bells and whistles that you'd have to pay alot extra for on some other .45's.

OC'ing seems like such a big deal, when you've not done it yet. But as you found out, it's realy not that big-a-deal once you've "busted your cherry".

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[align=justify]Yes that Kimber felt so nice and the trigger was awesome. I was originally going to buy this one, then I wanted more rounds, then blah blah blah, I fell in love with the new XD(m). I considered all the pistols that I held today and in order by feel and trigger I liked the Kimber, XD(m), HK 45 S&W MP, this is just by handling them. However I did not change the back straps on any of them t ft my hand, but just from the handling of the gun, the KIMBER was by far the best. He felt like it held my hand, not me holding it. It was just awesome. [/align]
[align=justify]I know that at some time in my OC adventures will run into those that are opposed to m carrying Open. But with the more miles I get under my belt, the more I will be ready to deal with it.[/align]
[align=justify]I think being asked to leave is not the issue for me, but it is me having to buy something in a store that I am being asked to leave, and having to go could be the only thing that will inconvenience me.[/align]
[align=justify]

[align=justify][/align]

Machoduck here is a picture of my family… they are all I have here in WA, and that is part of the reasons why I am so protective over them.[/align]

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hey thanks man. just yesterday my wife was asking about you.

we shouldget together sometime. As long asI am herei will continue to OC and get a feel for how lakewoodreceives OC. I guess I willing be the test subject:D

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I thank you for posting the picture, alwayspacking. Your beautiful family puts one more nail in the coffin of the idea that those of us who OC are all angry, paranoid redneck white guys with ego problems. I hope some of those who believe so see your picture and further realize that carrying isn't about race, political belief, geography or denomination. It is about personal responsibility, family, community and country.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I thank you for posting the picture, alwayspacking. Your beautiful family puts one more nail in the coffin of the idea that those of us who OC are all angry, paranoid redneck white guys with ego problems. I hope some of those who believe so see your picture and further realize that carrying isn't about race, political belief, geography or denomination. It is about personal responsibility, family, community and country.

Thank you so much for the kind words.

I am glad to be a black man taking part in this OC movement to show our society that there are black guys with guns who don’t gangbang or commit violent crimes with firearms.

nofoa

imported post

Glad to hear another person is joining the movement to OC. If more people did so we could change the perception of public opinion. So that in that a citizen with a holstered firearm is no big thing. My hat is off to you.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

More OCing today here in lakewood,and it really seems that people do not care about me having a gun. One person asked if he could play with my gun? to which I answered "no,I can't even play with it". thenhe said yeah that sucks, and from there we talked guns and other things other than that, no one else even said aword. :lol:The more I OC the more i am comfortable with it. I already tend to go about my day just like I did when I CC. I just conduct myself like it is not even there. I really forget it is on me,I don't even look at it.

Gene Beasley

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
One person asked if he could play with your gun? to which I answered "no,I can't even play with it".
Yow! I have to ask, how old was this person? I would expect it maybe from a seven-year old, but that would have left me speechless.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When he said that to mei was taken back a bit because he had to have been mid 20s. I guess it was the only thing he could come up with to brake the ice, and show that he did not mind the gun in his store

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
I am glad to be a black man taking part in this OC movement to show our society that there are black guys with guns who don’t gangbang or commit violent crimes with firearms.
+1. Personally I don't look at people as one race or another, but there are some who still do, which is sad. At any rate I got real tired of these whiny self styled liberals in Oly suggesting that only a white guy can really get away with OC... Thanks for proving them wrong!

fire suppressor

imported post

I will agree that the first few time you OC it is scary I CC for a long time. In my personal experiance its normaly not a problem at least around me peolpe dont even seem to notice it there i'v had a few odd looks but not one has come up to me yet to complain outside of close family and freinds (fingers crossed) The more you do it the more comfterble it will become (Yes I know I cant spell sorry cant find that button today sorry guys)

DEROS72

imported post

Way to go .You'll find that it becomes less of an issue everyday.Especiallythose places you might stop at frequently.Where the same people might see you from time to time.Grocery store ,coffee shops etc.The only thing said to me lately as I had my coffee at the safeway starbucks was by the bank manager of the bank there.He came up and said Sir you need to cover that up its illegal.I politely showed him a pamphlet in which he replied.I'll be damn ,didn't know that.Some realizing your'e one of the good guys might even feel safer knowing you are around.P.S. That is a beatiful family you have and I admire your dertimination to protect them.You are a blessed man indeed.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know I have only OCed for a few days now being that I was out of the country when I found out about OC and it is too early to think i will never be confronted about carrying my gun but I will say my first 2 days of OC has not been a problem what so ever.

I have been in lots of stores in tacoma and Lakewood, the tacomawaterfront, andin my bank (shaking a bit, because i am a bit nervous) even though maybe hundreds of people have send my gun, I having come across all races, gender and ages of peopleand no one has ever said a word to me about it. My wife says it's because I look like a cop haha. either it is that, or the media, other OCers or OCDOare getting the word out there and helping peopleaccept OCmore.

Other than some of the obvious places I just consider business being ok with OK until they ask me to leave, so far ever place I have been tois good with it.

alsoSir thanks for the kind words about my family, they are every thing to me, and they are so innocent and sweet, I can't allow anyone to harm them. Yes I have been blessed to have them bothbecause they are my heart's desire.

DEROS72

imported post

Yor welcome.Keep it up it's going to take all of us out there if we are going to keep our rights.Demonstarting we are not allgun crazed rednecks or gangbangers.I have known 2 people in my life that were allmost killed in home invasions.One in a very upscale country club in Palm Springs.She was attacked in her home robbed and left for dead.So it can happen anywhere anytime.....I have three daughters myself and taught them all to shoot by the time they were 10 and 11 years old.My oldest at the time loved my mini 14 and got pretty good with it.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just to update everyone a bit. Today I went to Point Defiance park on my bike, passed lots of people and nothing was said other than some kids making sure everyone saw I had a gun.

Also I went to the Airport to pick up my mom, I was insidethere for about 45 minstanding up and walking around sittingas normal, and NO one said a word to me. I saw a cop walking my way on his radio, I got ready to explain myself, but he just walked right on by me. No one ran from me or anything. And on my way home I went by Dennys' and sat with my strong side to the door. NOPE NOT A WORD... My wife said today after taking some pictures at the park, that I look like I should have a gun on me, thats why no one says anything to me.

NOW I just really go everywhere without fear of being questioned about my firearm. because I look like one belongs on me.

:) ( but I think the questions will come at some point about my pistol) but now no one even cares about it on me. Maybe they think I am some type of LEO. not sure what it is.