• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first OC

Gene Beasley

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
My wife said today after taking some pictures at the park, that I look like I should have a gun on me, thats why no one says anything to me.
I think it's when you get to the point that you feel that way in your gut, that you carry yourself differently. You know that feeling you have all day when you leave the house without your watch/cell phone/wallet - it's that feeling. If your weapon is not at your side, you know it and your whole body will be telling you until you set it right. I'm not saying that this feeling causes you to carry yourself in a "don't mess with me" manner, just that you're as comfortable with a sidearm on your hip as you are with a watch on you wrist. It's no big deal and you don't come across as timid, anxious or nervous. Time and good company is the cure for those ailments!

-- Really enjoyed meeting you and your family. Hope to do it again when I'm not pressed for time.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
My wife said today after taking some pictures at the park, that I look like I should have a gun on me, thats why no one says anything to me.
Laff, my fiancee said the same thing to me this weekend.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ok well I find there is no need to start another topic so I will just update this one. I have been OCing around lakewood for while now and there has been no problems at all, not even funny looks from people. I went toa dentist appointment two days ago, and my wife had one today at the same place. I OC there but at first I was going to CC because I was not sure as to how they would act about my XDm, but nothing was said and the Dentist asked if it was a 9 or a .40 and he stated that he has a Sig.

I alsowent into QFC many times and no one freaked out.

I went to Barnes and Nobles for a few hours today, rode my bike there andno cops chased me down. I saw a guy I was in the army with from 2000 and he thought I was a cop, he asked who I was with. I said my wife, then I said Oh No I am not a cop just a citizen exercising my right to bare arms, he responding with there's nothing wrong with that.

Yesterday my son had to get more shots, so this time I walked in the clinic with the big no weapons sign on all the door and went in to thepatient's rooms, no one said a thing.

Rode my bike to visit my friendin Stilacom on the side of the street, and in neighborhoods, no one called the cops on me.

Other cities

Seattle

A few days ago I was in seattle, the family, my friend and her son all spent theday downtown and along the waterfront until about 2100, while thereI passed Seattle Police, fire and EMS on the sidewalk in response to some fools jumping in the water, and no one said a word to me. I walked downtown in McDonald's and star bucks, and nothing was said.

The only thing I heard in all my time of OCing from some one that did not speak directlyto me was ( as I was eating in Seattle) Kid teen: is it real? Lady : I imagine so, don't piss him off. I started to say something like, NO Ma'am it's not like that at all... But I just kept feeding the birds and eating.

Orting & South Hill

Orting: went for a 8 milebike ride with wife, no one called the cops

South Hill, ate at a Thi restaurant, nothing said.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

I got my XD-M on thursday, oc to Champion Arms on Friday, but that doesn't count.

Yesterday I did my first real OC. Went to Renton Wallmart, bought some ammo. I was still wearing my bus uniform, and one guy said something about carrying on the bus and I said "I wish". that was it. No stares, whispers, cops, security....

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
I got my XD-M on thursday, oc to Champion Arms on Friday, but that doesn't count.

Yesterday I did my first real OC. Went to Renton Wallmart, bought some ammo. I was still wearing my bus uniform, and one guy said something about carrying on the bus and I said "I wish". that was it. No stares, whispers, cops, security....
You are now an official OCer after you OC at your local Wal Mart LOL. With that place you never know what kind of encounter you may have

quentusrex

imported post

alwayspacking, when were you at the Geico? I do work for them and was there today. The ladies know that I carry, and often open carry.

The people and the owner of lakewood Geico are really friendly.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

quentusrex wrote:
alwayspacking, when were you at the Geico? I do work for them and was there today. The ladies know that I carry, and often open carry.

The people and the owner of lakewood Geico are really friendly.
I was there on the 1st of Sept, that was Saturday I think. Yes really nice people there.

scoobydoo6906

imported post

carrying oc or cc at wallmart is a good idea, lots of violent people seem to go there. I wonder if being in a wallmart is the most dangerious place in the usa, most certainly bussiness wise I am sure lol.

Triple Tap

imported post

scoobydoo6906 wrote:
carrying oc or cc at wallmart is a good idea, lots of violent people seem to go there. I wonder if being in a wallmart is the most dangerious place in the usa, most certainly bussiness wise I am sure lol.
The sad thing is, I don't think there is any one place that is worse than another anymore. It can happen anytime, anywhere.

scoobydoo6906

imported post

I agree with anytime anywere. I have a gun on me or really close just about 100% of the time. the first time I open carried it was only to my truck and back at apartment complex, it was a start. the reason I started to oc was a lady in my complex was raped (I need to move) I don't have a chl yet but I thought what could I do to prevent this sort of thing from maybe happening again. so that's how I got started. has anybody had any problems with the Vancouver police department while open carrying?

warrenja3

imported post

This is my first post here since my friend told me about the site. I've been thinking of oc'ing. I live in the Olympia area and am wondering if anyone has had any negative reactions? After reading all the posts you've inspired be to start oc'ing (as soon as I can get a OC holster for my PX4)

sirpuma

imported post

The other day I was OCing at the Target at White Center. There was some lady outside trying to get signatures for some petition. When I came out she of course engaged me in asking me to sign, then she saw my 5" XD tactical. She took a step back and her eyes got as big as dinner plates. She stammered out "Wha wha wha what is it?" I replied nonchelantly , "Oh, it's a Sprinfield XD". She stammers some more "No, um, I mean what, um, is it, um". I said, "oh, it's a .45." At this point she seemed faint and managed to get out "I mean is it .... real?" I said, "well, of course, I wouldn't carry it if it wasn't." So she replies, "But I thought that wasn't legal." I said, "Nope, WA, ID and Oregon, in fact most states, it's perfectly legal to openly carry without a permit." She was so flaberghasted that she didn't notice me just walk away.

That's the only 'negative' encounter I've had. Usually I just get people looking. Kids often walk right up and stare at it. I've had a few kids ask if it's real then grin when I say yes. I've had one guy compliment me for carrying when I was at the local Thriftway down the hill from us. Also once at Costco when in line a kid walked around his mom behind me and got within a foot of it, stopped dead staring at my peice then quickly backed away to the other side of his mom. I just looked at him, laughed a little and said, "don't worry, it won't bite".

Marcus

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

warrenja3 wrote:
This is my first post here since my friend told me about the site. I've been thinking of oc'ing. I live in the Olympia area and am wondering if anyone has had any negative reactions? After reading all the posts you've inspired be to start oc'ing (as soon as I can get a OC holster for my PX4)
I have only been to Olympia once OCing and no problems, there are some post here about OC in that city you could just look in this sections and you will find them. You will see OC is not that bad at all. When you do OC please keep us posted. I do my best to inspire new OCers also Welcome to the cite and try to join us in a meeting sometime, I think the next one will be in seattle.

sirpuma I have met 2 people outside my local K Mart while I was OC whowanted me to buy something just link in your case, and they did not even care I was packing. LOL i know what you mean about kids. I really feel like what in the world is going to happen when this kids sees my gun:uhoh:. I was in a QFC in lakewood with other day. and a little girl was running around something close to me as I was standing in line, she was running to my strong side in her motion, I was thinking she was going to stop in her tracks and say " MOM HE HAS A GUN" but no one said anything.

Bear 45/70

imported post

warrenja3 wrote:
sv_libertarian had two different run ins with the Olympia police while OCing in Olympia. After the second encounter, his lawyer, Randy Loun, lettered the OPD and the problem disappeared and a training bulletin was issued. I've carried in Olympia, Tumwater and just last night in Lacey and have never had a PD encounter. But then sv is pretty disreputable looking character.:lol:

tricityguy

imported post

I had my coffee at the safeway starbucks was by the bank manager of the bank there.He came up and said Sir you need to cover that up its illegal.I politely showed him a pamphlet in which he replied.I'll be damn ,didn't know that.

Where could I find these pamphlets? So it's legal to OC in a bank? That would be an interesting outing... Wonder what my credit union would think of this.

Bear 45/70

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
I had my coffee at the safeway starbucks was by the bank manager of the bank there.He came up and said Sir you need to cover that up its illegal.I politely showed him a pamphlet in which he replied.I'll be damn ,didn't know that.

Where could I find these pamphlets? So it's legal to OC in a bank? That would be an interesting outing... Wonder what my credit union would think of this.

Here you go. Its the first sticky at the top of the Washington forum page.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/7906.html

I do the bank thing all the time, never a word one.

warrenja3

imported post

Wow! Thanks for all the quick input! I just went to Cabelas and picked up a Bullddog Case for $16. It's a bit cheap but it will let me know what I like and don't like about before I get something that I really would like.

I stopped by Larry's Guns and found out that its under no ownership and they guy was great! He didn't have anything yet for the PX4 but is trying to get some quality holsters in the not so distant future. I know there was an earlier post about Larry's being against OC but the new guys all OC and are more then happy to have customers OC or CC. I think the exact quote was "as long as you don't wave it around" (obviously.... lol)

Regards.....

Bear 45/70

imported post

warrenja3 wrote:
Wow! Thanks for all the quick input! I just went to Cabelas and picked up a Bullddog Case for $16. It's a bit cheap but it will let me know what I like and don't like about before I get something that I really would like.

I stopped by Larry's Guns and found out that its under no ownership and they guy was great! He didn't have anything yet for the PX4 but is trying to get some quality holsters in the not so distant future. I know there was an earlier post about Larry's being against OC but the new guys all OC and are more then happy to have customers OC or CC. I think the exact quote was "as long as you don't wave it around" (obviously.... lol)

Regards.....
New owners at Larry's solved the no OC problem there. Cabela's is good with OC also. It would appear we need another Olympia mini get together. I'll start a thread.

warrenja3

imported post

I had my first opportunity to OC, the wife asked me to go get some ICE at the local Albertson's and everything went just fine! Thanks for all the good posts! We'll have to see how the next couple times go....

Regards