• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bought a new pocket pistol

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
DreQo wrote:
Well I mean .45 is the best....I'm just saying..
:shock: That had to be an embarrassing typo ... fixed it for you though ...

;)
lol I actually don't own a .45 at the moment. I'd like to get a .45 1911, but more for the platform than the round itself. I can see a marked differenced between the .45 and 9mm, but not so much with the .40 and .45, other than bullet size, of course. It just seems that the .40 makes up for the .05 of an inch with the higher velocity creating more energy.

ckwing13

imported post

I have a Kel-tec 32 acp that I carry regularly. I also carry a Kimber Ultra carry 45acp. I have found that sometimes its better to have something small than nothing at all. I have had mine for 2yrs now and have run about 400 rounds through it and only small ware under the barrel on the frame. I only run round nose ammo through it. I was told that hollow points can jam. you need to run a wire down the back side of the mag to push the shorter rounds forward to feed better.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
DreQo wrote:

;)
lol I actually don't own a .45 at the moment. I'd like to get a .45 1911, but more for the platform than the round itself. I can see a marked differenced between the .45 and 9mm, but not so much with the .40 and .45, other than bullet size, of course. It just seems that the .40 makes up for the .05 of an inch with the higher velocity creating more energy.
I don't necessarily disagree and as you know from my posts I'm not a caliber snob. I was just being funny...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
DreQo wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
DreQo wrote:

;)
I don't necessarily disagree and as you know from my posts I'm not a caliber snob. I was just being funny...
lol I know you were :p

ballydoctor

imported post

WELL DONT CONSIDER THE RUGER 380 UNLESS YOU WANT PROBLEM AND THEY DONT STAND BEHIND THE PRODUCT. I HAVE EVEN TALKED TO THE CEO AND GOT NOWHERE.

I BOUGHT THE GUN AND PAID 400.00 BECAUSE THERE IS ATHREE MONTH WAIT, SO LIKE EVERYTHING I BECAME IMPATIENT AND HAD TO HAVE ONE AND MY LOCAL GUN HAD ONE. IBROUGHT IT AND TOOK ITHOME AND PUT ITIN THE SAFE BECAUSE I WAS ON THE ROAD FOR TWO WEEKS AND I WAS CARRYING THE KEL-TEC 3AT. WELL WHEN I CAME HOME AND TOOK IT OUT OF THE BOX AND LOADED THE FIRST ROUND IN THE CHAMBER THE SLIDE DIDN'T SEATITSELF BACK FORWARDED ALL THE WAY. I BECAME VERY CONCERNED TO EVEN GO AND FIRE IT. I CALLED RUGER AND THEY SUGGESTED I SEND IT IN AND THAT IS WHERE IT HAS BEEN EVER SINCE. I CALLED THE CEO AND HE FINALLY RETURN MY CALL AND TOLD ME THERE IS A 2 TO 4 WEEK TURN AROUND. I TOLD HIM I JUST BOUGHT THE GUN AND ENCLOSED THE RECEIPT AND THAT IT WAS NEVER EVEN FIREDTO PROVE IT AND I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO WAIT 2 TO 4 WEEKS THAT THE GUN SHOULD BE REPLACES BUT NO WAY THEY SAID. THEYHAVE THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY BRUSH YOU OFF. BY FAR BUY THE KEL TEC 3ATAND BE WORRY FREE, GREATHANDGUN

curtm1911

imported post

I own a Kel-Tec P-11, 9MM, double stack magazine, and it is either my BUG or when need be, it can be a primary. When it is my BUG, I am also carrying a 1911 Springfield Armory G.I. Champion or my Taurus PT-1911. Extra mags ALWAYS for both. The P-11 comes with a 10 rd. mag and Kel-Tec makes 12 rd, mags for it now too. It may not as slim as the other Kel-Tec's but I like it, it shoots well, and holds plenty of rounds. But, all that being said, it is still a personal thing what one buys/carries, so I carry my P-11 and smile knowingly...........

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've front pocket carried a Kel-Tec P3AT in an Ace Case 917 for about a year and a half. After a few birthing problems that were cured with some TLC, the .380 has been reliable and fun to shoot. The P3AT in the Ace Case never prints "gun" and seldom prints "wallet" no matter what I wear and is always comfortable. I CC this BUG whether I'm home or out. Truth be told it is all too often my primary. Just because I don't like to wear my "I'm carrying a concealed handgun" "uniform." Texas heat you know. Add that to your stack of stuff...hope it helps. CHUCK.http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA917-33.html Also the Kel-Tec Owners Group web site has great tech articles and tips. http://www.ktog.org/

No NAU

imported post

I have a P32, second generation parkerized. It is either a backup to my XD40 or it is deep concealment for situations where I do not want anyone to know I am carrying. It just vanishes in a front pocket with a pocket holster. I've put about 300 rounds through it without a problem. It runs great.

I carry my XD40 whenever I can but when I can't something is better than nothing.

Eagleeye

imported post

hlh wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:
Considering the PF-9 myself.

Local Cabelas says they can get a Parkerised one in for $319.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/pf9.htm
I've seen these at the past couple of gun shows for $279.
Figured Cabelas was kind of high, just haven't had the chance yet to price one at the other local shops yet.

Except impact who want $270 for a blued one

Blinn79

imported post

bobernet wrote:
I've been thinking about the need for a pocketable pistol for a while to augment other full size guns I carry CC and OC. My brother's outdoor Texas wedding next month gave me the final nudge. I don't want to keep my tux jacket on the whole time and roast, and there's no recognition of the right to OC in Texas, so tonight I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT.

380 would not be my first choice for a defensive firearm, but it seems like the best possible compromise of size, capacity and caliber. Anyone else own/carry the P3AT or P32?

I considered a Seecamp and a Ruger LCP, but the Kel-Tec literally disappears in a pocket. It's even thinner than I expected before I had handled one.

They apparently make them blued, hard chrome and parkerized. Mine is the OD green frame with parkerized slide. It was the only parked model they had in stock.
I just sold my Kel Tec P3AT to a guy at a local gun show. I bought mine new and took it to the gun range with some federal hydroshocks and it jammed every round. I went to the store and bought a few other hollow points and it jammed everyone of them when trying to feed them up the feed ramp, with the exception of some remington hollow points that came in a box of 50. They were rounded at the tip and had a much smaller cavity, giving them the ability to feed. Any regular round nose ball ammo I used fed properly. I did have some feeding problems with some winchester .380 target ammo that had a flat nose, but was not a hollow point.

Then after about 200 rounds through it, while carrying it for protection, a friend and me had a run in with a stray pitbull on his land. The dog was acting aggressive so I pulled the Kel-Tec P3AT from my pocket and pointed it at the dog. It came a little closer growling and all around acting threatning so I sqeezed the trigger and it went all the way back to the back of the trigger guard, fully depressed (plastic hitting plastic) but failed to drop the hammer. I was shocked and tried to sqeeze it off multiple times quickly but each time the hammer came back like it was going to fire, but the trigger wouldn't squeeze back far enough to drop the hammer because it was hitting the back of the trigger guard. Now I am a big guy (6'2", 300 lbs) and I lift weights on a regular basis and I was sqeezing this thing hard enough that if I was shaking another average guys hand it would have put him on his knees. Needless to say, we ran for his Jeep Wrangler. Luckly the dog didn't give chase because it was about 40 feet away and when we ran, the dog was about 15 feet away.

I took home and played with it, and was unable to make it fire (drop the hammer). Its like it needed another 1/8 of a inch of travel but was just hitting the back of the trigger guard. I sold it at the very next gun show for fairly close to what I paid for it new.

I know they have a life time warranty, and I could have sent it in to Kel-Tec and had them mess with it, but a new gun pulling something like that, especially in a situation like that... well I was done with it.

My first concealed carry here in Texas was a glock 27 (subcompact .40) and it has never failed me. I have tried a couple different smaller guns to try to get something I can carry in my pocket with no printing and it just seems like nothing smaller functions like a glock, or at least not well enough to bet my life on. I'll stick with glock, or a good j-frame in .38.