• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting Sick of All These "Though Provoking" Threads

GeneticsDave

imported post

All these new threads that are started under the false pretense of provoking thought, but are really just starting flame wars have left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I'm not saying Good-bye to OCDO, I'm not that petty, and the internet does not hurt my feelings; but I'm just sick of reading so much crap here - decided to spend my limited time elsewhere for a bit.

See you when the flames are out!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
All these new threads that are started under the false pretense of provoking thought, but are really just starting flame wars have left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I'm not saying Good-bye to OCDO, I'm not that petty, and the internet does not hurt my feelings; but I'm just sick of reading so much crap here - decided to spend my limited time elsewhere for a bit.

I am sorry to agree GD.

The quality on this site has very recently has not been one to be proud of I am sorry to say. :uhoh:

TJ

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
GeneticsDave wrote:

I am sorry to agree GD.

The quality on this site has very recently has not been one to be proud of I am sorry to say. :uhoh:

TJ

We just need to chime in with level-headed comments and/or request a lock by PM.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Citizen wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
GeneticsDave wrote:

I am sorry to agree GD.

TJ

We just need to chime in with level-headed comments and/or request a lock by PM.

C you are right. I just dislike that we have to PM all the time to have threads locked.

TJ

Narcisist

imported post

I'm with TJ and GD on this one. . .I don't post much, I just like to read others' opinions for the most part. But reading the opinions on this site has become a painful experience for me. That just a few "members" can come in and cause soo much grief and strife and stir people up, making people who've been members here for ages argue with each other over things that shouldn't even be an issue. I'm out 'til the trolls are gone.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I will agree as well! I have been spending more of my time over at UCC instead. I read the topic and alot of times don't even read anymore! If so just the first post then close it. Not interested and rather boring lately, Sorry!:cry:

Cadet Higham

imported post

I wholeheartedly agree. This wasn't a place where I came to have a flame war or a controversial discussion. This is a place where I came to get information, to ask questions and to post observations... I'll be back when things have cooled down...

Look forward to the next meet (Please be sure to copy to UCC)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fellas, fellas, fellas.

Don't forget you can make the forum, too.

You can influence regular members by PMing them to relax and not argue with the dummies.

You can link interesting news stories that you come across.

You canlink interesting stuff from other forums.

Pick a book, pick a topic, pick something you think might be of interest or a benefit to others. Law. Ballistics. New ammo. New gun. Start a thread asking if anybody has experience with your handgun. Something. Anything. The forum is what we make it.

The best part is that the faster you contribute and the more you contribute, the faster the junk moves to page three and four.

Separately,John and Mike work. Well, John works. Mike, we're not sure what he does. :) (He's a law student.) Even when we had more moderators, the mods often were not policing until they got off work. Much of the day there was no moderator to put out fires.

John and Mike will respond to PMs about fires or idiots.

For a self-moderated forum, I think we do pretty well.

swjr

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Fellas, fellas, fellas.

Don't forget you can make the forum, too.

You can influence regular members by PMing them to relax and not argue with the dummies.

You can link interesting news stories that you come across.

You canlink interesting stuff from other forums.

Pick a book, pick a topic, pick something you think might be of interest or a benefit to others. Law. Ballistics. New ammo. New gun. Start a thread asking if anybody has experience with your handgun. Something. Anything. The forum is what we make it.

The best part is that the faster you contribute and the more you contribute, the faster the junk moves to page three and four.

Separately,John and Mike work. Well, John works. Mike, we're not sure what he does. :) (He's a law student.) Even when we had more moderators, the mods often were not policing until they got off work. Much of the day there was no moderator to put out fires.

John and Mike will respond to PMs about fires or idiots.

For a self-moderated forum, I think we do pretty well.

By NOT posting as a result of reading threads you don't like you are, or by opening threads like this one ABOUT the threads you don't like, you are taking away from the kind of threads you DO like.

I agree with Citizen - if you don't like what you read then WRITE SOMETHING YOURSELF instead of just whining about what the other guys write about.

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProtectedbyHIS9mm wrote:

By NOT posting as a result of reading threads you don't like you are, or by opening threads like this one ABOUT the threads you don't like, you are taking away from the kind of threads you DO like.

I agree with Citizen - if you don't like what you read then WRITE SOMETHING YOURSELF instead of just whining about what the other guys write about.
Case in point. I'm with Dave.