• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

K-Frame Square Butt Grips

nova

imported post

Well, after immediately replacing the original VERY worn wood grips the day after buying my Smith mod 64-5, and keeping it like that ever since, I've been considering getting some other grips. I really like the hogues, they feel great and allow me to naturally point the gun.

• However, as many people know, Hogue rubber grips are very tacky and snag onto clothes very easily.
  • I have large (fat) fingers so I'm looking for something without finger grooves this time...the Hogues do feel great in my hand, but only when I grab the gun perfectly to align with the groves.
  • I'm looking for something that won't cling to clothing...so that rules out Hogue rubber.
  • I was thinking of getting the Hogue nylon grips, but they have finger grooves as well, plus everywhere is out of stock anyhow.
So, this leaves me with Pachmayr Presentation grips, or the 'oversized' wood grips that also came on Smiths (or any aftermarket ones). I really screwed up when I didn't buy those lightly used oversizedwood grips at the gun show for 15 bucks last weekend :(

Oh one last thing...I'm limiting myself to under 30 bucks because I just loaded up on Gold Dots at that show...spent too much money already this month! :)

nova wrote:
kle wrote:
nova wrote:
I'm probably going back tomorrow to look at grips for my K-frame since I got a 3-day pass.
I recommend D&J Gun Repair (they're near the front entrance)--they have a wide selection of grips, plus they're local (they're up in Sterling).

Hey, I've also got a set of Eagle grips I don't think I'll ever use anymore (and a whole bunch of Hogue grips that I'll definitely never use anymore) for K/L-frame round-butt (round-to-square conversions), if you're interested...

That might be the place I was looking at. I just couldn't decide whether to get a set of used wood grips for 15 bucks or to order a set of nylon Hogues for 16.99 plus shipping...I'll have to go back and look closer. I do like the rubber Hogues I have on it currently but they snag my shirt very easily.

ETA my Smith is a square butt but thanks for the offer! :)

nova

imported post

Well, I got the Pachmayr Presentation grips tonight! Very nice fit as well. Points just as naturally as the Hogues, but I don't have the finger grooves to worry about. I put the Hogues away with the original wood grips for a future occassion I need them. Maybe when I start using a different gun (maybe my XD45) as a house gun I'll put the hogues back on since it will be for range only, but until then, these Pachmayrs will accompany me at home and when out and about with my .38 wheelgun :)

Forgot to add, the ones I got were older stock, because these are listed as only fitting square butt k-frames, not K/L frames like the new ones on MidwayUSA.

nova

imported post

DSCN0562.jpg

nova

imported post

Not surprised...mine is basically the stainless version of the Model 10 anyhow, and that gun's been around forever!:)

nova

imported post

Been using these grips for a while now and I still love 'em! These fit my hand very well, and they still allow me to point the gun just as naturally as the hogues did, only I don't have finger grooves to worry about when Igrab the gunin a hurry.