• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jerry Lewis detained for carrying gun at airport

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN2938528720080729

By Alex Dobuzinskis
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian Jerry Lewis was detained by police in Las Vegas late last week when airport screeners found an unloaded gun in his baggage, authorities said on Tuesday.
Lewis, 82, had a small .22-caliber handgun when he arrived at the security screening area on Friday at Las Vegas McCarran International Airport, said Officer Ramon Denby, a spokesman for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
The comedian was briefly detained and the gun was seized. Lewis was cited for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, Denby said.
Lewis, half of a wildly successful comedic duo with singer Dean Martin in the 1950s, was traveling to Mount Pleasant, Michigan, to perform a one-man show, a source close to the comedian said.
A spokesman for Lewis, the star of the 1963 movie "The Nutty Professor" and the 1982 movie "The King of Comedy," could not immediately be reached for comment.
The weapon was registered to Lewis and he will need to attend a court hearing to get it back, Denby said.
Since 1966, Lewis has hosted an annual telethon to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Last year, the telethon raised $63.8 million.
(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis: Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

jbone

imported post

I hope he didn’t expect special consideration because he's a celebrity and aging (nice way to say old). He should have done his homework before going to the airport with a gun.

Michigander

imported post

He must travel constantly. He MUST be aware of the rules. Additionally, I believe he's something of a gun enthusiast, because I've seen him talk about guns in interviews in the past. Sounds to me like it was probably an honest mistake. Mistakes can be made with airports if you are always flying. I certainly hope he doesn't get hassled too much, same as I would hope for anyone else if they make an honest to goodness accidental screw up.

jbone

imported post

Visiting MI next week. I wonder how it would be perceived If I take my m&P 9c in my carry-on. I’m sure I would do time, I’m sure he will get a hand slap, maybe fines to go along with. He’s a good man no doubt, but so am I.