• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry OK where CCW not?

Louisiana Carry

imported post

IF it is a permit issued according to 1379.1, NOT 1379.3

Parish Permit- OK

State Permit- Not OK

scan00.jpg

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Yes, you can carry with a parish permit, no you cannot get a Caddo permit.

You must live in the parish you get one, and it is only valid for that parish. There is a provision for the issuance of a State version, but it is my understanding they are not issuing the State version anymore, though they should.

RS 40:1379.3.1 Concealed Handgun Permit Fund; assessment and disposition of fees

I discussed this in more depth here: LA parish permits... interesting

eta: FIXED LINK

GPossenti

imported post

My wife and I both work in Caddo Parish, and she's a schoolteacher. It would be great if I didn't have to disarm to pick her up from school, or if she could carry in school.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Federal law exempts local permits, as long as those permits authorize carry in school zones.

Look on page two, in the left column:

Gun Free School Zone Notice

I must say, if anyone is interested in educating themselves on these laws, everything you need to know (almost) is posted or linked to on LouisianaCarry.org

In this case, that link comes from this page:

Index of Federal Law Information

whoopingllama

imported post

I'll have to look back for the exact law, but I'm pretty sure that it says that school employees can carry.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Per State law, that is correct, per Federal law, not so correct. IIRC, Federal law only allows for a firearm not being carried by a duly permitted person to be on school grounds with the Pricipal's permission if it is unloaded and in a locked case.

Sucks, I know.

charlie12

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
Per State law, that is correct, per Federal law, not so correct. IIRC, Federal law only allows for a firearm not being carried by a duly permitted person to be on school grounds with the Pricipal's permission if it is unloaded and in a locked case.

Sucks, I know.
So if I leave it in the truck it's ok?

Louisiana Carry

imported post

That is a little bit of a popular misconception (there are times when certain things are legal for LEOs in regards to vehicles that are not necessarily legal in regard to real property), but the anwer remains the same. Firearms are OK in vehicles, as far as the law is concerned. Students who have loaded vehicles on campus may still face private diciplinary action.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

GPossenti wrote:
So if I were a teacher, I could keep my gun unloaded and locked in my briefcase? That's still much better than not at all.

Federal law seems to say that that is ok only if you are crossing school grounds, not staying on school grounds, IIRC (IANAL), and only with the pricipal's permission.

As far as LA law, you would be fine, with the principal's permission, IIRC.

whoopingllama

imported post

I will say this. If no one sees that you have it (on you, in your briefcase, in your car, wherever) it won't even be thought about. Out of sight out of mind. Unless you ever have to draw it, chances are that no one will even consider that you might be packing in any way.

These are just my thoughts. Take them as you will.

sraacke

imported post

Regarding parish permits, how many sheriffs still issue parish permits. I was told by one Sheriffs office representitive that they stopped issueing parish CCW pemits when the state started issuing CCWs. Want to have some fun? Ask the East Baton Rouge Sheriff to give you a parish permit. You will be laughed out of the office.