• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Help, with the Soulmate.

eyesopened

imported post

Dustin wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
I have been carrying now for just over 9 years and married a whole lot longer than that.

My experience is that when it comes to wives and guns, patience and perseverance are the best route.

It is kind of like eating and orange. If you just shove an orange in someone's mouth they will choke on it, but if you peal the orange and then feed it to them one section at a time, it goes much better.

I gradually worked up to where I am now.

At first I just carried concealed, and most of the time she didn't know I even had the gun.

I got a safe to keep it in and this alleviated her fears.

I offered to and took her shooting on her terms and she would do that from time to time.

I did everything slowly.

Now she has a loaded gun in the drawer by her bed, I have one by my side. I have a loaded shotgun under the bed and another gun in my briefcase.

She will actually check and make sure that I am packing when we leave the house,

Not long ago we were sitting in a restaurant and she pointed down at my open carry 1911 and said, "I am so glad that you you don't worry about keeping that thing concealed all the time anymore."

It takes time and patience, but as she becomes more accustomed to your gun, and you carrying it for the protection of your family, she will change, at least my wife did.

Good Luck

Tarzan

Now that sounds like the route that would suit my wife.

BTW, I'm 27 my wife is 25, I think :uhoh:LOL ! and a Mother of1 and 1/2 :)kids.

It's the kids that scares her now.Gun Safe's are so stinking expensive. Especially the one she wants, $299.99

gun_vault_multi_vault_biometric.jpg
I have that safe, but not the biometric one, just the normal push button one and it's great for what it is. I'd pass on the biometric option personally, but just because of the extra cost. Oh, and if you do get that biometric safe, make sure to rub off your fingerprint after using it. There have been cases where you can take a finger wrapped in a cloth and press on the scanner and the scanner will read the latent print. The regular safe is only $130 approximately.

Dustin

imported post

I'm floored at the responses here folks. Thank you so much.

Tarzan,

I can carry firearms on base. Ammo in the console, Firearm in the Glove Compartment/Gun Case. Just Seperate. If I would not be able to, than I would be upset. The range on base is 2 minutes a way, and I can go there for 30minutes to an hourduring lunch. :cool:

NW Girl, Welcome, and Thanks !!! I'll defnitely be passing the info along.

tarzan1888

imported post

Dustin wrote:
....Tarzan,

I can carry firearms on base. Ammo in the console, Firearm in the Glove Compartment/Gun Case. Just Seperate. If I would not be able to, than I would be upset. The range on base is 2 minutes a way, and I can go there for 30minutes to an hourduring lunch. :cool:........

Actually I know that, now that I think about it. The fact is that my son-in-law bought his XD 45 on base. I too have taken my carry gun on base....just unloaded and separate.

I guess I am trying to say actually carry openly or concealed, but I know what you mean. By taking it and securing it, you can still be armed when you leave base

My Son-in-law is at Shepard AFB in Texas and he joined a very nice gun club that is just off base. I don't know what facilities they have on base as I have only shot with him at the club (It only costs $30 per year)

I wish I could get to a range in 2 minutes. :(

Tarzan

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.corneredcat.com/

Two others have mentioned this site. It is well worth your time and hers to look at it, especially her article on keeping the guns away from the kids (quite humorously done despite the serious topic).

My wife was reluctant for us to buy any gun, but Hurricane Katrina changed things, and I bought my XD9 from a client in Baton Rouge so that I could return to New Orleans with some means of protection. I told my wife that she should at least come to a firing range and get familiar with the gun if we were going to have one in the house. She agreed and found out that she was a pretty good shot (her first was dead center bull's eye). Since then, she has declined to go to the range saying that she's afraid she'll "like it too much." Over time, she's grown somewhat more comfortable with me carrying more often; so I guess the gradual approach others have recommended is the best one.

Bullbuster

imported post

My wife wasn't all that thrilled about me OCing whenI first started. She was more worried about the confrontations than anything. But she has come to terms with it and has no problem with it 98% of the time. When she does its only about why I need to carry to that particular place. She now says she feels safer when I do carry. Give it time and see if she warms up to it. From time to time mine will ask ifI have it with me.

Takezo

imported post

get a gun safe because of your snot-nose.

Then go out and get her one of those designer "girlie" color guns so you can both go to the range and shoot "together."

If you keep getting the big nasty, black guns--she'll never get into it.

Speaking from experience.

AH

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Takezo wrote:

Then go out and get her one of those designer "girlie" color guns so you can both go to the range and shoot "together."

AH

Dear Takezo,

Who pissed in your corn flakes, and when did it happen? Are you planning on getting over it soon?

When referring to rugrats as "snot-noses" it is usually considered a Good Thing[suP]TM[/suP] to add a smiley-face after that term.

I for one would enjoy learning from your experience (I note the singular tense used) in buying the distaff side a "girlie"-colored gun, and of "shooting together" afterwards. Also, I'd appreciate learning how you determined that "If you keep getting the big nasty, black guns--she'll never get into it."

skidmark

Dustin

imported post

Takezo wrote:

AH

I own an XDM Bi-Tone. She like the way it looks. The issue is that she's pregnant and the sound and concussion from the gun might do harm to the little one inside.

So she's waiting to talk to her doctor.

For now I keep the gun in the top drawer of my dresser by the bed.

1st - He would need to know where it is, and what it is. He's never really seen it to begin with.

2nd - He'd have to drag a chair there, all by himself, and I still think he wouldn't be able to reach it.

3rd - My wife is a Homemaker, so he would have to do all this without her seeing.

4th - When I'm not home and it is in condition 3.

So for now we are waiting to get a safe.

Takezo

imported post

Little rug-rags are completely ingenious. You will be surprised at how ingenious they are and will become--top drawer don't mean anything. Gun box as in the photo above is minimun for your security needs.

Also... pink guns to work her up to the big, black nasty boom-sticks. Always works.

Also... I don't use smiley faces, etc. They are the refuge of the dumbed-down.

ST

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
Dustin wrote:
FYI - NO SCARE TACTICS, I'm not going to scare my wife into "carry" submission.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.  On the most fundamental level, most people who carry do so because they're afraid of what might (but probably wouldn't) happen if they're not armed.  I've read first-hand accounts by people who bought a gun for the first time and/or started carrying because something happened to them or they read about a shooting and were afraid and therefore decided to take responsibility for their own protection.

Fear is a powerful motivator.  The next time a mall or church shooting happens, ask your wife if she would have been afraid if she had been there.  Then ask her, "If you ever find yourself in that sort of situation, would you like to be carrying a gun, or would you prefer to wait for what would seem a very long time for the police to arrive, hoping all the while that the shooter didn't see you?"

I don't carry a gun because I'm afraid -- I'm not afraid. Fear is a dangerous emotion. If you use fear to manipulate, how are you any better than the gun-grabbers?

Prophet

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Have you tried telling her how "hot and sexy" she would look with a gun hanging on her hip?
+1 never underestimate a girls willingness to throw on some iron if it thinks it makes her look sexy...and by think i mean does.

NWGirl

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Have you tried telling her how "hot and sexy" she would look with a gun hanging on her hip?

You know, that's not the reason I carry but it sure doesn't hurt when he comes home and gives me the look and growls at me because I'm wearing his favorite jeans and a gun! :D

tarzan1888

imported post

NWGirl wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

You know, that's not the reason I carry but it sure doesn't hurt when he comes home and gives me the look and growls at me because I'm wearing his favorite jeans and a gun! :D

Yea and you thought a two dollar pistol was hot. :D

Tarzan

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dustin wrote:
I own an XDM Bi-Tone. She like the way it looks. The issue is that she's pregnant and the sound and concussion from the gun might do harm to the little one inside.

So she's waiting to talk to her doctor.

For now I keep the gun in the top drawer of my dresser by the bed.

1st - He would need to know where it is, and what it is. He's never really seen it to begin with.

2nd - He'd have to drag a chair there, all by himself, and I still think he wouldn't be able to reach it.

3rd - My wife is a Homemaker, so he would have to do all this without her seeing.

4th - When I'm not home and it is in condition 3.

So for now we are waiting to get a safe.

Speaking as the father of 6, I heartily recommend that you read the following article:

http://www.corneredcat.com/Kids/childproofisnt.aspx

The safe is likely a VERY good idea.

As to the question of possible harm to the in-utero one, I'd suggest erring on the side of caution. Kids DO hear things in the womb and can get used to certain sounds - like the mother'sand father's voices. We weren't gunowners at the time my wife bore our brood, so I never had that specific question come up. If your pediatrician doesn't know, ask him to help you find someone who does. I don't thnk they make fetus-sized hearing protection. :)(Note: not smiley impaired)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Takezo wrote:
Little rug-rags are completely ingenious. You will be surprised at how ingenious they are and will become--top drawer don't mean anything. Gun box as in the photo above is minimun for your security needs.
Thanks for toning down the way you refer to little ones. And I agree that top-drawer is not "safe" even when they are unable to crawl - because it sets up an idea in the mind of the parents that they can think ahead of a little explorer.
Also... pink guns to work her up to the big, black nasty boom-sticks. Always works.
I asked above if you would share your experience:
"I for one would enjoy learning from your experience (I note the singular tense used) in buying the distaff side a "girlie"-colored gun, and of "shooting together" afterwards. Also, I'd appreciate learning how you determined that "If you keep getting the big nasty, black guns--she'll never get into it."
I'd still like to learn from your experience. Please share and enlighten me. I feel that others would also like to hear of and learn from your experience (singular tense noted).

ST
Then I guess we will have to take you at whatever face value we can, as there will be no way of knowing if you are being cute. sarcastic, or joking in what you post = unless of course you tell us to take you at something other than face value. I do note with appreciation the change in your "attitude" in posting over the last 24 hours. Perhaps some remarks you received have sunk in? I'm hoping so.

stay safe.

skidmark

Takezo

imported post

I do note with appreciation the change in your "attitude" in posting over the last 24 hours.

Attitude!!! ATTITUDE!!! Whadayamean attitude!!!:celebrate

There you go--I threw one in to make you feel better. lol

Keep it loaded.

ST

MetalChris

imported post

Takezo wrote:
Nice. You've just described about 95% of the folks on this board.

Jackass.

Dustin

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Takezo wrote:

Jackass.

Smiley's AKA Emoticons express EMOTIONS. It has nothing to do with anyone's education level. It's a helper in describing one's feelings b/c text is often taken OUT of context.

I could write;

Yea, what a wonderul day :X

OR

Yea, what a wonderful day :cool:

See ?

MetalChris

imported post

Dustin wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
Takezo wrote:

Jackass.

Smiley's AKA Emoticons express EMOTIONS. It has nothing to do with anyone's education level. It's a helper in describing one's feelings b/c text is often taken OUT of context.

I could write;

Yea, what a wonderul day :X

OR

Yea, what a wonderful day :cool:

See ?

I meant that 95% of the people on this board (myself included) use emoticons, not that 95% of the people on this board are dumbed down. ;)