Thread: Left handed firearms

Post imported post

Looking for suggestions for left handed firearms, long guns and pistols.
    Need to combat brainwashing by local school district before it is too late.

tripod mounted 50 cal is overkill for my little range....... but would probably help
    get the main fireant queen. "I swear they were going to attack officer"

Post imported post

Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Post imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
    Left Hand Rifles and Accessories - Never done business with them but they seem to have a large list of long guns for southpaws.Springfield XD series pistolsall appear to beambidextrous. I know the XD .45 I have is. I think S&W even has (or had) a revolver that was made for left handers

Activist Member

Post imported post

The most heavily advertised guns for lefties (in the gunmagazines I read) are the Stag lefty Ar-15 and the Charter Arms southpaw revolvers.

I don't have any experience with either of them though.

Post imported post

SFDoc wrote:
    SlackwareRobert wrote:

tripod mounted 50 cal is overkill for my little range....... but would probably help
    get the main fireant queen. "I swear they were going to attack officer"

Left Hand Rifles and Accessories - Never done business with them but they seem to have a large list of long guns for southpaws.Springfield XD series pistolsall appear to beambidextrous. I know the XD .45 I have is. I think S&W even has (or had) a revolver that was made for left handers
    To add to this list is the Ruger P-series and CZ85.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
    SNIP [ The OP ]
    No offense.

Would you please re-phrase that first part before some literal-minded anti-gunner comes along,reads it, and takes it the wrong way. Some people are very sensitive to certain words occurring in combination. The second part following right on its heels is open to alarming alternate interpretation, too.

Maybe the quoters can edit their quotes, too.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    SlackwareRobert wrote:
    SNIP [ The OP]
    No offense.

Would you please re-phrase that first part before some literal-minded anti-gunner comes along,reads it, and takes it the wrong way. Some people are very sensitive to certain words occurring in combination. The second part following right on its heels is open to alarming alternate interpretation, too.

Maybe the quoters can edit their quotes, too.
    Ok, I'll admit it, I'm missing it, but I am rather tired and dragging this morning.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

WALTHER P-5 Semi-Auto Pistol

The P5 has an unusual feature which has made it an eyecatching choice for some left-handed shooters: it ejects spent casings to the left, rather than the right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_P5

$400.00 at Century

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=HG1564%2DG

Post imported post

I think citizen was talking about changing some of the wording. When I first read the OP, didn't even give it a thought how that one sentence could be taken out of context.

Post imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
    Actually, as a fellow Southpaw, I know exactly what he means by this.

Forcing left-handed children to be right-handed can cause learning disabilities and other problems in young kids.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

SFDoc wrote:
    Springfield XD series pistolsall appear to beambidextrous. I know the XD .45 I have is.
    :?Yours must be one-of-a-kind.

The mag release is ambi. The (optional) manual safety on the .45 is ambi. The slide lock lever is not.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Do you need left handed ammo for these weapons?

Post imported post

Eeyore wrote:
    SFDoc wrote:
    Springfield XD series pistolsall appear to beambidextrous. I know the XD .45 I have is.
    :?Yours must be one-of-a-kind.

The mag release is ambi. The (optional) manual safety on the .45 is ambi. The slide lock lever is not.
    I stand corrected - Ivery seldomuse the slide lockon either the XD or my 1911 and forgot about it.

Post imported post

The only non-lefthanded friendly feature I can find on most modern handguns is the ejection port on the right side. The brass flies across the body, but it's manageable.

Left mounted:

1) Mag release: Use index finger
    2) Slide release: Use index finger
    3) Decocker: Use index finger

No reaching around with the thumb is required! No grip changes either.

Don't worry about it. Even a "right handed" bolt action is an ASSET in the hands of a left handed shooter in the prone position. The support hand works the bolt and you don't have break your grip!

AK-47s and M1As are MADE for left handed shooters. You can work the safety with your support hand thumb (wrap it around the front of the mag and part of the mag). Reaching the bolt is easy too...it's right there for the right hand to work and you can keep your grip and your eyes on the target.

Post imported post

CREbralFIX is on to something. I'm a lefty. Running a semi-auto like that has worked just fine for years. But you do have to pay close attention to grip fit. You want to be able to manipulate the controls without having to really shift your hand around a lot.

As for left handed long guns? I own a couple of those LH stags. EXCELLENT weapons. I did have to make one modification on them. I had to bevel the inside upper edge of the mag release to not catch on the ejection port cover to be able to close it easily.(On the LH models the cover flips up instead of down.)

Shooting standardFALs, A5s, ARs, AKsand 10-22s, 870sand garands left handed has been no problem for me, with one exception: Shooting a supressed RH AR results in ALOT of crap hitting you in the face out of the ejection port due to the longer pressure curve.

The one rifle I don't like shooting off my left shoulder? An M1 carbine. About every third case pops me high on the forehead. Sometimesthe sharpcasemouth hits resulting in a little blood.

Savage makes a full line of LH bolt actions. Remington 700s and browning A bolts are out there in lefty configurations also.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    Do you need left handed ammo for these weapons?
    Nahh, just load the bullets upsidedown.:celebrate

I remember when he was 4, and wiped out on nephews bike. I had
    him convinced it was because the bike was right handed. :P

Tried shooting the 40 year old .22 I learned on left handed, and
    there is no way to comfortably fire it lefthanded.
    I am swayed towards the 9mm AR-15 lefthanded model at the moment.
    I remeber shooting m-16 lefty, and even with the brass deflector, you were hit
    half the time, but that was compared to a 10th of the time right handed.
    Always claimed left hand status, then shot right handed with the deflector for no hits.

But will use revolver for the pistol for now, when he gets his own he can look for
    lefthanded, or maybe we will build a lefthanded semi together in a few years.
    That just leaves, "should I make left twist rifling?" and totaly reverse a "normal"
    pistol.

Post imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
    The most heavily advertised guns for lefties (in the gunmagazines I read) are the Stag lefty Ar-15 and the Charter Arms southpaw revolvers.

I don't have any experience with either of them though.
    I have a Charter Southpaw (.38 spl).

I found the cylinder release (on the thumb side) to be convenient, but then I had to learn to work the ejector and load bullets with my right hand, which was a bit awkward.

After firing about 450 rounds, the cylinder has developed excessive rotational "slop" in the "lockup" mode (trigger pulled fully, hammer released), to the point where I need to send it back for repair. The spindle also wobbles in the crane when the cylinder is open.

I've had it jam, probably due to bad ammo.

Left handed accessories (e.g. grip-mounted laser sights, holsters) are not so prevalent.

I carry a Ruger SP101 now.

Post imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
    The one rifle I don't like shooting off my left shoulder? An M1 carbine. About every third case pops me high on the forehead. Sometimesthe sharpcasemouth hits resulting in a little blood.
    Geez! I'm glad that that happens to someone besides me! I was beginning to think that I was the only southpaw shooter (I'm a righty for everything else, just left eye dominate) that had issues with the M1. I like the weapon, love the cartridge, can't stand sharp, hot brass bouncing off my shaved dome!

Post imported post

Both Remington and Savage do make real lefthanded bolt guns. My wife is a lefty and has had both. She still has a Remington 700BDL in 270 Win. Charter Arms is making a true lefthanded revolver.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...paw_93820.html

With the CNC machining capabilities I amazed someone hasn't gotten off their rears and marketed a true lefthand auto pistol. In the past there were a couple of companies that made lefthanded 1911s, but both are defunct now.