• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Left handed firearms

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Looking for suggestions for left handed firearms, long guns and pistols.
Need to combat brainwashing by local school district before it is too late.

tripod mounted 50 cal is overkill for my little range....... but would probably help
get the main fireant queen. "I swear they were going to attack officer"

SFDoc

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:

Left Hand Rifles and Accessories - Never done business with them but they seem to have a large list of long guns for southpaws.Springfield XD series pistolsall appear to beambidextrous. I know the XD .45 I have is. I think S&W even has (or had) a revolver that was made for left handers

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

The most heavily advertised guns for lefties (in the gunmagazines I read) are the Stag lefty Ar-15 and the Charter Arms southpaw revolvers.

I don't have any experience with either of them though.

nova

imported post

SFDoc wrote:
SlackwareRobert wrote:

tripod mounted 50 cal is overkill for my little range....... but would probably help
get the main fireant queen. "I swear they were going to attack officer"

Left Hand Rifles and Accessories - Never done business with them but they seem to have a large list of long guns for southpaws.Springfield XD series pistolsall appear to beambidextrous. I know the XD .45 I have is. I think S&W even has (or had) a revolver that was made for left handers
To add to this list is the Ruger P-series and CZ85.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
SNIP [ The OP ]

No offense.

Would you please re-phrase that first part before some literal-minded anti-gunner comes along,reads it, and takes it the wrong way. Some people are very sensitive to certain words occurring in combination. The second part following right on its heels is open to alarming alternate interpretation, too.

Maybe the quoters can edit their quotes, too.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
SlackwareRobert wrote:
SNIP [ The OP]

No offense.

Would you please re-phrase that first part before some literal-minded anti-gunner comes along,reads it, and takes it the wrong way. Some people are very sensitive to certain words occurring in combination. The second part following right on its heels is open to alarming alternate interpretation, too.

Maybe the quoters can edit their quotes, too.
:question: Ok, I'll admit it, I'm missing it, but I am rather tired and dragging this morning.

SFDoc

imported post

I think citizen was talking about changing some of the wording. When I first read the OP, didn't even give it a thought how that one sentence could be taken out of context.

AbNo

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Actually, as a fellow Southpaw, I know exactly what he means by this.

Forcing left-handed children to be right-handed can cause learning disabilities and other problems in young kids.

SFDoc

imported post

Eeyore wrote:
SFDoc wrote:
Springfield XD series pistolsall appear to beambidextrous. I know the XD .45 I have is.
:?Yours must be one-of-a-kind.

The mag release is ambi. The (optional) manual safety on the .45 is ambi. The slide lock lever is not.
I stand corrected - Ivery seldomuse the slide lockon either the XD or my 1911 and forgot about it.

cREbralFIX

imported post

The only non-lefthanded friendly feature I can find on most modern handguns is the ejection port on the right side. The brass flies across the body, but it's manageable.

Left mounted:

1) Mag release: Use index finger
2) Slide release: Use index finger
3) Decocker: Use index finger

No reaching around with the thumb is required! No grip changes either.

Don't worry about it. Even a "right handed" bolt action is an ASSET in the hands of a left handed shooter in the prone position. The support hand works the bolt and you don't have break your grip!

AK-47s and M1As are MADE for left handed shooters. You can work the safety with your support hand thumb (wrap it around the front of the mag and part of the mag). Reaching the bolt is easy too...it's right there for the right hand to work and you can keep your grip and your eyes on the target.

41 Magnum

imported post

CREbralFIX is on to something. I'm a lefty. Running a semi-auto like that has worked just fine for years. But you do have to pay close attention to grip fit. You want to be able to manipulate the controls without having to really shift your hand around a lot.

As for left handed long guns? I own a couple of those LH stags. EXCELLENT weapons. I did have to make one modification on them. I had to bevel the inside upper edge of the mag release to not catch on the ejection port cover to be able to close it easily.(On the LH models the cover flips up instead of down.)

Shooting standardFALs, A5s, ARs, AKsand 10-22s, 870sand garands left handed has been no problem for me, with one exception: Shooting a supressed RH AR results in ALOT of crap hitting you in the face out of the ejection port due to the longer pressure curve.

The one rifle I don't like shooting off my left shoulder? An M1 carbine. About every third case pops me high on the forehead. Sometimesthe sharpcasemouth hits resulting in a little blood.

Savage makes a full line of LH bolt actions. Remington 700s and browning A bolts are out there in lefty configurations also.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Do you need left handed ammo for these weapons? ;)
Nahh, just load the bullets upsidedown.:celebrate

I remember when he was 4, and wiped out on nephews bike. I had
him convinced it was because the bike was right handed. :p

Tried shooting the 40 year old .22 I learned on left handed, and
there is no way to comfortably fire it lefthanded.
I am swayed towards the 9mm AR-15 lefthanded model at the moment.
I remeber shooting m-16 lefty, and even with the brass deflector, you were hit
half the time, but that was compared to a 10th of the time right handed.
Always claimed left hand status, then shot right handed with the deflector for no hits.

But will use revolver for the pistol for now, when he gets his own he can look for
lefthanded, or maybe we will build a lefthanded semi together in a few years.
That just leaves, "should I make left twist rifling?" and totaly reverse a "normal"
pistol.

2a4all

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
The most heavily advertised guns for lefties (in the gunmagazines I read) are the Stag lefty Ar-15 and the Charter Arms southpaw revolvers.

I don't have any experience with either of them though.
I have a Charter Southpaw (.38 spl).

I found the cylinder release (on the thumb side) to be convenient, but then I had to learn to work the ejector and load bullets with my right hand, which was a bit awkward.

After firing about 450 rounds, the cylinder has developed excessive rotational "slop" in the "lockup" mode (trigger pulled fully, hammer released), to the point where I need to send it back for repair. The spindle also wobbles in the crane when the cylinder is open.

I've had it jam, probably due to bad ammo.

Left handed accessories (e.g. grip-mounted laser sights, holsters) are not so prevalent.

I carry a Ruger SP101 now.

The Bull

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
The one rifle I don't like shooting off my left shoulder? An M1 carbine. About every third case pops me high on the forehead. Sometimesthe sharpcasemouth hits resulting in a little blood.
Geez! I'm glad that that happens to someone besides me! I was beginning to think that I was the only southpaw shooter (I'm a righty for everything else, just left eye dominate) that had issues with the M1. I like the weapon, love the cartridge, can't stand sharp, hot brass bouncing off my shaved dome! :(

Bear 45/70

imported post

Both Remington and Savage do make real lefthanded bolt guns. My wife is a lefty and has had both. She still has a Remington 700BDL in 270 Win. Charter Arms is making a true lefthanded revolver.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Southpaw_93820.html

With the CNC machining capabilities I amazed someone hasn't gotten off their rears and marketed a true lefthand auto pistol. In the past there were a couple of companies that made lefthanded 1911s, but both are defunct now.