Thread: Man cleaning gun fires round through 3 apartments

Post imported post

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/jul/...let-through-t/

"INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — An apartment resident accidentally fired his gun while cleaning it, sending a bullet through three other apartments, though no one was struck.

The gun owner, Thomas Gerakaris, 28, of the 2400 block of 57th Circle, Vero Beach, was charged Thursday night with a misdemeanor for culpable negligence. Gerakaris told the Indian River County Sheriff's Office he was cleaning his Glock 40 caliber handgun and forgot to remove the magazine, according to the arrest affidavit. The shot went through his kitchen wall and pierced three other apartments before stopping in the bathroom wall of a neighbor's unit.

Two of the three apartments are vacant, the report said. The resident of one of the apartments was home, but was not in the same room the bullet pierced through, the Sheriff's Office said."

Post imported post

David.Car wrote:
    http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/jul/...let-through-t/

"INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — An apartment resident accidentally fired his gun while cleaning it, sending a bullet through three other apartments, though no one was struck.

The gun owner, Thomas Gerakaris, 28, of the 2400 block of 57th Circle, Vero Beach, was charged Thursday night with a misdemeanor for culpable negligence. Gerakaris told the Indian River County Sheriff's Office he was cleaning his Glock 40 caliber handgun and forgot to remove the magazine, according to the arrest affidavit. The shot went through his kitchen wall and pierced three other apartments before stopping in the bathroom wall of a neighbor's unit.

Two of the three apartments are vacant, the report said. The resident of one of the apartments was home, but was not in the same room the bullet pierced through, the Sheriff's Office said."
    That is why you shouldn't have to pull the trigger to remove the slide.

That is also why some people should not be allowed to have guns. :what:

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:

That is also why some people should not be allowed to have guns. :what:
    That is so true.

I have mentioned this before, but I have an older brother, who taught me all about guns, so I know he knows better. He has had a gun go off while cleaning it, on two different occasions. I just don't get it.

I have never owned a Glock. I have fired one, but never disassembled one, so I didn't know that you had to pull the trigger to remove the slide. That is just one more reason that I will never own a Glock.

Tarzan

Post imported post

well i have a 24/7 pro 9mm, i have to squeeze the trigger to remove the slide... but in order to do so, the magazine has to be out and the slide in its backward position. so there is no way unless your blind and have no fingers to feel, there is no way you can have a round in the chamber and pull the slide off....

i take safety precautions for my own safety when cleaning a gun, pretty soon that dude is going to "accidently" shoot himself.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:
    I have to pull the trigger to remove the slide on my wife's PT111.

Post imported post

Own a Sig myself. You can't take the slide off with a mag in it, no trigger pulling either.

Post imported post

asforme wrote:
    PT111 wrote:
    I have to pull the trigger to remove the slide on my wife's PT111.
    Correct but only after you have locked the slide back, removed the takedown pin and then released the slide lock. If someone is stupid enough to try to clean a gun without removing the magazine then the trigger pull doesn't matter.

Post imported post

I don't understand why he did not unload it before going to clean it?? to me its just common sense....i check/unload my guns before i clean and/or let someone else hold it...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:
    If someone is stupid enough to try to clean a gun without removing the magazine then the trigger pull doesn't matter.
    David.Car wrote:
    Gerakaris told the Indian River County Sheriff's Office he was cleaning his Glock 40 caliber handgun and forgot to remove the magazine, according to the arrest affidavit.
    This guy was just that stupid. Not the guns fault, it would have happened on any gun.

Post imported post

The rules for giving a arms license should be more strict
    Amit

http://www.drugtreatments.com/florida

Post imported post

amit007 wrote:
    The rules for giving a arms license should be more strict
    Amit

http://www.drugtreatments.com/florida
    WTF? Go somewhere else troll.

Post imported post

Amit missed his last treament.