• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man cleaning gun fires round through 3 apartments

David.Car

imported post

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/jul/29/vero-beach-man-cleaning-gun-sends-bullet-through-t/

"INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — An apartment resident accidentally fired his gun while cleaning it, sending a bullet through three other apartments, though no one was struck.

The gun owner, Thomas Gerakaris, 28, of the 2400 block of 57th Circle, Vero Beach, was charged Thursday night with a misdemeanor for culpable negligence. Gerakaris told the Indian River County Sheriff's Office he was cleaning his Glock 40 caliber handgun and forgot to remove the magazine, according to the arrest affidavit. The shot went through his kitchen wall and pierced three other apartments before stopping in the bathroom wall of a neighbor's unit.

Two of the three apartments are vacant, the report said. The resident of one of the apartments was home, but was not in the same room the bullet pierced through, the Sheriff's Office said."

PT111

imported post

David.Car wrote:
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/jul/29/vero-beach-man-cleaning-gun-sends-bullet-through-t/

"INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — An apartment resident accidentally fired his gun while cleaning it, sending a bullet through three other apartments, though no one was struck.

The gun owner, Thomas Gerakaris, 28, of the 2400 block of 57th Circle, Vero Beach, was charged Thursday night with a misdemeanor for culpable negligence. Gerakaris told the Indian River County Sheriff's Office he was cleaning his Glock 40 caliber handgun and forgot to remove the magazine, according to the arrest affidavit. The shot went through his kitchen wall and pierced three other apartments before stopping in the bathroom wall of a neighbor's unit.

Two of the three apartments are vacant, the report said. The resident of one of the apartments was home, but was not in the same room the bullet pierced through, the Sheriff's Office said."

That is why you shouldn't have to pull the trigger to remove the slide. :banghead:

That is also why some people should not be allowed to have guns. :what:

tarzan1888

imported post

PT111 wrote:
That is why you shouldn't have to pull the trigger to remove the slide. :banghead:

That is also why some people should not be allowed to have guns. :what:

That is so true.

I have mentioned this before, but I have an older brother, who taught me all about guns, so I know he knows better. He has had a gun go off while cleaning it, on two different occasions. I just don't get it.

I have never owned a Glock. I have fired one, but never disassembled one, so I didn't know that you had to pull the trigger to remove the slide. That is just one more reason that I will never own a Glock.

Tarzan

Dr.Coy

imported post

well i have a 24/7 pro 9mm, i have to squeeze the trigger to remove the slide... but in order to do so, the magazine has to be out and the slide in its backward position. so there is no way unless your blind and have no fingers to feel, there is no way you can have a round in the chamber and pull the slide off....

i take safety precautions for my own safety when cleaning a gun, pretty soon that dude is going to "accidently" shoot himself.

PT111

imported post

asforme wrote:
PT111 wrote:
I have to pull the trigger to remove the slide on my wife's PT111.
Correct but only after you have locked the slide back, removed the takedown pin and then released the slide lock. If someone is stupid enough to try to clean a gun without removing the magazine then the trigger pull doesn't matter.

buketdude

imported post

I don't understand why he did not unload it before going to clean it?? to me its just common sense....i check/unload my guns before i clean and/or let someone else hold it...

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
If someone is stupid enough to try to clean a gun without removing the magazine then the trigger pull doesn't matter.
David.Car wrote: users/10241.html
Gerakaris told the Indian River County Sheriff's Office he was cleaning his Glock 40 caliber handgun and forgot to remove the magazine, according to the arrest affidavit.
This guy was just that stupid. Not the guns fault, it would have happened on any gun.