• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

purchase?

joerandall89

imported post

can you legally purchase a handgun from a non-dealer. (example: guy off ksl) at the age's of 18-20? and if so can you get me a link for the law. i am going to meet this guy about a 17.hmr revolver he has and my mom doesnt really want to go with me so i can get it. and it makes me feel like a little kid:?mommy will you go with me to meet this guy. haha :lol:

LovesHisXD45

imported post

joerandall89 wrote:
can you legally purchase a handgun from a non-dealer. (example: guy off ksl) at the age's of 18-20? and if so can you get me a link for the law. i am going to meet this guy about a 17.hmr revolver he has and my mom doesnt really want to go with me so i can get it. and it makes me feel like a little kid:?mommy will you go with me to meet this guy. haha :lol:

[size=-1]UTAH STATE LEGISLATURE[/size]
[size=-1]Home | Site Map | Calendar | Code/Constitution | House | Senate | Search[/size]
76-10-524. Purchase of firearms pursuant to federal law.
This part will allow purchases of firearms and ammunition pursuant to U.S.C. Title 18 Chapter 44 Sec. 922b(3).

Amended by Chapter 360, 2004 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WordPerfect 76_10_052400.ZIP 1,807 Bytes

[line]
Sections in this Chapter|Chapters in this Title|All Titles|Legislative Home Page

Last revised: Wednesday, July 23, 2008
I know there is more code somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I know sarge has posted some code on another thread about this too.

Kevin

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

[font="Arial,Helvetica"] 76-10-509. Possession of dangerous weapon by minor.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a dangerous weapon unless he:
(a) has the permission of his parent or guardian to have the weapon; or
(b) is accompanied by a parent or guardian while he has the weapon in his possession.
(2) Any minor under 14 years of age in possession of a dangerous weapon shall be accompanied by a responsible adult.
(3) Any person who violates this section is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.

[/font][font="Arial,Helvetica"] 76-10-509.4. Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by minors.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a handgun.
(2) Except as provided by federal law, a minor under 18 years of age may not possess the following:
(a) a sawed-off rifle or sawed-off shotgun; or
(b) a fully automatic weapon.
(3) Any person who violates Subsection (1) is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.
(4) Any person who violates Subsection (2) is guilty of a third degree felony. [/font]

scorpioajr

imported post

joerandall89 wrote:
can you legally purchase a handgun from a non-dealer...

Yes - what they said. I just wanted to add: that anytime I have purchased a firearm from a private party (KSL, etc) I always draw up a nice little bill of sale before i go. Complete with serial numbers, signatures, DL numbers, and various contact information. I have done this a grand total of twice and each time, the other guy was MORE than happy to fill out the information. Kinda made him feel better too. Just my .02

ADDED: Why would anyone want to do this? well, its just a bit easier to prove ownership. When would you have to prove ownership? i really have had no use for the 2 that i have. But its good peace of mind i think.