• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Amazing Results of a Shooting.

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:
MadHatter66 wrote:
Its like taking a hammer, if you swing a standard hammer at a nail high speed you will drive the nail in... But if you drop a 8lb sledge on the same nail with less velocity there will be a greater transfer of energy into the nail, allowing you to drive the nail in with less strikes...
So that comparison is like the .22 vs a 12 guage slug? :)

Wll, the lastest termial ballistic tests show a lot deeper penetration in large diameter bullets when fired at slow to moderate velocities.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/Penetration.htm

Penetration: the 45-70 & 458 Magnums Randy Garrett

The following article is based on bullet penetration test results as measured in water-saturated penetration materials (wet newspapers).

Water is the primary substance of life, and constitutes about 90% of the content of all mammals. I have observed that some "testers" have

chosen wood boards or dry newspapers for penetration testing material, and this is a very poor choice, which in no way simulates the

characteristics of a bullet impact with animal flesh. Wood tends to channel the bullet path, and is less demonstrative of the terminal instabilities

inherent to non-expanding bullets when impacting game animals, and is thus an inferior material for the testing of bullet penetration characteristics.

Water-saturated penetration materials such as newspapers or ballistic gelatin are far superior with regards to their ability to demonstrate the

terminal instabilities that typically occur when non-expanding bullets impact live animal flesh.

There are few things in the world of ballistics less well understood than the issues relating to comparative penetration. It is commonly believed that the faster one drives a solid bullet, the deeper the penetration. We see this all the time in the various attempts, via new calibers, to achieve higher velocity for improved performance on heavy game. The current rage among big bore shooters seems to be the 458 Lott, since it achieves a good 200-300 fps higher velocity than the 458 Winchester Magnum. It is claimed that the new 458 Lott is an improvement over the 458 Winchester Magnum since its higher velocity supposedly results in more lethal impact-effect and deeper penetration. This, it is claimed, is just the ticket for busting the heaviest game. Of course, the new 458 Lott also achieves greater kinetic energy as a result of its higher velocity, and this is also a convincing characteristic for those brave souls in pursuit of the heaviest game.

Despite all the impressive "science" deployed to reinforce the assertion that higher speed projectiles are more capable of inflicting the deep penetration and impact-effect required to reliably anchor heavy game, one finds that these assertions simply do not withstand common sense, repeatable penetration testing. In fact, if one conducts these tests, one finds that there is nothing that can be observed which supports the assertion that the faster one drives non-expanding solids the deeper they penetrate.

Very interestingly, if one takes the Hornady 500-grain .458 diameter solid bullet and compares the penetration that results from impact speeds varying from about 1500-fps to 2500-fps, one finds that the higher impact speeds produce the least penetration. When driven to about 1500-fps (as the 45-70 will do) one finds that such solids produce nearly 6-feet of penetration in wet newspapers. When the same bullet is driven to about 2100-fps (as is characteristic of the 458 Winchester Magnum) one finds that the penetration is reduced to about 4 to 4 and 1/2 feet. When one tests the same bullet at 2300-2400 fps (as is characteristic of the 458 Lott) one finds that the penetration comes up nearly 20% short of that produced by the 458 Winchester. And when one tests the same bullet at the blistering speeds characteristic of the mighty 460 Weatherby Magnum, one finds that the penetration achieved is the most shallow produced by the various 458s.

What is apparent from testing is that penetration stops increasing at impact speeds above about 1250-1300 fps. When the impact speeds significantly surpass about 1600-fps, there is a very definite and measurable decrease in penetration depth. This raises some interesting issues regarding the relationship between kinetic energy generation and impact-effect. Although higher velocity projectiles always generate more kinetic energy they clearly do not produce deeper penetration, and when the velocities reach the levels common to today's magnums, the increases in velocity result in significantly reduced penetration. Simply stated, the faster they strike the faster they stop[/i]. If the builders of the various 458 Magnum calibers would simply advocate driving the heaviest bullets their calibers can push to about 1500-1600 fps, the super-powerful magnums would produce penetration depth unobtainable with 500-grain solid bullets at any speed. A 650-700 grain 458 solid at 1550-fps from the magnum 458s would produce penetration that would clearly redefine the 458 Magnums. However there is no evidence that such developments are soon to appear.

Fortunately for all of us who love the 45-70, it can be considered to be the deepest penetrating of the various 458 calibers. This is not due to any particular inherent superiority, but due to the 45-70’s "inability" to achieve the velocity with heavy bullets that leads to decreases in penetration. The reasons why high impact speeds reduce penetration are not well understood. However, anyone who takes the time to run comparative penetration tests will find that those of us who pack a good 45-70 with heavy bullets need not take a back seat to any other 458 caliber, especially when the game is heavy and the penetration requirements are great.

[align=center]www.GarrettCartridges.com[/align]

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
SNIP The reasons why high impact speeds reduce penetration are not well understood.

I wonder if it is anything like what happens to an aircraft as it approaches the speed of sound? Just a different medium than air.

Also, many years ago artillerists discovered that no matter how much powder they put behind the cannon-ball, they could only achieve a certain max distance. Adding powder did not increase the distance once a certain charge/distance was reached. The effect was later determined to be caused by something having to do with the speed of sound as a threshold or limiting factor. Not the speed itself, of course, but something about the medium (air) when an object was trying to pass through it at that speed or greater.

I wonder if there is a characteristic of water's resistance to being parted that creates a threshold velocity where trying to go faster increases the mechanical resistance. Sort of like, the harder the water is pushed aside, the harder it resists being pushed aside.

I'lljust bet.

Also, water is not as compressible as air. Which I'm guessing is really what is happening as the bullet passes through. Its trying to compress the water right around the front of itas it moves through.

I'll bet that's it. The water can move out of the way at lower velocities as the molecules bang into each other heading out from the bullet's tip and front curve.Water is not particularly compressible. So you reach a point where it can't move out of the way but so fast because of its density and mass. And it can't compress but so much. I'll bet its connected to how fast water can move or be shoved aside. After that you are trying to compress the water, since it can't move out of the way any faster.

Its the water's resistance to compression.

Good. Next physics problem.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
SNIP The reasons why high impact speeds reduce penetration are not well understood.

I wonder if it is anything like what happens to an aircraft as it approaches the speed of sound? Just a different medium than air.

Also, many years ago artillerists discovered that no matter how much powder they put behind the cannon-ball, they could only achieve a certain max distance. Adding powder did not increase the distance once a certain charge/distance was reached. The effect was later determined to be caused by something having to do with the speed of sound as a threshold or limiting factor. Not the speed itself, of course, but something about the medium (air) when an object was trying to pass through it at that speed or greater.

I wonder if there is a characteristic of water's resistance to being parted that creates a threshold velocity where trying to go faster increases the mechanical resistance. Sort of like, the harder the water is pushed aside, the harder it resists being pushed aside.

I'lljust bet.
I asked my youngest daughter's physic teacher about it once. He supposed that if the bullet is travelling faster than the shock wave can move through the medium it is moving in, then the shockwave would be denser and slow the bullet faster. No proof of this but he was way smarter than I'll ever be in physics.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

I'lljust bet.
I asked my youngest daughter's physic teacher about it once. He supposed that if the bullet is travelling faster than the shock wave can move through the medium it is moving in, then the shockwave would be denser and slow the bullet faster. No proof of this but he was way smarter than I'll ever be in physics.

I think we're saying the same thing just using different words.

Its not really a matter of smarts. In this case its just a matter of knocking the first molecule into the next, which in turn hits the next...and following that little logic chain along. I just happened to remember that water isn't particularly compressible.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

I'lljust bet.

I think we're saying the same thing just using different words.

Its not really a matter of smarts. In this case its just a matter of knocking the first molecule into the next, which in turn hits the next...and following that little logic chain along. I just happened to remember that water isn't particularly compressible.
Live bodies, human or other creatures are mostly water.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Live bodies, human or other creatures are mostly water.

Hey!

This is kinda interesting. I wondered how I could cross-check my explanation with some facts.

I hunted up on-line the speed of a tsunami in the open ocean (water molecules banging into molecules, and each passing the punchalong to the next).

I only checked one source. The highest speed discussed was 650 mph. I wouldn't think a tsunami would push the envelope right to the edge of water's resistance to compress, but I figured the forces involved would come closer than most anything else in nature that was measureable and easy to find on the internet with my limited imagination.

Do the math.A deep ocean tsunami's speed of 650 mphworks out to 953 feet per second. Compare that to the velocity of a .45 ACP. And the rifle velocities discussed in Bear's quoted article. Then go back and look at those gelatin pictures in the thread with the morgue pictures. Compare those bullet velocities.

We're in the ballpark, folks.

Tomahawk

imported post

If the higher velocity is slowing the bullet down via shockwave, then that shockwave is carrying the energy through the medium (the target's guts). All that energy has to go somewhere. If a slower bullet is causing more damage than a faster bullet of the same size and mass, then it must be that the energy is being quickly spread out and dissipated over a wide area upon impact. I would've thought that the shockwave would cause more wound trauma over a wider area, and I'm sure that's why most rifles are deadlier than pistols.

But I'm just musing, here. Ask an engineer...what did you expect?

About the artillerists not being able to get any more muzzle velocity: remember that once you've reached the max powder limit, all the excess powder is burned after the projectile has left the barrel. Makes lots of flash, but no extra speed. Only way to get more speed is to lengthen the barrel. Take a look at the Paris Gun or the Dora railroad guns to see how a long barrel is needed to get super speeds. These guns fired projectiles so high and so far they almost (but not quite) qualified as suborbital space flights.

EDIT: "railroad gun", not "railgun". 2 different animals

Trigger Dr

imported post

I shoot 45/70 competitively. The velocities run right at 1150-1225 fps with a 530 grain cast lead bullet. At 200 meters the bullet is stable and very accurate, at 300 m accuracy tends to decrease a bit, at 385 m the effects are very apparent. this is why the 385m target is regarded as the hardest to clean. at 500m accuracy is back. Seems a little hard to understand, but...

At this velocity, the bullet is entering and leaving the "transonic" zone. The transonic zone is the area that encompasses the speed of sound. The bullet,entering this zone,( about 300 m)encounters buffeting the same as an aircraft does when reaching mach1. Once the bullet leaves the transonic zone (about 400m) stability is restored and accuracy returns.

The bullet traveling at a MV of 1150-1225 will shed velocity, depending upon ballistic coefficient,to correspond with the instability at those distances.

At the next Picnic (Mason County) I will gladly discuss this phenomenon with any who show an interest.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SNIP About the artillerists not being able to get any more muzzle velocity: remember that once you've reached the max powder limit, all the excess powder is burned after the projectile has left the barrel. Makes lots of flash, but no extra speed. Only way to get more speed is to lengthen the barrel. Take a look at the Paris Gun or the Dora railroad guns to see how a long barrel is needed to get super speeds. These guns fired projectiles so high and so far they almost (but not quite) qualified as suborbital space flights.

The History Channel or science show specifically referenced the speed of sound.

I considered the hyper-sonic aspect of modern projectiles and longer barrels. It occurred to me that the big difference is that a cannon-ball has a lot more forward-facing surface area, in a manner of speaking. Thus, I'm guessingits trying to compress more air, moreabruptly than an aerodynamic pointed shell.

Bear 45/70

imported post

When Randy Garrett first published his test results, he said he couldn't explain it but he could duplicate the results. That makes it fact and not theory.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
SNIP At the next Picnic (Mason County) I will gladly discuss this phenomenon with any who show an interest.

Of course. Aerodynamics are tested and well understood by some.

We're talking about what happens inside the meat target. Bear posted an article above with info to the effect that it is observed that a .458 starts losing penetration as the velocity is increased beyond a certain point.

I'm guessing the same vectors apply. Its just that water is the main medium in meat, instead of air.

Bear, e-mail your article's author and tell him to look into fluid dynamics. That its probably the same forces involved with air, just a different medium.

I'll bet somebody somewhere has already figured all this out already.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
If the higher velocity is slowing the bullet down via shockwave, then that shockwave is carrying the energy through the medium (the target's guts). All that energy has to go somewhere. If a slower bullet is causing more damage than a faster bullet of the same size and mass, then it must be that the energy is being quickly spread out and dissipated over a wide area upon impact. I would've thought that the shockwave would cause more wound trauma over a wider area, and I'm sure that's why most rifles are deadlier than pistols.
Part of it is the definition of the shock-wave. "Wave" is just as accurate, I'm thinking. Its the molecules moving, each banging into the next.

At slower velocities the bullet is just encountering the inertia of the water. At the point you start pushing the water molecules aside faster than water molecules can move because of the next one in line, you are trying to compress them.

I'm thinking that once a certain bullet speed is reached, the molecules, being forced towards compression, resist and push back. Not just inertialy, butthe forces inside the atoms. The push-backis resistingthe propagation energy. The bullet and thus its waveslows to (coin a new word here) trans-aquic velocity and then slows to nothing.

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I'll bet somebody somewhere has already figured all this out already.

Maybe, but as an engineer I've noticed that in the firearms world there is a lot of empirical data but not a whole lot of analytical data. Which means people have done a lot of observations and compiled lots of tables whch accurately predict the bahavior of various guns and projectiles in various mediums at various ranges and powder charges, but not a whole lot of scientific explanation or mathematical modeling, at least not for the lay person.

Some of the defense contractors have done a lot of studies, but most of what I see in the private gun owner community, or in publications like American Rifleman, etc., is just simple tabular data with, at best, "Grandpa's Back Porch Theory" given as an explanation.

The Box-O-Truth website is an example. They didn't do any analytical modeling; they just lined up targets and did lots of field testing. That's fine as far as it goes, but you can't extrapolate phenomena if you don't understand the science behind it.

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I'm thinking that once a certain bullet speed is reached, the molecules, being forced towards compression, resist and push back. The push-backis resistingthe propagation energy. The bullet and thus its waveslows to (coin a new word here) trans-aquic velocity and then slows to nothing.
If the bullet slows to nothing, where did all the kinetic energy go? First law of thermodynamics says energy can't be created or destroyed; it has to be transferred somewhere. Those molecules piling up in front of the bullet form a shockwave which carries the bullet's energy away and into the body fluid of the target. More energy = higher amplitude shockwave. Which I would assume could cause damage to tissue.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SNIP If the bullet slows to nothing, where did all the kinetic energy go? First law of thermodynamics says energy can't be created or destroyed; it has to be transferred somewhere. Those molecules piling up in front of the bullet form a shockwave which carries the bullet's energy away and into the body fluid of the target. More energy = higher amplitude shockwave. Which I would assume could cause damage to tissue.

I think the distinction lies between a force that moves the molecules (wave) and a force great enough that it is trying to compress them.

The inertia of the molecules beyond the wave frontis the anvil. Theforce pushing the molecules at the wave front is thehammer, and those poor devils right in between are resisting compression.

Themysteriously missing kinetic energy is the energy that tried to actually compress the water. The rest behaved like a normal wave and propagated through the medium like normal.

I'll bet if you took the temperature of thesystem before and after the event, you'd find the missing energy present as heat. What happenswhen you compress a gas? It getswarmer.

Bear 45/70

imported post

The one thing you guys are ignoring is the time factor. Just how long does it take the bullet to stop after impact. Probably in the neighborhood of .0005 seconds or less. That's not much time to generate heat or do much of anything.

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I'll bet if you took the temperature of thesystem before and after the event, you'd find the missing energy present as heat. What happenswhen you compress a gas? It getswarmer.

Yes, I'm sure lots of the energy gets carried away as heat, especially a supersonic bullet. The creation of the shockwave alone creates a lot of heat. When the space shuttle re-enters the atmosphere, it's the shockwave in front of it that heats it, due to the compression of air molecules that can't get out of the way of a Mach 25 spacecraft fast enough.

About the short period of time it takes for a bullet to stop: that just means the energy transfer happens faster, which should theoretical do more damage. If you drive your car into a tree at high speed, you will stop very fast, and this will do a lot more damage to your car than if you slowly stop over a quarter mile by driving into sand.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SNIP About the short period of time it takes for a bullet to stop: that just means the energy transfer happens faster, which should theoretical do more damage. If you drive your car into a tree at high speed, you will stop very fast, and this will do a lot more damage to your car than if you slowly stop over a quarter mile by driving into sand.
I'm thinking that the energy that tries to compress the water--that quantity that is beyond just overcoming the inertia of the water and setting it in motion--becomes heat.

A good analogy might be a jetliner crash years ago. Two jetliners collided on a foggy runway. One was taking off--going at a good clip. The other was taxiing in, if I recall. One line from the story really struck me and has stayed with me all these years. I think it might be applicable here.

Investigators found that some of the fuselage metal melted at points where the two aircraft struck.

The metal couldn't move out of the way fast enough as a solid, yet energy was being added fast which became heat, so it melted.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
The one thing you guys are ignoring is the time factor. Just how long does it take the bullet to stop after impact. Probably in the neighborhood of .0005 seconds or less. That's not much time to generate heat or do much of anything.

Oh, sure it is.

Look up nuclear physics with regard to a nuclear explosion. Lots and lots of heat can be created in .0005 seconds.

Those nuclear physics cats have figured out temperature and pressure increases to the zillionth of a second as the reaction gets going.

I read an article somewhere about how they shaped some sort of paperor styrofoam shell just to affect the timing of the reaction or to reflect just enough force to boost the reaction speed, I forget which. But in order to know where and how toplace itthey had split the duration of the event into gazillionths of a second.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Very interesting discussion. It is well established that at certain velocities water acts as a solid due to his incompressibility. The first I heard about that concept was as a child when my father explained that to me that when I wanted to jump off something high into the water, a fact that was drilled into pilots in parachute school. That's what kills people who jump into the water off bridges high enough for them to reach near terminal velocity before hitting the water surface.

Look at water jugs or watermelons. At some cross section/velocity the bullet just goes straight through, at another the water jug or watermelon will explode. Small, pointed and boat-tailed rounds moving really fast really penetrate. Larger caliber pistol wad cutters tend to cause explosions (I loved finding over ripe melons and cucumbers in my grandparents garden). I would anticipate that somewhat similar effects occur in a mammal. However, skin does a really good job of keeping everything together which is I would guess is why we don't see abdomens exploding from certain rounds.

I'm sure that at the major ammo manufacturers they have engineers who have worked out all this stuff and there are probably ballistics formulas, I would guess based on fluid dynamics, that are used to calculate the balance between bullet weight, cross section, shape and velocity. Still, as with any commercial enterprise, that doesn't mean that a product that doesn't quite do what it is advertised to do in quite the way it is advertised to do it isn't marketed.