Thread: Recomendations for walk?

Post imported post

I am a new member to the site and think that open carry demonstations are a great idea. I hope through this that maybe we can show the public that guns are not the problem, as well as get rid of some of the fear people have about them. I am interested in knowing what it takes to set up a gathering. What are the best ways to notify people, as well as what are some of the problems to look out for. How do you handle the police as far as notification? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO dustin. As far as how things get put together it has been MY experience that they all start very simply. Read here and take a look at how this event came to be

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13510.html

So far all of the events I have attended were put together VERY similar to the one in the above thread. Come on out IF you can make it.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Welcome dustin.I am also a newer member and I have found a lot of great info and people on this site. Hope you enjoy your stay and can make it to the warren picnic!

Post imported post

dustin56 wrote:
    . How do you handle the police as far as notification?
    Leave them alone and they leave you alone.

I know you're from Ann Arbor, and probably used to getting messed with by cops with things like parking tickets, but remember, OC is legal, and almost never challeneged by police. Even in Lansing, when we had a picnic nect to a big charity walk, right by the PD and Capitol building, the police left us alone. :celebrate

If they mess with you beyond a few questions, as in unlawful search, seizure, or arrest in a case lacking any form of evidence of criminal activity, you can sue the bajesus out of them. You could probably even get a lawyer to work on comission to sue the PD if they violate your rights. But again, that's exceedingly unlikely.

In terms of the entire country and not just Michigan, problems traditionally happen when someone calls the police to ask questions about "if OC would be okay with them". It's like calling to ask their permission to wear a pair of tan shorts on friday. It's legal, and none of their business. But if you ask, they'll tell you it's illegal and you'd get arrested, just so they can't get in trouble. Remember, cops are allowed to lie, and often do. So leave em alone.:?

The one exception to that I would make is if you're simply trying to educate them, and not get their blessing for a single event. Venator has experienced success doing that.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

dustin56 wrote:
    I am a new member to the site and think that open carry demonstations are a great idea. I hope through this that maybe we can show the public that guns are not the problem, as well as get rid of some of the fear people have about them. I am interested in knowing what it takes to set up a gathering. What are the best ways to notify people, as well as what are some of the problems to look out for. How do you handle the police as far as notification? Any other suggestions are welcome.
    Welcome. A word for all the members. We don't like to call them demonstrations. Sounds too confrontational. What we do is have get-togethers, for lunch and recreation. We just have happen to be open carrying our handguns which is a right recognized by the State. We are not demonstrating. Demonstration may require you to get a local permit to stage them. We don't want to be in violation of any laws, do we. Words have meaning choose them well.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.