Thread: Hi

Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Former lurker here checking in. Lots of great information here - Thanks!
    I was wondering about OC/CC in Kent county parks, specifically Millenium Park. My family and I frequent Kent trails and the park quite often during the summer months. I usually carry while on the bike paths, but noticed that the park bans firearms (see section 25 of the park ordinance )
    Is this legal? I thought that local ordinances can not supercede state law. I haven't contacted the County parks about this yet as I want to make sure my ducks are in line.
    Thanks for the info.

Silverwood, Michigan

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO. In response to your question about local ordinances i refer you here...

3) No local ordinance concerning firearm possession is enforceable due to Michigan’s preemption law.

In 1990, the Michigan legislature enacted MCL 123.1102 which provides, in pertinent part: A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

Also as a new member i suggest you check out this thread!

Once again welcome to OCDO enjoy your stay, we have a great bunch here.

EDIT: Also if you would like to get your feet wet with an open carry experience. The next planned event can be found here.