• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Beach police shoot an L.A. Cop

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WOW - I can't wait to hear the details behind this one!
I hope the officer recovers quickly.
He may become a hero of the OC movement, having done more to keep LEOs' weapons holstered than any of us!

thorvaldr

imported post

Fox news take on this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,394923,00.html

LOS ANGELES — Long Beach police officers shot and wounded an off-duty Los Angeles police officer early Wednesday, authorities confirmed.

Officer Jason Geggie, a 1 1/2-year veteran of the Los Angeles Police Department, was shot after Long Beach officers responded to a call about a person brandishing a gun while walking down the street, Long Beach police Sgt. Dina Zapalski said.

Officers arriving at the scene on Mira Mar Avenue shot Geggie, 26, in the arm and torso.

"The officers got there and found the suspect in the area," Zapalski said. "When they went to contact him, he was armed with a firearm, and the circumstances led to an officer-involved shooting."

She did not give additional details but said Geggie pointed a gun toward officers.

The Long Beach officer who fired his weapon was placed on standard three-day administrative leave, Zapalski said.

Geggie, a Long Beach resident currently assigned to the LAPD's central traffic division, was taken to a local hospital and was in stable condition.

He was booked for investigation of two counts of exhibiting a firearm in a threatening manner, including once in the presence of a police officer.

Zapalski said investigators were trying to determine why Geggie was armed.

"We're still trying to figure that out," she said. "We have no idea why he was walking down the street with a firearm."

Long Beach police said a gun was recovered at the scene and none of its officers were injured.

Both police departments were investigating the shooting.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

bullets flying, all for public safety... oh except those bullets that were flying.

LE saved the world once again! without them two ol boys their with badages and pistols think of what could've happened!!!!!

imperialism2024

imported post

johnnyb wrote:
bullets flying, all for public safety... oh except those bullets that were flying.

LE saved the world once again! without them two ol boys their with badages and pistols think of what could've happened!!!!!
If you're going to LEO-bash, you may as well make it coherent... [Edited to add: ;)]

At any rate, given the LE inclination to conceal when off-duty, I'm tempted to believe that the shootee wasn't peaceably OCing. I'll wait for more facts to come out, though.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
johnnyb wrote:

If you're going to LEO-bash, you may as well make it coherent...

At any rate, given the LE inclination to conceal when off-duty, I'm tempted to believe that the shootee wasn't peaceably OCing. I'll wait for more facts to come out, though.
this isn't a leo bash, LE bash.

why do you live in pa and sport the confederate battle flag

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
johnnyb wrote:

If you're going to LEO-bash, you may as well make it coherent...

I was about to tag him for LEO-bashing, but recognized what he was saying soon enough to not have to take something back.

He's not LEO-bashing in the usual sense. He's just jumped to the conclusion that there were bullets flying and missing. Or that the officers didn't take actions to minimize risk to others nearby.

Granted, his comment about LE saving the world again is clearly sarcasm. I don't think it rises to bashing. He's just giving the world an insight into his opinion. What would be really surprising is if he didn't. It would be like expecting a missionary to not proselytize. Clearly he feels his message is important.

This is a lot more restrained. And I appreciate his effort. I'll take this.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've found several other stories stating that the LA cop was brandishing not just peacefully OC. Looking for non-AP stories I found:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-longbeach31-2008jul31,0,2477731.story
By Joel Rubin and Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
July 31, 2008 An armed man who was shot by a Long Beach police officer early this morning was an off-duty officer with the Los Angeles Police Department.

Jason Geggie, 26, an LAPD officer for 1 1/2 years, was shot in the arm and torso after he confronted Long Beach police while wielding a firearm, according to statements released by both police departments. Long Beach police had earlier reported Geggie's age as 27.

"It is a very unfortunate set of circumstances, it is one of ours," said one high-ranking LAPD official, who requested anonymity, citing the ongoing investigation by Long Beach officials into the shooting. "We are desperately trying to unravel what happened."

Geggie was transported to a local hospital, where he remains in stable condition, Long Beach officials said.

Few details of what led to the face-off between Geggie and the Long Beach officers were released. Long Beach police said they responded about 12:30 a.m. to a 911 call of a man brandishing a firearm and walking on the street near Termino Avenue and Fourth Street.

Police located Geggie in the 200 block of Mira Mar Avenue and one officer opened fire, apparently after the off-duty officer refused to drop his weapon. Geggie, a Long Beach resident, has been charged with "exhibiting a firearm in the presence of a police officer in a threatening manner," Long Beach officials said.

Along with the criminal investigation being conducted by Long Beach detectives, investigators in the LAPD's Internal Affairs Group have launched a personnel investigation into Geggie, who is currently assigned to the deparment's Central Traffic Division.
[line]
The Long Beach Report has nothing further but does have some pics of the scene but nothing enlightening:
http://www.lbreport.com/news/jul08/oismira.htm

imperialism2024

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I was about to tag him for LEO-bashing, but recognized what he was saying soon enough to not have to take something back.

He's not LEO-bashing in the usual sense. He's just jumped to the conclusion that there were bullets flying and missing. Or that the officers didn't take actions to minimize risk to others nearby.

Granted, his comment about LE saving the world again is clearly sarcasm. I don't think it rises to bashing. He's just giving the world an insight into his opinion. What would be really surprising is if he didn't. It would be like expecting a missionary to not proselytize. Clearly he feels his message is important.

This is a lot more restrained. And I appreciate his effort. I'll take this.
Edited to add the smiley. It was moreso a light-hearted remark... I'll make sure to more closely monitor my emoticons (or lack thereof) in the future.

Whoops, almost forgot to add: :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
SNIP Edited to add the smiley. It was moreso a light-hearted remark... I'll make sure to more closely monitor my emoticons (or lack thereof) in the future.

Whoops, almost forgot to add: :)
Sorry. I should've known.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
johnnyb wrote:
why do you live in pa and sport the confederate battle flag
Not to speak for another but an observation; the Mason and Dixon line is said to divide the cultural North from South. The Mason and Dixon Line is Pennsylvania's southern border. Visit Rising Sun, DE for some Southeron culture shock.
i was just curious