• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking nothing of it I OC'd to pick up my check last Friday.

curtiswr

imported post

Apparently some of the people in the office got freaked out for the two whole seconds that I was in there. Boss talked to me about it today to make sure of my intentions and to certify that my interest in OCing and guns in general wasn't a liability or something for the company to worry about. I didn't think it would be a big deal as it seems I've caught some of the higher ups in the company talking about guns, gun ownership, and generally being pro-2A on several occasions.

Guess I now know that they aren't OC friendly. Saw one of my coworkers at a food festival. He was a little sheepish about it. One of my bosses apparently CC's all the time but I'm not sure who all in the company knows that, blah blah blah, etc...

Kinda frustrating, but what can you do. At least I know to leave it in the car next time.

Neplusultra

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Apparently some of the people in the office got freaked out for the two whole seconds that I was in there. Boss talked to me about it today to make sure of my intentions and to certify that my interest in OCing and guns in general wasn't a liability or something for the company to worry about. I didn't think it would be a big deal as it seems I've caught some of the higher ups in the company talking about guns, gun ownership, and generally being pro-2A on several occasions.

Guess I now know that they aren't OC friendly. Saw one of my coworkers at a food festival. He was a little sheepish about it. One of my bosses apparently CC's all the time but I'm not sure who all in the company knows that, blah blah blah, etc...

Kinda frustrating, but what can you do. At least I know to leave it in the car next time.
Why not ask you boss if it's not a big deal if you can wear it, as you do everywhere else. Tell him you'd rather not leave it in the car since it could be stolen, etc. You know the situation best so act accordingly. Maybe even invite your boss(s) or the sheepish one or those who were put off by it to the range, your treat :^).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

curtiswr wrote:

OC where it works for you. CC if you can accomplish it where OC would create problems with too high a potential cost.

Think about having a private discussion with the boss/superior that CCs if that is practical. You might even have some printed OCDO and VCDL papers with you. It might be an opportunity.

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From what you posted it really does not sound all that negative. Some folks wre surprised because they had not seen you OC before. Boss talked with you to make sure you were not going to become a liability to the company - seems from your lack of further comment he ended up feeling you were not going to cost him $$ or business.

You may want to have another conversation with your boss.Do not make a big issue over whether or not you are going to carry, or how frequently you might be carrying. Just check to see what his preferred method would be for you if you were carrying.

Same commentsregarding your friend who you saw at the food festival - he just needs to get used to the idea and to see by your actions that you pose no threat at all.

It's tough being the point man in any endeavor. Be the same as you have always been - with the teensy difference that now you carry. As soon as everyone can get used to that being the only thing different they should return to normal.

stay safe.

skidmark

curtiswr

imported post

Yeah, it's really not so bad. They've already taken the opportunity to tell me that they don't want me carrying in the work trucks or on any of our jobs, even if it were concealed once I get my CHP. My actual immediate boss doesn't have a problem with it at all, I think it was just the secretaries that might have been a little nervous about seeing it.

It wasn't really negative, like you said. It was just unexpected, because no one brought it up the day of or even the next work day; it came up nearly a week later.

I might suggest a range trip for the friend that I saw at the food festival. He owns two pistols, some really old ones from what I remember him saying. An 18xx Colt and I forget what the other was.

I think, like you said, it just seems out of the ordinary for me right now and the issue for them is basically "hmm... why does he feel the need to carry? does he feel threatened, is he trying to intimidate, etc..."

I don't think I'm going to initiate a private conversation with the CCing boss though because from what I know of him and that he will talk to the others, it would raise suspicion as to whether or not I was actually carrying on the job. And these guys don't mess around with letting people go if they feel that their image is threatened, there is a liability on hand, or there is a potential customer relations disaster if a homeowner were to see it print or something one day. Maybe in the future when all the initial dust settles down, or maybe in a more casual atmosphere such as a company cookout or Christmas party I could bring it up. I think right now it would be too much of a risk to my job security though. :uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

That is exactly why each person must do what they are comfortable doing.
Nobody else walks in your moccasins.

Yata hey

nova

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
That is exactly why each person must do what they are comfortable doing.
Nobody else walks in your moccasins.

Yata hey

You should have seen the reaction I got when someone saw the folding knife I had clipped inside my pocket at GMU last fall. I ended up emailing everyone who was in the class (including the prof.) the applicable GMU Regulation that excludes folding knives from their weapons ban.

A few days later I had a good conversation with another student from that class. He also carries at least a blade while on campus. Hopefully SCCC can get concealed carry on campus 'allowed' before I graduate in another few years...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
SNIP You should have seen the reaction I got when someone saw the folding knife I had clipped inside my pocket at GMU last fall.
God, what a bunch of hoplophobes they're creatingin schools with indoctrination and this zero-tolerance nonsense towards guns and knives and so forth.