• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC in Banks....

rolexbenz190e

imported post

Ok, I tried searching this in the forum but couldn't find anything. I'm in Flagstaff and I was wondering if OC/CC is permitted in Banks such as Chase, Wells Fargo, Compass Bank, etc. Aside from the obvious reaction of "Guns+ Bank = bad idea", I was wondering the actual laws regarding it. Since Banks aren't federal/goverment building (at least I dont think so) but they are federaly insured, what would the law particularly say about OC/CC in Banks?

like_the_roman

imported post

rolexbenz190e wrote:
Ok, I tried searching this in the forum but couldn't find anything.  I'm in Flagstaff and I was wondering if OC/CC is permitted in Banks such as Chase, Wells Fargo, Compass Bank, etc.  Aside from the obvious reaction of "Guns + Bank = bad idea", I was wondering the actual laws regarding it.  Since Banks aren't federal/goverment building (at least I dont think so) but they are federaly insured, what would the law particularly say about OC/CC in Banks?

There is no federal law or regulation prohibiting the carry of weapons in banks. Financial institutions are still corporate property, even though they are FDIC/NCUA insured.

There is no AZ law prohibiting the carry of weapons in banks.

I have no idea about the policies of different banking companies, but I do know that my current and former credit unions (Vantage West and Meriwest) prohibit firearms on their property.

AZkopper

imported post

Based on vague recolections here in Prescott...

BofA is posted as a victim zone

Wells Fargo is not posted

I actually go in toWF about once a year (I hate the lines) so I could be remembering wrong.

rolexbenz190e

imported post

So if something is posted as a "victim zone", that means you cant carry into that building? Sorry, I dont know the difference between a victim zone or a gun free zone. I'm guessing that it's the same thing because a gun free zone is potentially a victim zone when a criminal comes into a place whose occupants are unarmed. Is that the jist?

I will have to see if Wells Fargo is marked.... I dont want to get any flak from anti-gunpeople who work in Wells Fargo. I'll be honest though.... Last holloween I walked into Wells Fargo decked out in swat gear (tactical vest, black BDU's, kevlar helmet, drop thigh holster, black swat boots, swat gloves, utility belt, etc..... we are talking the works, BUT NO GUNS) and the teller was shocked and didn't know what to think. I got some nasty looks from her. Thankfully I left my AR-10 and my .45 ACP in the car haha. They would have freaked if I had the AR on my 3 point sling and my .45 ACP in my drop down thigh holster haha.

But seriously, I dont want to have to leave my gun in my car every time I go into the bank to cash checks. Just a huge hassle for me because when I'm sitting in the parking lot and I'm taking my gun out to decock the hammer and hide it somewhere in the car, people who are looking at me inside the car are thinking I'm trying to plan some crazy heist at the bank while I fiddle with the firearm. Not only that, I dont want anyone of accusing me of brandishing the firearm just because I took it out of the holster. I would rather just leave it be on my side, walk into the bank, cash my money, walk out, and buy a new car. Thats all I want hehe. I have a friend who is a LEO in Maricopa County and he CC's in the bank all the time, but thats kind of a different story.

Any feedback? WOW i type too much.

azcdlfred

imported post

rolexbenz190e wrote:
Ok, I tried searching this in the forum but couldn't find anything. I'm in Flagstaff and I was wondering if OC/CC is permitted in Banks such as Chase, Wells Fargo, Compass Bank, etc. Aside from the obvious reaction of "Guns+ Bank = bad idea", I was wondering the actual laws regarding it. Since Banks aren't federal/goverment building (at least I dont think so) but they are federaly insured, what would the law particularly say about OC/CC in Banks?
It's a private property issue, subject to the company or local management policy. I open carry about 98% of the time I do AzCDL banking at Wells Fargo in Tucson (I'm the Treasurer). It was a deciding factor on where AzCDL money was going to be put.

Fred

PavePusher

imported post

Wells Fargo. That's good to know. When I was on leave up in Salt Lake City in June, I found someones W.F. ATM/Debit card on the sidewalk while running one morning. Took it into the nearest branch office (about 4 blocks away) later that day and turned it in, while O.C'ing. Checked for signage prior to entering of course. I think the teller/asst. manager/trainee were a bit wide-eyed for a moment. I think we exchanged all of three sentances, all very friendly sounding, and I walked back out. Don't know if they have different branch rules up there, but no-one said anything.;)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Wells Fargo corporate has a no-gun policy. I walk into the one in Marana w/o any problem whatever. Not posted either.

rolexbenz190e

imported post

So Wells Fargo has a Coporate no-gun policy? does thatmeanyou cant even have a gun inside of a branch office:cuss:? Thats not fair :( So if I walk into a branch that isn't posted at all and one of the pawn tellers tells me "No guns allow, you need to disarm or leave" then I actually have to with out speaking to the manager or person in charge? Obviously it would be a waste of time to speak to the manager because its a "corporate" policy.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

When I lived in Kingman only one bank prohibitedhandguns and it was the only bank that had ever been robbed - not once but three times. You'd think they would get the message.

Gary

jjmtb

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Wells Fargo corporate has a no-gun policy. I walk into the one in Marana w/o any problem whatever. Not posted either.
Not true. My wife works for Well Fargo corporate (not a branch). The ONLY corporate firearm policy that Wells Fargo has applies to Wells Fargo employees only.

rolexbenz190e

imported post

Hey JJMTB!

So there is one one gun policy from corparateto all seperate branches of WellsFargo and thats that employees cant carry firearms? Does it asy anything about private citizens/customers? This might be too much to ask, but could we get your wife to get us a copy of WellsFargo policy? :D

jjmtb

imported post

rolexbenz190e wrote:
Hey JJMTB!

So there is one one gun policy from corparateto all seperate branches of WellsFargo and thats that employees cant carry firearms? Does it asy anything about private citizens/customers? This might be too much to ask, but could we get your wife to get us a copy of WellsFargo policy? :D
I spoke to her about it; policy is that Wells Fargo employees cannot possess a personally-owned firearm while on any Wells Fargo property - regardless of them being "on the clock" or in a personal capacity.

Wells Fargo policy on carrying in branches simply conforms to AZ carry laws. If it's not posted on the doors, you can carry; openly or concealed.

Here it is from the corporate policy:

3.16 - Violence-free Workplace

One of our overriding concerns at Wells Fargo is that team members and customers are provided with a safe, businesslike work environment. Weapons are prohibited in the workplace unless job-related and specifically approved.

Under no circumstances will we tolerate physical violence or threatening behavior in the workplace, on company premises, at work-related functions, or when you're traveling on business or working from home or another location. Threatening behavior directed at the workplace from your home is also not tolerated. Wells Fargo reserves the right to determine if particular actions are considered physical violence or threatening behavior, and you are expected to cooperate in any fact-finding process - see "Providing Information" on page 18.

Important: Violating the policy against violence or weapons in the workplace is grounds for corrective action, which may include immediate termination of your employment. Examples of Violent or Examples of behavior that would be considered violent, threatening or Threatening Behavior intimidating to others include, but are not limited to: . Profane or abusive language . Threats or insinuations of "getting even" . Physical aggression, whether it's demonstrated or threatened . Dangerous pranks or practical jokes . Aggressive horseplay or gestures . Fighting or other hostile action . Assault or intimidation . Any form of harassment (see "Harassment" on page 30)

Firearms and Weapons Possessing firearms and weapons on company premises, or at company sponsored events, is dangerous to team members and is strictly prohibited. No team member may bring a weapon to the workplace unless specifically authorized by the Director of Security or the Chief Auditor - for example, someone in a specific security or guard position.

For purposes of this policy, a "weapon" means any item designed primarily for the purpose of inflicting bodily injury, which may include items that are legal to own. You are not permitted to have these items at work or while you're conducting business on behalf of Wells Fargo.

She also said that Wells Fargo corporate is very aware of their history and their trademark of being an "old west" bank, and they don't want to implement anything that would go against that heritage.

Wells Fargo is also a heavy contributor to the NRA.

FogRider

imported post

I was asked politely to CC in my local credit union (Bellco in CO), and since I have been treated extremely well there I am inclined to comply with that request. They have gone out of their way to help me out, so the least I can do is conceal when asked.