• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've seen it brought up quite a bit, but I can't seem to (easily) find the old threads. Is it legal for me to open or concealed carry on a college campus?

In addition to that, I'd ask the same for the Freedom Aquatic Center in Prince William off 234 bypass?

From some of the comments, it sounds like I would be legal, however can they ask me to leave? I've seen no visible signs when I pick up my kids from the Aquatic center's summer camp. I find nothing on their website either. http://www.freedom-center.com/

I'm a little leery of testing the waters since it's related to a school, but from what I understand it's at least partially owned by Prince William county. The wife would also kill me if the kids were kicked out of summer camp because of my actions.

I just hate the fact I have to disarm when I go pickup my kids.

hsmith

imported post

DHCruiser,

To search better, try this search string in google "site:eek:pencarry.mywowbb.com intitle:virginia " along with your query (omit the quotes)

But to your question, it isn't illegal. BUT, due to "how things work" they can apply their rules to you if you are student, faculty, staff. IE, they say they will expel you if you are a student on campus and you are caught carrying, they will. Is this legal? Good question.

But if your kids are enrolled and you aren't, I wouldn't see how them "banning" students from carrying would apply to you!

Of course, I am not a lawyer :) But that is my understanding.

nova

imported post

If you are not affiliated with the school, as in, not a student, faculty, or staff, they can't do a thing. Last semester a few people came to see the VCDL President speak at GMU while open carrying. Nothing happened.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
I just emailed one of the GMU officers who patrolls at the PW campus. I'll post his reply when it is sent.
Bet I can guess what his reply will be:banghead:
Ill take some of that action :uhoh:. The difference between George Mason University's http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC35-60-20
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC35-60-20and the AG opinion at http://www.vaag.com/OPINIONS/2006opns/05-078.pdf
"In light of the General Assembly’s specific statements regarding the limits of carrying concealed handguns and the grant of authority to colleges and universities to regulate the conduct of students and employees, it is my opinion that neither a board of visitors nor a president of a public college or university may infer authority from its enabling legislation to adopt a universal prohibition of carrying concealed handguns by holders with valid permits."
is unsettled ground, but some of the GMU cops are aware of the issue and want to avoid having a case decision named after them.

stay safe.

skidmark

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What's been said is the impression I'd gotten from comments in other threads, so at least my comprehension wasn't far off.

My main concerns:

1) If I OC to pick up the kids and an employee/guard tells me to leave, would I have to leave? From what it sounds like, it's essentially public property and I wouldn't have to leave. It sounds like it would be the same as a random person telling me I have to leave a public park, in that they don't have the authority to restrict my right to be there.

2) The other big concern is whether they could kick my kids out of the summer camp program, in an effort to keep me from coming on property again. I'd normally avoid anyplace where I'd have this issue, but the wife and kids like their summer camp.

I guess I could CC, but it's really hot. I prefer to OC and I'm still looking for a new CC setup.

Thanks everyone. I look forward to hearing the responses you get from the guards.

cmartin7864

imported post

The Freedom Center is considered part of campus, so the university firearms policey does apply. (http://www.gmu.edu/catalog/policies/#weapons)If you have further questions you can contact Sgt. Green at tgreen@gmu.edu. He can give you a more detailed answer. Hope this helps.

J. G. Seabright
Master Police Officer
George Mason University Police Department
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
703-993-2810

This is the response I received from GMU PD

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
The Freedom Center is considered part of campus, so the university firearms policey does apply. (http://www.gmu.edu/catalog/policies/#weapons)If you have further questions you can contact Sgt. Green at tgreen@gmu.edu. He can give you a more detailed answer. Hope this helps.

J. G. Seabright
Master Police Officer
George Mason University Police Department
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
703-993-2810
I feel your pain and frustration, as well as your concern not to screw up the kids' summer or piss of the wife. There is only about 4 more weeks till kids return to school - can you find a manageable compromise till then?

Can/will you cover your OC weapon while you are picking up the kids? Nothing fancy, just pull your t-shirt over most of it from getting out of te car to getting back in. It does require you to have a CHP to remain legal while doing so.

The policy cited is one for faculty, staff and students. There is nothing that indicates it applies in any way to visitors on the campus.

To apply it towards visitors on the campus would be contrary to the AG's Opinion http://www.vaag.com/OPINIONS/2006opns/05-078.pdfregarding the extent that the Board of Visitors can create policy or rule affecting persons who are not members of the university community. Further, 8VAC35-60-20 is still unsettled as to whether or not it is contrary to 15.2-915, Code of Virginia. While we would all like the issue to be resolved, you might not be the best one to create the test case.

stay safe.

skidmark

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

DHCruiser wrote:
Yep, I'll just disarm each time I pick up the kids, for now. I'll start talking to the wife about the possibility of finding a new summer camp for the kids.

Thanks everyone!
DH - I was in the same boat this summer. My son went to a summer camp at a private elementary school. Most times, I didnt need to leave my vehicle when in the bus loopbut there were a few times where I had to go into the building or onto the grounds.