• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry of blades in washington

joshcdc

imported post

hello all. I am a longtime lurker first time poster and i love this community and your cause.
I know that in washington open carry of firearms is legal without a permit except in a car, where you need a concealed weapon permit to carry a loaded gun. I alas don't have a firearm, as i'm a poor college student who can't afford one right now.. Most attacks in my city don't involve guns and we have a law against discharging firearms in city limitsas well. I do often openly carry a gerber machete as a deterrent to being assaulted and i'm wondering if this is subject to any special laws in bellingham, washington. I've gotten some weird looks and was questioned once by a very polite LEO who just asked me why i was carrying a machete on the bus (just one question) and then left me alone and told the bus driver that i wasn't doing anything illegal when i told her "self defense". Is it lawful to carry a machete in the passenger area of a car? I know about the seattle knife law. thank you for your advice

p.s. you guys hear about the recent ferndale assault with a boxcutter? horrible stuff, glad they caught him so quick.

ghosthunter

imported post

Welcome joshcdc

I was born and raised in Bellingham and still have family there. Yeah i read about the gal attacked in Ferndale with the box cutter at ATM. Seems like there is something every day.

I will leave your question on carry to more experienced posters. just wanted to welcome you.:)

deanf

imported post

I don't know about the knife laws but may I offer this:

Most attacks in my city don't involve guns

It doesn't matter. There are plenty of reasons you could legally fire a gun in self defense even if it was clear the attacker(s) wasn't armed with a gun.

and we have a law against discharging firearms in city limitsas well

Again, doesn't matter. If you are firing in legal self defense, laws against discharge are trumped.

Suggested reading.

Bear 45/70

imported post

First the law against discharging a firearm, normally areexempt inself defense incidents. Knives are not covered by state law and local laws apply, be it county or city. So until you check the city or county laws your knife could be legal and it could be illegal by crossing the street.

joshcdc

imported post

thanks to deanf and bear about the exemption info. did not know that. I was picturing a case where i was forced to defend myself and found innocent of any unlawful use of force, but was still ticketed for discharging a firearm in city limits.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Knives are not covered by state law and local laws apply

I've been thinking that it is about time we tried to change that. Why not move for a state pre-emption for all weapons? If you read the Heller ruling, Scalia makes it clear that "arms" includes anything that a person may take up in their hands to defend self, family, or property. Certainly knives were an "arm" that our forefathers carried for self defense, as do LEOs, and the military. Therefore, under Article 1, Section 24 of the Washington State constitution, all "arms" should receive the same protection from unreasonable restriction that firearms do in our state.

Bellingham outlaws stun guns and Tazers -- would they really prefer that everybody resorts to carrying a firearm? Cities are removing the option of escalation of force when they take away less lethal weapons of self defense.

Time to draft a bill, me thinks!

Bear 45/70

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Knives are not covered by state law and local laws apply

I've been thinking that it is about we tried to change that. Why not move for a state pre-emption for all weapons? If you read the Heller ruling, Scalia makes it clear that "arms" includes anything that a person may take up in their hands to defend self, family, or property. Certainly knives were an "arm" that our forefathers carried for self defense, as do LEOs, and the military. Therefore, under Article 1, Section 24 of the Washington State constitution, all "arms" should receive the same protection from unreasonable restriction that firearms do in our state.

Bellingham outlaws stun guns and Tazers -- would they really prefer that everybody resorts to carrying a firearm? Cities are removing the option of escalation of force when they take away less lethal weapons of self defense.

Time to draft a bill, me thinks!
You will get no arguement from me. But then the know nothings are writing the firearm laws and more no nothings are determining what the firearmlaws says.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Certain blades like switchblades, butterfly knives and "dirks" or "daggers" are illegal on the state level. Don't have time to look it up. Blade laws vary from town to town. What is perfectly legal here in Olympia (anything not prohibited by state law) and even common to see (i.e., hunting knives) will get you arrested in Seattle and charged with a misdemeanor. Check laws carefully.

Steve

joshcdc

imported post

i had a really nice stunbaton before they outlawed it. I had occasion to use it once too. now if i was in that situation i would have to use lethal force. I like the idea about state preemption for all arms. the 2A does not say firearms, it says arms. lets start a petition.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joshcdc wrote:
hello all. I am a longtime lurker first time poster and i love this community and your cause.
I know that in washington open carry of firearms is legal without a permit except in a car, where you need a concealed weapon permit to carry a loaded gun. I alas don't have a firearm, as i'm a poor college student who can't afford one right now.. Most attacks in my city don't involve guns and we have a law against discharging firearms in city limitsas well. I do often openly carry a gerber machete as a deterrent to being assaulted and i'm wondering if this is subject to any special laws in bellingham, washington. I've gotten some weird looks and was questioned once by a very polite LEO who just asked me why i was carrying a machete on the bus (just one question) and then left me alone and told the bus driver that i wasn't doing anything illegal when i told her "self defense". Is it lawful to carry a machete in the passenger area of a car? I know about the seattle knife law. thank you for your advice

p.s. you guys hear about the recent ferndale assault with a boxcutter? horrible stuff, glad they caught him so quick.
Have you considered a Hi Point? You can pick up a new one for under $200 depending on caliber and sometimes less than $150 and a used one sometimes for under $100. You just missed one for sale for $90 on the forum a few weeks ago http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=13482&forum_id=55&highlight=hi+point.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
Sorry, but I wouldn't trust my life on a $90 gun.
Without even looking any further than the price tag you have dismissed them?

I have never owned one, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. They are accurate and VERY reliable. Just ask an owner. As pointed out prices range from around $90 used to $200 or so new.

I would have no heistation carrying one if I owned one, and I have a 1911 and a Ruger Security Six.

Don't knock a gun just because it's price tag doesn't have snob appeal. Like I say read up on the hi points, then let us all know what you think.

Ravenhawk

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Triple Tap wrote:
Without even looking any further than the price tag you have dismissed them?

I have never owned one, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. They are accurate and VERY reliable. Just ask an owner. As pointed out prices range from around $90 used to $200 or so new.

I would have no heistation carrying one if I owned one, and I have a 1911 and a Ruger Security Six.

Don't knock a gun just because it's price tag doesn't have snob appeal. Like I say read up on the hi points, then let us all know what you think.
I just bought a Hi Point from a forum member here ... and I own 2 others.

Never jams

Fires every time I pull trigger

Eats every kinda ammo I put through it ...

I own a SIG P220 also and feel just as "safe" with the Hi Points too.

I'll admit they're kinda ugly but I put beaded handles on'em .. nothing beats the gripage of beaded handles either :-}

S7300643.jpg

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Ravenhawk wrote:
I just bought a Hi Point from a forum member here ... and I own 2 others.

Never jams

Fires every time I pull trigger

Eats every kinda ammo I put through it ...

I own a SIG P220 also and feel just as "safe" with the Hi Points too.

I'll admit they're kinda ugly but I put beaded handles on'em .. nothing beats the gripage of beaded handles either :-}

S7300643.jpg
Thought that was Lonnie's gun for a sec!:p

Decoligny

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:

That $90.00 gun has the best lifetime warrenty in existance. If you could buy one that was busted up into 20 pieces, and then sent the pieces in to BeeMiller (Hi-Point manufacturer) they would find the piece that had the serial number insert piece imbedded into it and melt the polymer off of it. The would install the serial number into a brand new frame and build a new gun around the serial number and send it back to you.

So, this $90.00 gun with a quick trip to the manufacturer, it will come back completely refurbished and as good as new.

If it is an older model and they have features on the newer model that cannot be upgraded onto the older model, they will use the serial number insert piece to build you a new gun with all the current model features.

All just for the cost of shipping it to them. About $15.00.

I own a Hi-Point C9 and it is accurate and reliable. I would and do trust my life and my wifes life to it.

Triple Tap

imported post

You flamers are great here, just keep going with name calling.

I do do my homework, there are a lot of people that cant afford higher end guns, I understand that better than most here, Hell I grew up in White Center. I admit that I have never owned this brand, but read this guys review, then read the magazine review. I am not just being a "gun snob" as you have labeled me so quickly. I didnt write this, or write the magazine review.

Reading all thesereviews, was rather funny. To try to compair a HI-POINT to an H&K p7, Wilson, or Sig is like compairing A 1970 Beetle to a 2005 Porsche. An ABSOLUTE JOKE. The " former prosecutor" and " former seal "( navy seal or Arctic seal?? ) and those who are shooting 2" groups at 25 yrds,YA RIGHT!!! what a bunch off crap!!I owned one of these pieces ofshit when I first got out of the military(it was all i could afford). What a mistake and waste of money. I was lucky to unload it on some other sap at a gun show. To all of you that claim to have sigs, colts,H&K , and other high Quality firearms overflowing your gunsafe yet choose to carry a 3 pound brick, you LIE like a bear rug. But why take my word for it, go buy one so I can laugh at You,or read the FEB 2004 review on this gun by a magazine called GUN TESTS. They had all the same problems I had as well as some others. There where a few honest posts in hear and you know who you are. Mygun failed to feed 50% or more of the time. The magazines are sharp and are50% of the malfunctioning problems. The accuracy is roughly 4 " off hand at 15 yards. Save your money and buy a reliable gun.You can often find police turn in''s from . A good quality gun is roughly $500 and if you or your families life isn''t worth that , then you need more help than a gun review will do.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:

I do do my homework, there are a lot of people that cant afford higher end guns, I understand that better than most here, Hell I grew up in White Center. I admit that I have never owned this brand, but read this guys review, then read the magazine review. I am not just being a "gun snob" as you have labeled me so quickly. I didnt write this, or write the magazine review.

Reading all thesereviews, was rather funny. To try to compair a HI-POINT to an H&K p7, Wilson, or Sig is like compairing A 1970 Beetle to a 2005 Porsche. An ABSOLUTE JOKE. The " former prosecutor" and " former seal "( navy seal or Arctic seal?? ) and those who are shooting 2" groups at 25 yrds,YA RIGHT!!! what a bunch off crap!!I owned one of these pieces of@#$% when I first got out of the military(it was all i could afford). What a mistake and waste of money. I was lucky to unload it on some other sap at a gun show. To all of you that claim to have sigs, colts,H&K , and other high Quality firearms overflowing your gunsafe yet choose to carry a 3 pound brick, you LIE like a bear rug. But why take my word for it, go buy one so I can laugh at You,or read the FEB 2004 review on this gun by a magazine called GUN TESTS. They had all the same problems I had as well as some others. There where a few honest posts in hear and you know who you are. Mygun failed to feed 50% or more of the time. The magazines are sharp and are50% of the malfunctioning problems. The accuracy is roughly 4 " off hand at 15 yards. Save your money and buy a reliable gun.You can often find police turn in''s from . A good quality gun is roughly $500 and if you or your families life isn''t worth that , then you need more help than a gun review will do.

Nobody said you had to carry one. But a Hi-Point is better than no gun at all. I once picked up a little Accu-Teck ATC 380, about $100 value in a trade. After about 30 minutes of working on a 14 pound trigger, I ended up with an outstanding pocket pistol with a 4 pound trigger. It never malfunction in the 10 years I owned it. So don't let dollar amounts decide for you what is good and isn't like the gun rags do. Gun rags kiss the azz of their high end advertisers (Kimber, etc)and the will always pan the non-advertisers. Some people need a VW because that's all they can afford. Gun rag test stink for the most part and is probably why I don't subscribe to them anymore. Believing a gun rag test is like believing a used car salesman.
rolleyes.gif

Decoligny

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:

Reading all thesereviews, was rather funny. To try to compair a HI-POINT to an H&K p7, Wilson, or Sig is like compairing A 1970 Beetle to a 2005 Porsche. An ABSOLUTE JOKE. The " former prosecutor" and " former seal "( navy seal or Arctic seal?? ) and those who are shooting 2" groups at 25 yrds,YA RIGHT!!! what a bunch off crap!!I owned one of these pieces of@#$% when I first got out of the military(it was all i could afford). What a mistake and waste of money. I was lucky to unload it on some other sap at a gun show. To all of you that claim to have sigs, colts,H&K , and other high Quality firearms overflowing your gunsafe yet choose to carry a 3 pound brick, you LIE like a bear rug. But why take my word for it, go buy one so I can laugh at You,or read the FEB 2004 review on this gun by a magazine called GUN TESTS. They had all the same problems I had as well as some others. There where a few honest posts in hear and you know who you are. Mygun failed to feed 50% or more of the time. The magazines are sharp and are50% of the malfunctioning problems. The accuracy is roughly 4 " off hand at 15 yards. Save your money and buy a reliable gun.You can often find police turn in''s from . A good quality gun is roughly $500 and if you or your families life isn''t worth that , then you need more help than a gun review will do.

He is the voice of experience talking here, NOT.

Like I have said before, the majority of the people who badmouth Hi-Point have never owned one and are just spouting off regurgitated nonsense that they heard from someone else. I for one don't like third hand disinformation.

Nobody ever said that the Hi-Point was a precision piece of machinery like a handmade Rolls Royce. But I garauntee that a VW with no maintenance will run longer than a Rolls Royce with no maintenance.

The Hi-Point, if treated right, and tweaked just a little bit when first bought, will outperform many higher priced firearms.

I personally have put about 1,000 rounds through mine, and the only time it ever jams, ison the very rare occasion when I hold my wrist a little too loosely.

As for accuracy, well this match wasfrom 25 yards and I won it with a Hi-Point C9.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/7427-3.html