• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry of blades in washington

Ravenhawk

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
You flamers are great here, just keep going with name calling.

I do do my homework, there are a lot of people that cant afford higher end guns, I understand that better than most here, Hell I grew up in White Center. I admit that I have never owned this brand, but read this guys review, then read the magazine review. I am not just being a "gun snob" as you have labeled me so quickly. I didnt write this, or write the magazine review.

Reading all thesereviews, was rather funny. To try to compair a HI-POINT to an H&K p7, Wilson, or Sig is like compairing A 1970 Beetle to a 2005 Porsche. An ABSOLUTE JOKE. The " former prosecutor" and " former seal "( navy seal or Arctic seal?? ) and those who are shooting 2" groups at 25 yrds,YA RIGHT!!! what a bunch off crap!!I owned one of these pieces of@#$% when I first got out of the military(it was all i could afford). What a mistake and waste of money. I was lucky to unload it on some other sap at a gun show. To all of you that claim to have sigs, colts,H&K , and other high Quality firearms overflowing your gunsafe yet choose to carry a 3 pound brick, you LIE like a bear rug. But why take my word for it, go buy one so I can laugh at You,or read the FEB 2004 review on this gun by a magazine called GUN TESTS. They had all the same problems I had as well as some others. There where a few honest posts in hear and you know who you are. Mygun failed to feed 50% or more of the time. The magazines are sharp and are50% of the malfunctioning problems. The accuracy is roughly 4 " off hand at 15 yards. Save your money and buy a reliable gun.You can often find police turn in''s from . A good quality gun is roughly $500 and if you or your families life isn''t worth that , then you need more help than a gun review will do.

I don't see name calling?

If the guys gun was malfunctioning all he had to do was send it back to Hi Point lifetime warranty no matter if your original owner or not just send it in!

I can PROVE to you face to face that Hi Points work flawlessly but it appears you already have your mind made up ...

Like I said I have a SIG P220 also I like it more for looks and ease of take down but as far as "reliability" I trust my life with both .. then again I keep my guns functioning like a well oiled machine .. some people don't take care of their guns then wonder why they get jams after dropping it or constantly squashing extra clip on their belt LOL

Bear 45/70

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
I personally have put about 1,000 rounds through mine, and the only time it ever jams, ison the very rare occasion when I hold my wrist a little too loosely.
Limp wist any auto pistol and you will get jamming do that isn't a negative for the Hi-Point. I've seen custom Colts, Detonics, Paraand even a Kimber jam from limp wristing.

David.Car

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
I am not just being a "gun snob" as you have labeled me so quickly.

I believe Bear called me a gun snob... not sure why since I said a 90 dollar gun was better than none... Although I would always carry my sig over a hipoint... :)

Edit: Oh, can I borrow that beaded pistol? I got a neice who might be interested in shooting after seeing that

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Triple Tap wrote:

I believe Bear called me a gun snob... not sure why since I said a 90 dollar gun was better than none... Although I would always carry my sig over a hipoint... :)

Edit: Oh, can I borrow that beaded pistol? I got a neice who might be interested in shooting after seeing that
Jeez, if "gun snob" hurts your tender sensibilities what the hell you gonna do when a real gunhater lays into you? But the if the shoe fits you should wear it and your state previous to the "gun snob" comment makes you one.

Decoligny

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Triple Tap wrote:

I believe that Bear replied one post down from where he should have and was actually referring to Triple Taps post of "I wouldn't trust my life to a $90 gun."

Bear 45/70

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
David.Car wrote:
Triple Tap wrote:

I believe that Bear replied one post down from where he should have and was actually referring to Triple Taps post of "I wouldn't trust my life to a $90 gun."
Looking back, I sure did. Sorry about thatDavid.Car.

Bill45

imported post

OK,

You guys have hi-jacked this thread for long enough.

Back to the main issue that Joshcdc started.

Knives as several people have stated are a local concern and you have to be careful when you travel.

Here in Tacoma it isillegle to carry outside of your own property any knive with a blade longer than 3.5 inches as well as the usuall martial arts weapons and switchblades. So your machete is illegal in Tacoma.

For more info about Tacoma's ordenances, it is in the Tacoma Municipal Code. Section 8.66/weapons.

Bill

joshcdc

imported post

i checked the city and county municipal codes for bellingham and whatcom county and theres nothing in them about knives, but sounds like i should research other places as i travel through them. why are knives not covered by preemption? the state and federal constitution both say "arms" and not "firearms", correct? So the city of bellingham is violating my constitutional rights by, for example, prohibiting energy weapons, right? any thoughts on this? do i have any legal recourse?

also those hi-points look like a good gun for the price, thanks for the advice.

Bill45

imported post

joshcdc wrote:
i checked the city and county municipal codes for bellingham and whatcom county and theres nothing in them about knives, but sounds like i should research other places as i travel through them. why are knives not covered by preemption? the state and federal constitution both say "arms" and not "firearms", correct? So the city of bellingham is violating my constitutional rights by, for example, prohibiting energy weapons, right? any thoughts on this? do i have any legal recourse?

Before the state preemption of firearms the issue of where it was legal to carry was as difficult/dangerous to your freedom as knives are today. It made defending your self outside the home very difficult.

Sorry I have no solution. I doubt VERY much that the current group of "representatives" we have in Olympia are likely to look favorably at changing the knife laws.

If you have the $$ you can get arrested and take it to the state supreme court. Be the test case.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joshcdc wrote:

Hey, no problem. I have a few buddies who have Hi Points and have shot the .380 and 9mm. They did fine with no FTF or FTEs through several mags, FWIW.

But here's the upside. As you can see from just this thread, if you spend $90-100 on a used Hi-Point (and much less if you can find one that is a total POS as you can send it to the factory for $15 under warranty and they will fix it no matter what), it will probably be the cheapest "conversation piece" you will ever acquire. As you can see, every where you go around firearm guys you will spark all sorts of comments. ;)

LongRider

imported post

joshcdc wrote:
I alas don't have a firearm, as i'm a poor college student who can't afford one right now.. Most attacks in my city don't involve guns and we have a law against discharging firearms in city limits as well.A
A couple of questions and a couple of ideas for you
1) How much is your life worth? How much are the lives of your loved ones worth? Less than $300?
You can get Bersa Thunder for under $300 while 380 is not the most effective caliber it will do the job is you do your part. The Bersa is an extremely well made gun with exceptionally fine fit and finish 100% reliable and more accurate than many gun four times the price. It is a superior gun to the Walter PPK that it looks like and that costs four times as much. It is not a cheap gun it is an inexpensive gun that is an excellent weapon. For a hundred dollars more you can get a Stoeger Cougar which is a Beretta made in Turkey. It is the finest gun Beretta ever made and what the current Beretta Storms copy except that the Cougar is an all steel gun. IMO the best gun buy available but it is just over $400. For you I imagine $100 difference is alot so you will not do better than Bersa IMO
2) When a robber, a violent whack job or a rapist attacks you or your lady do you want to be in a fair fight or do you want to win unharmed?
Even if you were right which you are not read the police blotters Seattle has a high rate of gun violence, home invasions, rapes, robberies. The idea is not to engage an honorable fair fight. There is not such thing the only honorable fight is the one you avoid barring that it is the one you win with the least possible harm to yourself and loved ones period. Have you ever been in a knife fight or been attacked with a club or attacked by more than one person. I have. I have been beaten, clubbed, stabbed, shot and run over by a truck believe me you will want a gun if any of that happens to you
3) Last you are mistaken even in the Peoples Republic of Seattle it is lawful to discharge a gun in defense of self or others and to prevent a felony. As well as to prevent the escape of a violent felon fleeing from the scene of a crime.
Remember that dispite what comrade Nickels says you are the only one responcible for your well being and safety. It is your job and responcibility to protect yourself not the police. The Supreme court has repeatedly confirmed that simple fact. If you or a loved one gets injured maimed mutalated robbed rapped or killed because you are unwilling to cough up $300 and accept your responcibility for your own life will you be able to sleep at night? If the answer is no, than you know what you need to do. I could be wrong but it sounds to me that you are a decent young man whose life is worth more than $300. Thats only 74 lattes or 15 movies which I bet you can afford
Get armed
Get trained
Stay Safe

joshcdc

imported post

longstrider-i am actually in bellingham not seattle. I agree with you that a gun is necessary for lower risk self defense, im just saving up money right for one and trying to figure out a way to defend myself in the meantime. ima actually trained by a good martial arts scholl in the use of my machete, and i think i could win most melee figths with it, but your absolutely right i'd rather not get that close. and yes i was attacked and cut with a a shard of glass once, and i have been assaulted on a couple of other occasions in bellingham. some of the scariest experiences of my life. this is what made me decide i needed to carry a weapon. i'd really like a 1911 of some sort for the stopping power, but might settle for something a little cheaper for now until i can get together enough cash for a good piece. my loved ones lives are totally worth it, just don't have the cash just yet since im a broke college student.

compmanio365

imported post

joshcdc wrote:
longstrider-i am actually in bellingham not seattle. I agree with you that a gun is necessary for lower risk self defense, im just saving up money right for one and trying to figure out a way to defend myself in the meantime. ima actually trained by a good martial arts scholl in the use of my machete, and i think i could win most melee figths with it, but your absolutely right i'd rather not get that close. and yes i was attacked and cut with a a shard of glass once, and i have been assaulted on a couple of other occasions in bellingham. some of the scariest experiences of my life. this is what made me decide i needed to carry a weapon. i'd really like a 1911 of some sort for the stopping power, but might settle for something a little cheaper for now until i can get together enough cash for a good piece. my loved ones lives are totally worth it, just don't have the cash just yet since im a broke college student.
I had a Hi Point 45 for the longest time, and I have to say, the Hi Points really work, every time you pull the trigger. They are not the sexiest, lightest, or most feature packed gun out there, but the value cannot be beat. They just work and go bang when you pull the trigger. A Hi Point in the hand beats a Kimber at the gun shop any day of the week.......if you need the gun tomorrow cause a drug crazed junkie is beating down your door, you will sure want A GUN, no matter what kind, right then and there......so buy what you can, the soonest you can, then save up for something nicer later down the road....that's how I did it.