• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Else Can We Do?

kingmonkey

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What else can we do to put pressure on our elected representatives to recognize our right to open carry? I personally have been writing letters to each and every member of the Texas House and Senate and will continue to do so until something is done. I sure wish everyone would do that. Other than that what else can be done about it? I'm thinking about writing up a short hand out that will present several arguements for open carry and direct people to OpenCarry.org for more information. I'm going to take them to gun shows and hand them out to the people there.

You guys have any other ideas?

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kingmonkey wrote:
What else can we do to put pressure on our elected representatives to recognize our right to open carry? I personally have been writing letters to each and every member of the Texas House and Senate and will continue to do so until something is done. I sure wish everyone would do that. Other than that what else can be done about it? I'm thinking about writing up a short hand out that will present several arguements for open carry and direct people to OpenCarry.org for more information. I'm going to take them to gun shows and hand them out to the people there.

You guys have any other ideas?
Well, first of all, remember that no matter how much your congresscritter may WANT to change laws, nothing can be done until the Legislature reconvenes in January, 5 months from now. In those 5 months, as it has been in the last few, carry lawsshould remain at the forefront of discussion in this state. That shouldn't be too difficult; the spike in CHL applicationsis largely due to the passage of the 2007 car carry laws, coupled with nationwide speculation about what the next POTUS will add to federal gun law. We get a taste offorgotten liberty,andare then faced witha threat that it will be taken from us. In that case the Presidential election actually works FOR us instead of overshadowing "local" issues.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would suggest it is a good time to go down to your legislator's office and have a friendly chat. even if he is opposed to OC. Not an in your face kind of thing. Just a chat where you tell him what you think and he tells you what he thinks. Let him do most of the talking if you can.

They are human beings like everyone else and appreciate a friendly visit now and then. It may lead to something, it may not. many of them really truly want to hear from their constituents but few constituents really want to go talk to them.

RIAShooter

imported post

I don't think it really will matter to these people, they have to know that adding more and more restrictions are going to change nothing. Lets look at it from a criminals perspective.

Criminal - "Huh, I was gonna walk in with this gun tucked in my shirt and start killing random people, but shoot I don't wanna get charge with a minor trespass, or a gun charge, oh well I guess on to the next state that doesn't have such strict gun laws."

OR:

Criminal- "Huh I was gonna walk in with this gun tucked in my shirt and start killing random people, but shit look at all those people carrying guns in there, huh I really don't feel like getting shot, maybe I don't need the money that bad."

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I've emailed my rep (Todd Smith) a few times, even stopped at his office once and talked to his assistant, and to date have not received any reply or request to meet about Open Carry.

kingmonkey

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think that the more people who write and call their reps the more they will listen. A few calls and emails wont do. We need a massive letter writing campaign or something. Think of what 20,000 emails and letters would do.

tashkerra

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KingMonkey-- politicians listen if you write 20k emails...

However, they will put on 'headphones' when you talk Political Action Committee ($), money ($), and re-election. They love it when you talk dirty to them....;)

Make it clear that your vote not only counts but your money talks, and maybe that'll get their attention. ( Like an EF Hutton commercial!)

kingmonkey

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So then what we need is a real PAC that can raise money and hire real lobbyist that can lobby the Legislature.

SANDCREEK

imported post

Well. between now and January maybe you folks in Texas shouldconsider attaching a sling to a 30/30 or 12 ga. and OC that way. Maybe the legislators would decide OC'ing a side-arm was the lesser of the "evils". Just a thought - that's probably not very original.:uhoh: BTW I'll be traveling through West Texas down through the Hill Country for the next 3 weeks.Can I OC anywhere besides private property ?

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sorry SANDCREEK, but OC in Texas anywhere but private property will get you a short ride to the local Law Enforcement Center. Don' do eet. Thats kinda embarrassing to say. CC's ok though. We are really hoping to remedy that soon. Still, enjoy the hill country...it's no Rockies, but we like 'em.

akpoff

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cccook wrote:
Sorry SANDCREEK, but OC in Texas anywhere but private property will get you a short ride to the local Law Enforcement Center. Don' do eet. Thats kinda embarrassing to say. CC's ok though. We are really hoping to remedy that soon. Still, enjoy the hill country...it's no Rockies, but we like 'em.
Perhaps I misunderstood in my CHL class, but I walked away with the understanding that OC of rifles and long guns is not a criminal offense. Can you cite the relevant statute?

Cheers!

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

akpoff wrote:
cccook wrote:
Perhaps I misunderstood in my CHL class, but I walked away with the understanding that OC of rifles and long guns is not a criminal offense. Can you cite the relevant statute?

Cheers!
I think you're right about that akpoff. Guess I was tunnel visioned in on handgun OC. Sorry for the ambiguity, just trying to save a brother some unnecessary trouble. My bad. But hey... unnecessary trouble is just part of the deal.

akpoff

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cccook wrote:
akpoff wrote:
cccook wrote:

Cheers!
I think you're right about that akpoff. Guess I was tunnel visioned in on handgun OC. Sorry for the ambiguity, just trying to save a brother some unnecessary trouble. My bad. But hey... unnecessary trouble is just part of the deal.
No worries. Just wanted to make sure, especially since just this morning I suggested open-carry picnics of long guns in this thread. A statute criminalizing open carry of rifles would have made short work of that idea. :)

Cheers!

guyoliver2002

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One other thing, does anybody know who the most firearm friendly state legislators are? Perhaps we could put together a campaign to get them to draft a bill they think they could pass.

Guy

tashkerra

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One other thing, does anybody know who the most firearm friendly state legislators are? Perhaps we could put together a campaign to get them to draft a bill they think they could pass.
Funny that you should ask, Guy. The NRA keeps an active and current database of those legislators (in every state) that supports 2nd Amendment rights-- and those that don't. Since this is a major election year, that database will surely be up to date and complete with email addresses.

Add this to kingmonkey's push to start a political action committee [PAC] for OC rights, and you have the makings of a juggernaut!

cjlandry

imported post

I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm asking for something obvious.

Does anyone have a form letter that can be sent to my representatives?

Not because I'm lazy, but because I want to make sure that I cover all the bases in my letters and that I come across professionally and courteously.

Thanks.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What about putting ads in newspapers at the proper time? Radio spots?

What about 'free' media coverage? You could have an empty-holster conference and invite the media.

Edit: Or have a 'hand out flyers' day. Or team up with a local gun friendly business that could be persuaded to havea mobile radio team do a spot at their location.