• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah Wal Mart Market Managers

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

There has been a lot of talk about Wal Mart recently. So I decided to post the contact info for the market (regional) managers. Below each name, is a list of stores they manage. If you wish to contact your store's market manager regarding the lawful carry of firearms, feel free to do so. Wal Mart corporate has told me that it is the job of each market manager to research local laws regarding firearm possession. Addresses and phone numbers can be found here.

Rusty Davis Don Schulthies Jim Curtis Tim Woods

Syracuse West Valley (All 3) Orem All Utah Sams Club
Harrisville Tooele American Fork
Layton (Both) Taylorsville Lindon
South Ogden Murray Springville
Riverdale South Jordan (Both) Payson
Centerville West Jordan Price
Down Town SLC Draper Ephraim
13th E. SLC Sandy Richfield
West Haven Riverton Cedar City
Clinton Park City St. George

Rusty Davis' office is in the Syracuse Store.
Don Schulthies' office is in the Vest Valley Store on 5600 West.
Jim Curtis' office is in the Orem Store.
Tim Woods' office is in the West Jordan Sams Club.

Remember, Don Schulthies is the one who sent a letter to each of his stores explaining that anyone with a lawfully carried firearm is to be asked to leave his stores.

I have spoken with Jim Curtis, and he has no problem with lawfully carried firearms.

I have no info on Rusty Davis.

I walked past Tim Woods once in the Provo sams club while openly carrying, but I don't think he noticed. :p

Singlestack

imported post

thanks sarnt... I can speak from expierence that the Tooele store thinks that they can tell you no.. but I have OC'ed in there once and got a few looks, but nothing major, and ALWAYS carry my 1911 in a blackhawk concealed fanny pack. A few of the greeters even know I carry, and they don't care. One has even mentioned that they felt safer for the duration I was there.

One greeter even thought I was off duty TCSD ( tooele county sheriff's dept. ) because I was wearing a black t shirt and boots n jeans.

Anyways, nonetheless, thanks for the post.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Singlestack wrote:
thanks sarnt... I can speak from expierence that the Tooele store thinks that they can tell you no.. but I have OC'ed in there once and got a few looks, but nothing major, and ALWAYS carry my 1911 in a blackhawk concealed fanny pack. A few of the greeters even know I carry, and they don't care. One has even mentioned that they felt safer for the duration I was there.

One greeter even thought I was off duty TCSD ( tooele county sheriff's dept. ) because I was wearing a black t shirt and boots n jeans.

Anyways, nonetheless, thanks for the post.

Great. This is where i was going to try OC for the first time when I get my holster. I about cried when my wife went out and spent $45.00 to get her nails done. Just a few more bucks and I could have had my serpa. :banghead:I think she believes that I'm a walking money tree or something.

:X

k31

what are utah laws about open carry

i just moved here from W.V. i conceal carry but i would rather open carry while in town and out hunting i usually cc when in a bigger town than tooele or when i feel the need to
what things should i know to help avoid a ticket here in utah

swillden

i just moved here from W.V. i conceal carry but i would rather open carry while in town and out hunting i usually cc when in a bigger town than tooele or when i feel the need to
what things should i know to help avoid a ticket here in utah
Open carry is legal in Utah, with a few caveats.

First, you may not carry loaded on a public street unless you have a concealed carry permit. A permit from any state is fine. Note that Utah has an unusual definition of "loaded". For semi-automatics the definition basically means "no round in the chamber". For revolvers it's a little more complicated.

Second, you may not carry in a school zone (open or concealed), per federal law unless you have a Utah permit. This applies to K-12. With a permit from any state you can carry on state university campuses, though there's a war brewing there and you probably don't want to be a test case by carrying openly.

Third, if you are asked to leave private property (e.g. a store), and you refuse you may be cited for trespassing. If you see a "no guns" sign, other than on a place like a correctional facility, mental hospital, courthouse, church, private residence, federal building, etc., you are free to ignore it, because it has no legal weight. That said, I typically avoid OC on private property whose owners have bothered to put up a sign. I CC instead.

Fourth, you may not carry on a bus or train (e.g. UTA) without a permit.

I think that about covers it.

UtahOpenCarry.com

Sgt., I didn't see Vernal under any of the managers you listed. I did follow your link with the individual store numbers, and I will be making a phone call this afternoon..

I think it is Rusty Davis over the Vernal store (I'm a vernal native). I wrote him along with other managers in my area a letter last year.

UtahOpenCarry.com

Here is a portion of my Walmart letter from last summer:

Dear Wal-Mart Management

This is a letter of thanks and perhaps constructive criticism. I am a college graduate who works as .... I also, like some other 50,000+ Utahans, carry a firearm for protection of myself, my family and others. I have been issued a Utah Firearm Permit. Every day, I carry a firearm in a holster on my belt in a visible manner. This is called “Open Carry.”

I weekly shop at the ... Wal-Mart .... I had a GOOD experience recently as I was shopping while openly carrying my firearm, as I usually do. On Tuesday, ... I was shopping with my Wife and four Kids at about 6pm.

While we were walking between infants and girl’s clothing, a friendly associate named ... stopped me. She asked me, “Is that a real gun?” To which I replied that is was. She then asked me to wait there because she needed to get hold of a manager.

Sometime later she returned and said that she was able to talk to someone just under the co-manager who told her that she is not allowed to ask to see my permit, but that she can ask me if I have a permit. I replied that I did have one. She then explained that there were some issues earlier about people illegally carrying or not having permits. Our conversation was quickly joined by another man and woman who were, I assume, shift managers.

Everyone, including myself, was very friendly. The conversation did bring up a few things that made me think that they were misinformed on the legality of carrying with or without a permit. In Utah, a person can legally carry a firearm without a permit so long as it is carried openly and it does not have a round in the chamber (which an associate cannot check).

Carry of a firearm can be done in several different ways, each offering its own advantage. Concealed carry is the most inconspicuous. Most everyday people feel more comfortable concealing a firearm due their own social or tactical reasons. Someone who carries a concealed firearm MUST have a Firearm Permit. They MUST be at least 21 years old (in most cases) and pass a FBI background check to obtain such a permit.

Open carry is another method used my most Law Enforcement and Security Officers. It is also used by a growing number of everyday people, like me. Open carry has been proven as tactically superior, but most find this method socially uncomfortable. Someone with a clean criminal record may open carry without a permit at age of 18. However, most open carriers also have a permit because it lifts other restrictions.

As far as your customer’s personal rights are concerned, under all relevant law, a person in Utah may Openly Carry at age 18 at any store. A person may also Concealed Carry with a Permit at age 21 at any store. As far as Wal-Mart stores are affected, because it is private property, Wal-Mart may ask ANYONE to leave their store with ANY reason so long as it is without regards to race, religion, or gender.

I’ve been asked by a greeter in the past ... if I was a cop. When I said no I told him that I would cover up if he wanted. This brought up two concerns. First, some legal open carriers cannot legally cover up. Second, most people who carry for self protection are not cops. Being asked “Are you a cop?” is a bad opening to an understanding conversation because it has a false assumption that only cops can carry.

If an associate suspects anyone of carrying a firearm, and wishes to approach them, I’d recommend a conversation based on legality, not false assumptions or stereotypes. As an opening line they may ask “Are you carrying a concealed firearm?” if it is concealed or ask “Is that a real gun?” if it is open. Then, the only question that is really needed is: “Is it legal for you to carry that?”

If the experience I had reflects state-wide Wal-Mart policy, I am glad to see Wal-Mart choosing the middle ground by asking customers to follow the local law, nothing more and nothing less.