• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Time Reader, First Time Poster

indyguy

imported post

First off, may I just say that I have thoroughly enjoyed my time spent here in the Indiana section of Opencarry dot org. As the subject heading says, I have been following the posts for a while but this is my first post.

With that being said please allow me to introduce myself. My wife and children and I live in Hamilton County in the great state of Indiana. I have just recently purchased my first personal protection firearm and have also recently have applied for my lifetime carry permit. I look forward to continuing the exercising of my 2A right to have firearms.

I think open carry is a wonderful practice, not to mention our right, and I firmly believe more crimes and what not would be prevented if more folks open carried. Now a couple of questions if I may:

-Would any of you have direct links to the in dot gov websites open carry etc. handgun laws? This way I can print references for family and friends. (For said laws, does anyone care to give me the quick version. I fully plan to read the full version again and know it by heart. Heck, I even plan to carry info with me to help educate others. The site has opened my eyes and converted me to carry openly in general. Any of you who live in Greater Indianapolis know how dangerous its getting around here. Lets face it, we can't carry LE in our pockets with us.)

-When it comes to open carry, in Indiana, where exactly can I and can I not open carry? (From your posts and my understanding of Indiana law, I cannot carry at the airport or schools and certain government buildings? Am I to understand then that I can carry at the library then unless otherwise posted? Many of you have stated that unless it is posted at the entrance to the establishment, a firearm can be carried there i.e. Walmart, Meijer etc.)

-Any advice for confrontations with LEOs? (I know this has been an issue for some.)

Last but not least, if I have misunderstood any information presented in the boards or gleaned from our state laws please let me know. In this day in age, and in general, it does not pay to be uneducated. So please, feel free to shout out in response. I would love to hit the range with any or all of you sometime.

God Bless,

Indyguy

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The Indiana statutes can be found here: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/

In short, carry of any kind is illegal without a valid permit issued or recognized by the State of Indiana (35-47-2). Once you have that permit, you may carry however you please, EXCEPT:

* the State bars carry on school grounds or premises, except in cases where a lawful carrier in a car is dropping off or picking up another person from a sponsored activity or class at the school;

* localities can bar carry in public buildings or on public land, except for roads and ROWs of same; and

* State law mirrors Federal law for the most part regarding carry of weapons on aircraft or in airports; the secured area and the aircraft itself may not be entered by anyone with a firearm on or about their person, which also means it cannot be carryon luggage.

I do not see any restriction of carry in venues that sell alcohol, whether for on-premises consumption or at retail.

In short, other than the licensing requirement, you Indies have it pretty good.

bobcat

imported post

When you get your LTCH, note that it is a 'License to Carry a Handgun'. This means you can carry concealed or open as you wish with respect to the exceptions noted. There is no law against open carry with an LTCH, therefore it is legal. Be advised some cops DON'T know this.

Welcome aboard. Get some reputable training as soon as you get the $$ and opportunity as it will pay dividends and is a lot of fun to boot.

Yes, we have some decent laws here, very few restrictions on where we carry. Be sure to read the entire Code.

indyguy

imported post

Thank you very much everyone for the input and insight thus far.

I wonder: Has anyone on the Indiana board produced any pocket sized/wallet-sized literature and/or copies of the law when prompted about carrying that they would be willing to share? Or for having to clarify open carry or carrying in general with those who may misunderstand the law or perceive the law differently? (this unfortunately does happen I hear.)

Once again thank you for the info and for welcoming me.

God Bless,
Indyguy

Prometheus

imported post

Or for having to clarify open carry or carrying in general with those who may misunderstand the law or perceive the law differently?
There isn't a spot in the code (as has been posted above) that allows or disallows open or concealed carry. It is simply "carry a handgun on or about their person".

If you come across someone who "knows", prompt THEM to show you where it says you can conceal the handgun... no where does it say you can... or cannot.

If you run into a LEO who is ignorant on the laws make sure they contact their supervisor.

Finally, never let any call the LTCH anything but a LTCH. It is not a CCP or a CCW or whatever other silly improper acronym they apply to it.

Most of the confusion stems from the commonly used improper verbage.

Oh yeah, never get riled up. Stay calm and polite. You aren't doing anything wrong and any threats to the contrary are just that, threats. Nothing more.

Keep in mind that private propery owners have a Right to ask you to leave if they don't like your gun. If you don't leave, it's trespassing and that is a crime.