• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newport News police investigate series of robberies

2a4all

imported post

class="sectiontitle"

Filed by Melanie Woodrow
style="font-size: 14px; color: rgb(78, 78, 78);"N.N. police investigate series of robberies style="font-size: 9px; color: rgb(78, 78, 78);"Posted: var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Jul 30, 2008 8:50 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);July 30, 2008 08:50 PM

NEWPORT NEWS, VA. (WAVY.com) -- Newport News Police are looking forfour suspects they believe are responsiblefor robbingseven people at gunpointin the Kiln Creek Shopping Center Area.
Police say the firsttwo robberies happened Sunday night in the Regal Cinema Parking Lot at 100 Regal Way. Then Monday night, police say there was athird robbery in the Burger King parking lot at 130 Otis Drive. Each time, the victims were sitting inside their cars.
"We all need to be aware of our surroundings," saidNewport News Police Spokesperson Holly Tepper.
Tepper says by the time police responded to the first robbery, the suspects had already struck again in the same parking lot.
"When our officers were dispatched to the first incident they were actually approached by the third victim that said, 'I was also robbed,'" said Tepper.
The following night, police responded to the Burger King parking lot for a reported robbery. Same area, same suspect description and same scenario.
"It's like shocking,very shocking," said Teresa Jarvis.
Jarvissays she's never thought twice about bringing her 7-year-oldto watch a movie at the Regal Cinemas on 100 Regal Way.
"I've been here at nighttime and you would think that it's safe out here," said Jarvis.
Tepper says normally she'd advise people not to open the door or roll down a window,but in a situation like this, "It's better to give up that property than possibly being shot," said Tepper.
Jarvis agreed saying, "Best thing to do is just give them what they want and just pray to god that you get away alive."
None of the victims were physically hurt. Police say the suspects at the Burger King Robbery got away in a 1997 tan Honda Accord.
If you have any information that can help police in their investigation, call Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP. And remember, you can remain anonymous.

For those who are unfamiliar with the area, Kiln Creek is an upscale residential neighborhood. The shopping center is a large, open facility separated from the residential area by a divided highway. But it's where money and affluence can be found.

vt357

imported post

I was at the Starbucks at that shopping center 2 weekends ago with my wife, her sister, and brother-in-law. We got there about 9:50 PM, about 10 minutes before they close. We sat outside in the chairs talking and drinking coffee until about 11:15. I was OC'ing at the time - makes me extra glad I was. I have also OC'ed at the Uno's Pizza in that shopping center as well (that's the place that I actually overheard a whispered "OMG that man has a gun" as I walked by someone's table).

My BIL and SIL live in Kiln Creek. Both grew up around guns, but neither feel like they need to carry. I should forward the article to them to get them thinking.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've contacted the reporter and her editor with information about the SCOTUSdecisions which identify that the police have no legal responsibility to protect any individual citizen, and can without liability fail to respond to, or even ignore, calls to 9-1-1.

I further asked that they provide references to those SCOTUS decisions from now on when reporting about local crimes and when quoting the "advice" of local police on how to act during a crime.

Perhaps if the "ordinary reader" were to see that information along with reporting on recent local crimes they might, just maybe, understand that they are going to have to become more self-responsible for their safety and security. :)banghead::cuss::banghead:, Heck, I can dream, can't I?)

I'll see if they indicate any willingness to tell their readers the whole truth.

stay safe.

skidmark

Sea_Chicken

imported post

I Have had a couple attemped robberies tried on me when i was in portland i'll die before i cand over my wallet. complying with these assholes just makes them bolder with each attemp and then they eventualy kill or rape someone if you fight back weather you win or lose they'll think twice before they rob someone again.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Give them what they want and pray you get away alive...

Yeah, just pray. Don't do anything to ensure your own safety except give up, roll over and pray.

danbus

imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:

"I've been here at nighttime and you would think that it's safe out here," said Jarvis.
Tepper says normally she'd advise people not to open the door or roll down a window,but in a situation like this, "It's better to give up that property than possibly being shot," said Tepper.
Jarvis agreed saying, "Best thing to do is just give them what they want and just pray to god that you get away alive."
None of the victims were physically hurt, YET.

- red emphasis mine -

Lawd, we keep hearing the same sad song. Why would anyone think that places would just be "safe"? Because nothing has happened yet???? It just grinds my gears....

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pourshot wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Give them what they want and pray you get away alive...

What if the want the spouse?

*Depends on how long you've been married and how things are working out.*:p

The kids?

*If they are like some of the teenagers I have been around, meh, might let 'em go for cheap, might even give 'em away*:p

Your life? Give them what they want??? Oh H--- NO!

*Well now you're talking sense! *
Actually, I was quoting from the article and forgot the quotation marks.

Renegade

imported post

Very interesting - my family and I were leaving the Regal Cinemas in Kiln Creek Sunday night and wondered why there were half a dozen police cars with lights flashing while we left - I figured there was a fight or something.

I was never concerned though. As a good husband and father I had my .45 under my shirt along with a few extra mags...just in case.