Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REGARDING CARRY AT WAL-MART

Post imported post

In another thread I had posted about my wife getting asked to leave the wal-mart in Vernal.

I contacted the store manager(who was polite and courteous) about this. He contacted Jim Curtis(district manager)and called me back. Apparently the wal mart legal dept has determined that since it is legal for them to do so, they no longer allow OPEN OR CONCEALED carry in thier stores.

So there it is.

Post imported post

Meh. Won't change my shopping habits. I have been OCing in WalMart in Sandy maybe twice a week since April and nobody has EVER said anything...

Post imported post

Well, I never shop there anyway for reasons well beyond OCDOs scope.(something to do with the giant, souless, mega-corp thing.)

But up until now I thought we were good to go. Guess not. It sounds like they've got some middle/upper corporatemanagement that are anti, and they've thrown thier weight around the corporate legal dept.to get what they want.

Post imported post

Guess I had better start picking out which ninja star belt buckle goes best with my outfits when I go to Wal-Mart now.

Grrrr.
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Post imported post

Short or installing metal detectors or x-ray machines I don't see how Walmart will be able to stop people from CCing in their stores. I also bet that 9 out of 10 times when someone is OCing in their store nobody even notices because most people are oblivious to what is going on around them. But, if that is their position I'll just shop elsewhere.

Post imported post

Ya - that sucks.

What sucks even MORE than that, is i have NEVER had issues OCing at Walmarts. Ever... so it just sucks.

Post imported post

I don't think ccw folks will be bothered(concealed is concealed). But he did say that they have been asked to request that anyone carrying a gun(outside of LE folks, of course) be asked to leave the store.

If said individual refuses, they have been instructed to call local law enforcement and hit them with a trespass complaint. That came right from "corporate" through Mr. Curtis.

Post imported post

Ya - i dont think i would EVER refuse to leave somewhere if they asked me to due to my OCing. Talk about askin for a negative LEO encounter.

Post imported post

I don't think "corporate" told them to disallow carry. If you read this letter from Mark Johnson (legal) to Don Schulthies, (Market Manager) it simply states that retailers in Utah may prohibit carry.

Then, Mr. anti-gun Schulthies sends emails out to his "team" stating that they are to ask persons with firearms to "bitch-off"!

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

It appears that Mr. Curtis has joined Mr. Schulthies position at this point.

Maybe it'snot fromway up the chain, but seems to be from at least a district level. As for me, I will shop elsewhere for other reasons not tied to this forums mission anyway.

Locally, it could get reall interesting, as there is a high probability that the responding officer could be me brother.Assuming I didn't leave(which Ihappily would.)

I just remembered the ONE thing I do go to wal mart for a couple times per year-

DAMNIT, now I have to find somewhere else to buy skeet!

Post imported post

I do intend on taking one more step with this. Monday's my day off, and I intend to go down and see Mr. Curtis FTF. Much more to be learned in person from his demeanor and body languagethan just anonymously over the phone.

I'm going to try and find out just where the "no carry"position is comingfrom.

Post imported post

It's too bad corporate doesn't give a rats etc about their customers.

Every time I have e-mailed them about their position, they say that they can't tell me.

Ridiculous.

Post imported post

So what are you going to do about it, piss & moan? Have an OC rally, picket the store with signs, and call the press. Does Wal-Mart really want people out front carrying signs that say, "Wal-Mart prefers victims!" or "Wall-Mart is against the US Constitution!"

Mail the manager a letter directlyabout the plan.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    So what are you going to do about it, piss & moan? Have an OC rally, picket the store with signs, and call the press. Does Wal-Mart really want people out front carrying signs that say, "Wal-Mart prefers victims!" or "Wall-Mart is against the US Constitution!"

Think the media would put a positive spin on that? Think they'd even do a story in favor of OC?

After dealing with the media on a nearly daily basis, what they choose to report and more importantly HOW they choose to report can vary greatly. Get enough people and they'll definitely show....whether or not you get the media coverage you want to get is a flip of the coin. Just remember, they'll get everyone on camera and take the people who makes the biggest asses of themselves. After cutting it up and picking it apart, what airs is usually the complete opposite of what was really meant to be said or intended.

I'm all for a rally....negative television publicity is a HUGE problem for businesses which is why Get Gephardt does as well as he does. The only problem is with a topic like this in Utah is you have a (generally) liberal media in a conservative State that is heavily influenced by the predominant religion.

I can have direct involvement in a shooting, stabbing or car chase and I'll see four different news reports where none of them get the story correct as I see it.

Post imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
    they no longer allow OPEN OR CONCEALED carry in thier stores.
    I to am very curious how they are going to monitor concealed carry. I have never been kicked out of a place for CC'ing for the obvious reason of THEY DID NOT KNOW.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:

Wow -

Nice to see someone who is not all abot the "Talk". I will say this: You are goingt o have a hel of a time trying to fine people that will "Walk".

EXCELLENT idea, though.

Post imported post

It isn't yet time for a media event, for 2 reasons:

1. WHO do I/we aim at? The district manager? Or is it above that level? That's what I intend to find out monday.

2. More lead time for planning is needed. I should be able to give local members time to plan on attending.Also a busy saturday would be much more visible publicly, and better attended by our folks due to work schedules.

Post imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
    It isn't yet time for a media event, for 2 reasons:

1. WHO do I/we aim at? The district manager? Or is it above that level? That's what I intend to find out monday.

2. More lead time for planning is needed. I should be able to give local members time to plan on attending.Also a busy saturday would be much more visible publicly, and better attended by our folks due to work schedules.
    I agree. I wonder how far it will go from conception.

Post imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
    41 Magnum wrote:
    they no longer allow OPEN OR CONCEALED carry in thier stores.
    I to am very curious how they are going to monitor concealed carry. I have never been kicked out of a place for CC'ing for the obvious reason of THEY DID NOT KNOW.
    Since Walmart has determined that they are NOT going to post signs indicating that guns are not allowed in their stores then my impression would be that there is NO WAY for them to regulate concealed carry in their locations.

Am I correct in my assumption that without a sign being posted you aren't trespassing or breaking a law unless the private business (in this case Walmart) asks you to leave and you don't?

Post imported post

IANAL - From a CC or OC stand point unless they post a sign or ask you to leave a customer would reasonably have no idea that they were not a gun friendly place. At which point a tresspassing charge could only be applied if you were asked to leave and refused to comply.

Post imported post

ainokea wrote:
    IANAL - From a CC or OC stand point unless they post a sign or ask you to leave a customer would reasonably have no idea that they were not a gun friendly place. At which point a tresspassing charge could only be applied if you were asked to leave and refused to comply.
    That's what I thought.

Post imported post

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    ackk. posted wrong for some reason. What I was going to say was, "I thought all signs carried no legal weight.

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    ackk. posted wrong for some reason. What I was going to say was, "I thought all signs carried no legal weight.
    A Posted sign on private property must be recognized and adhered to. ( Right!?)

Post imported post

A no firearm sign in Utah mean nothing. If you choose to ignore the sign, there is no legal punishment.

However, if you are asked to leave, and refuse to do so, then you can be charged with trespassing.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast