• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

REGARDING CARRY AT WAL-MART

swjr

imported post

ainokea wrote:
IANAL - From a CC or OC stand point unless they post a sign or ask you to leave a customer would reasonably have no idea that they were not a gun friendly place. At which point a tresspassing charge could only be applied if you were asked to leave and refused to comply.
That's what I thought.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

A no firearm sign in Utah mean nothing. If you choose to ignore the sign, there is no legal punishment.

However, if you are asked to leave, and refuse to do so, then you can be charged with trespassing.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
A no firearm sign in Utah mean nothing. If you choose to ignore the sign, there is no legal punishment.

However, if you are asked to leave, and refuse to do so, then you can be charged with trespassing.
That's what I thought. :) Thx sarge.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:

That's what I thought. :) Thx sarge.
Unless the sign is on a private residence, or house of worship...

76-10-530. Trespass with a firearm in a house of worship or private residence -- Notice -- Penalt
(1) A person, including a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm pursuant to Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, after notice has been given as provided in Subsection (2) that firearms are prohibited, may not knowingly and intentionally:
(a) transport a firearm into:
(i) a house of worship; or
(ii) a private residence; or
(b) while in possession of a firearm, enter or remain in:
(i) a house of worship; or
(ii) a private residence.
(2) Notice that firearms are prohibited may be given by:
(a) personal communication to the actor by:
(i) the church or organization operating the house of worship;
(ii) the owner, lessee, or person with lawful right of possession of the private residence; or
(iii) a person with authority to act for the person or entity in Subsections (2)(a)(i) and (ii);
(b) posting of signs reasonably likely to come to the attention of persons entering the house of worship or private residence;
(c) announcement, by a person with authority to act for the church or organization operating the house of worship, in a regular congregational meeting in the house of worship;
(d) publication in a bulletin, newsletter, worship program, or similar document generally circulated or available to the members of the congregation regularly meeting in the house of worship; or
(e) publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the house of worship is located or the church or organization operating the house of worship has its principal office in this state.

ainokea

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:

Can you please clarify something for me? If a Private Business, (i.e. Energy Solutions Arena) it comes to mind because I know it is posted there, has a sign prohibiting firearms I could carry my firearm right passed the sign and not be charged with tresspassing unless I was asked let leave and did not comply?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

ainokea wrote:
Can you please clarify something for me? If a Private Business, (i.e. Energy Solutions Arena) it comes to mind because I know it is posted there, has a sign prohibiting firearms I could carry my firearm right passed the sign and not be charged with tresspassing unless I was asked let leave and did not comply?
That is correct.

ainokea

imported post

Thanks for the clarification. I knew that a church could prohibit you from carrying, but I thought the private residence law also applied to private business.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

I have been shopping frequently (for me) at the Lindon Walmart. In about 1 dozen trips to the store OC'ing I have only had 1 individual even approach me and mention the Kimber .45 cal on my right hip. That discussion amounted to asking me what I was carrying and then his inquiry to me about if I know of an upcoming CC class.

He did not have an employee namebadge nor did he in any way indicate to me that he was "store security" or "loss prevention."

Oh well, I will continue since I don't "know" that this is a "forbidden" action since they have allowed me in the past and I haven't seen any indication on the store.

JoeSparky

thx997303

imported post

Not to mention, that we have been given such a mixed bag of information, we really don't know what to think.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Not to mention, that we have been given such a mixed bag of information, we really don't know what to think.

Yeah. Hopefully, it's just some locals onan anti-trip. If that's the case then therecould be hope that the "higher ups" might fixt it later on.

:cuss:

NRAgoodgirl

imported post

Don't confuse a person's professional obligations with their personality or personal views. I am a close relative of Mr. Schulthies, and let me tell you, he is actually a gun enthusiast. Sometimes you have to make different choices when you represent another entity like your employer, than you would make for yourself personally.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Don has lost my respect and will never step foot in one of his store he lost my familes bussiness. So don't tell me he is a good guy. He is a wolf in sheeps clothing this guy is a sell out. I do not trust this guy and neither should you. A corperate sell out so tell don hi for me

ainokea

imported post

NRAgoodgirl wrote:
Don't confuse a person's professional obligations with their personality or personal views. I am a close relative of Mr. Schulthies, and let me tell you, he is actually a gun enthusiast. Sometimes you have to make different choices when you represent another entity like your employer, than you would make for yourself personally.

+1 There are many people here who have to make a similar choice. A lot of businesses don't allow employees to carry at work and most of ushave chosen tofollow the company policy because part of being responsible is seeing that your family is taken care of. I mean everyone has to eat no matter what your opinions are.

Edit: :celebrate:celebrate:celebrateWelcome to the forum please post often.:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

ScottyT

imported post

I have been OCing at the 1300 South 400 (?) West Wal-Mart probably twice a week for two months now and I have yet to be approached by anyone. Most of these trips are OCing in the Kilt! I thought that if any store in the valley would have a problem with it it would be that one!

I can't wait for the Sugarhouse Wal-Mart to open and carry there! Their clientelle might be a bit more sensitive to it.