• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WTB .22 for my 7 yo son

Nosrac

imported post

My son has been shooting my dads 22 rifles and light weight pistol. I'm looking for either a small cricket type rifle or a small frame pistol that he can handle. His little hands won't fit around any of the gunsthat I currenlyhave and my K22 is way too heavy for him. If anybody has anything of interest that they want to part with or have ideas on particular gunsI should look at let me know.

OT...even my wife mentioned yesterday that she would like to go shoot with us. WOW! She used to not like the firearms in the house. Now that my son loves it she is changing her mind me thinks. :)

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have a Henry Mini Bolt in perfect shape. I'm at work so I can't link to it. It's a scaled down single-shot bolt. Very reasonable.

MadHatter66

imported post

When I was 7 I was handed a Marlin .22 and told to make it work... That I would grow into it. Grew into, and I still love that rifle, best weapon in my collection and my favorite, I still put more rounds through my 22, then any other weapon. IMO I would get something that he will grow into, and let him use it... It will be a life long friend :)

MadHatter66

imported post

Mine was a Marlin 881 with a tube mag, while I am not a big fan of the tube mag, I have modified the feeder to work a whole lot better, and reliably...

I believe that it was the 825 that had the standard magazine. Now the Marlin bolt action 22s are in the 900 series... They look the same as the 800 series like mine, only now they have a synthetic stock option...

Marlin even replaced the stock on mine after about 10 years when I was carrying it, and the sling stud popped out, and the muzzle hit the ground and shattered my stock...Walnut stock too, was the weirdest thing... Shipped a new stock over night, was back killin small game in 24hrs...

When it was brand new the tube mag didnt feed worth a crap, it was always to high and hit the breach and would pop out the top , or didnt fully come out of the tube, and would get caught half way in the feeder... After filing down the feeder about 2mm, and massaging the spring so that it was a little weaker, I have made it 100% reliable... Throw in a $15 rim fire scope and I use it for hunting everything from unwanted birds to rats and racoons. I find that I can shoot out to about 150yds with accuracy, after that I might as well start throwing rocks...

When I got it I was 8, and it was to big for me...But as I grew into I learned all the nuamces of the gun, and now I know exactly where I going to put the round... Its like growing up with a dog, you learn all their traits... Grow up with the same gun, you will learn all the silly quirks of your gun... My grandfather gave it to me, and told me that this gun way my responsibility, you use it, you clean it, you repair it... You keep it locked up or away when not using it... You will lose it if you do not do these things... Like I said above, the only thing I wasnt able to do my self was the stock... Everything else he sat me down with a book on gun smiting, and said start reading... Learned ALOT about guns, and now feel confident enough to know what I am doing...

Valuable life lesson...

Bear 45/70

imported post

MadHatter66 wrote:
Mine was a Marlin 881 with a tube mag, while I am not a big fan of the tube mag, I have modified the feeder to work a whole lot better, and reliably...

I believe that it was the 825 that had the standard magazine. Now the Marlin bolt action 22s are in the 900 series... They look the same as the 800 series like mine, only now they have a synthetic stock option...

Marlin even replaced the stock on mine after about 10 years when I was carrying it, and the sling stud popped out, and the muzzle hit the ground and shattered my stock...Walnut stock too, was the weirdest thing... Shipped a new stock over night, was back killin small game in 24hrs...

When it was brand new the tube mag didnt feed worth a crap, it was always to high and hit the breach and would pop out the top , or didnt fully come out of the tube, and would get caught half way in the feeder... After filing down the feeder about 2mm, and massaging the spring so that it was a little weaker, I have made it 100% reliable... Throw in a $15 rim fire scope and I use it for hunting everything from unwanted birds to rats and racoons. I find that I can shoot out to about 150yds with accuracy, after that I might as well start throwing rocks...

When I got it I was 8, and it was to big for me...But as I grew into I learned all the nuamces of the gun, and now I know exactly where I going to put the round... Its like growing up with a dog, you learn all their traits... Grow up with the same gun, you will learn all the silly quirks of your gun... My grandfather gave it to me, and told me that this gun way my responsibility, you use it, you clean it, you repair it... You keep it locked up or away when not using it... You will lose it if you do not do these things... Like I said above, the only thing I wasnt able to do my self was the stock... Everything else he sat me down with a book on gun smiting, and said start reading... Learned ALOT about guns, and now feel confident enough to know what I am doing...

Valuable life lesson...
First was an AR-7 survival rifle then a Nylon 66, wish I still had the 66.

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Triple Tap wrote:
I agree with madhatter, I have a remi 10/22. Best gun ever. My 13 year daughter loves to shoot it, she has since 10 years old.
You mean Ruger?
The Ruger 10/22 is considered to be the 22 for the cost of it. They are real cheap at Wal-mart, that is if you Wal-mart still carries guns.

Holo

imported post

I have a Ruger 10/22 and I love it. Don't get plastic-lipped extended mags though. Mine kept jamming until I bought the metal-lipped mag. Not a single jam since.

Also have a Ruger Mk3 .22 that I really enjoy firing. It looks pretty good in my OC holster too.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
Sorry, your right, Ruger 10/22....dang...too many guns.:D
You have no clue about too many guns.
icon_thumright-1.gif

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

You might consider a Walther P22 for a pistol. The miniturized grip frame fits kids and small-handed adults very well, and with the right ammo combination they can be very accurate and reliable.