• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman slashed at Ferndale WA ATM

Mainsail

imported post

Whew, that copy/paste stuff is SO strenuous!

Woman slashed at Ferndale WA ATM

FERNDALE, Whatcom County — A 24-year-old woman required 50 stitches to close cuts to her throat and jaw line after a man armed with a box cutter attacked her as she withdrew money from an ATM machine.

Samantha Shields said she tried to back away as the man began slashing at her neck.

"He wasn't just trying to take my money," she said. "I thought he was trying to kill me."

A crew working inside the Whatcom Educational Credit Union heard her screams Monday morning and chased off the attacker, who ran off without taking anything from her.

A 20-year-old man was arrested a short time later after Ferndale police used dogs to track a scent from the credit union.

The suspect was booked into the Whatcom County Jail for investigation of first-degree assault with sexual motivation, said Ferndale police Lt. Matt Huffman.

"Honestly, I can tell you that I will not use another ATM like that," Shields said. "I'll go into the bank. Spending five minutes writing a check doesn't seem so bad now."

Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company

MadHatter66

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Sent this to the wife and said "This is why I get after you to make sure you are always carrying....."

The wife and I saw the story last night, and I have been working on her for a while to go with me to the range and do some shooting, and get her CPL and start carrying. I would hate for this to happen to someone in my family... This is why, if I am around I go with my wife and carry while doing so...

I even tried the "We can get you something cute and small, and a nice purse with a holster in it for you to carry in..." Which wasnt a deal breaker either...

DEROS72

imported post

Anyone also know how she said she felt sorry for the guy that attacked her.That what society has done.Made the victim feel responsible...... She is fortunate she didn,t bleed out .my daughtder isbank manager and I have been trying to get her to cary as as well for precisely those sorts of situations.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm sending this to the fiancee as more evidence of why she needs to carry.

She did send me a link to a CC training facility near her home today asking if it was a good facility. Progress!!

DEROS72

imported post

Thats a good start.As demonstrated in that article.This sort of attack can happen anytime to anyone....

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

After I read this I thought that if someone was OCing at that bank at the time of this attack, he may have prevented this attack from happening just by the attacker seeing a gun on someone in the area. I do see an advantage here of OC over CC.

As you may have seen me post on OCDO beforeit hurts me to see innocent people being attacked like this for no reason, and it does happen as this lady was attacked and did not provoke this at all,this is why everyone should be protected. This is so sad.

sharp

imported post

Interstingly enough my partner had this call. I was on a day off or I would have. He told me that the injuies were were not too serious not that the guy didn't try. What they didn't say was that while the dogs cornered him and gave him a love bite, ICE had two helecopters up looking for him with I believe infrared sensors. He had no chance of escape as he was in an area where there was no real place to go.

Thing about Whatcom county is being on the border the ICE guys just love to use all their fancy equipment to help out and get some free training. Its a bad place to try and hide. I've rolled up on calls and had to park 20 cars back and walk to the incident passing a lot of plain vehicles with guys sporting some nasty "star wars" type weapons and trunks full of others. Also vans with funny things sticking way out of the roofs. You never seem to notice them until something like this happens.:D

3/325

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Anyone also know how she said she felt sorry for the guy that attacked her.
I missed that part.

To me there is a serious difference between having compassion for a violent criminal and tolerating/excusing/or (God forbid) assuming some measure of responsibility for his actions. I have compassion for criminals, but being held accountable for the choices you make is a rock-solid standard across the board. Your mom was a junkie? Your dad was never around? Violence was a survival tool you were forced to use while you were young and impressionable? You have a mental disorder, a chemical imbalance? You sincerely can't get a job?

You have my prayers. But if you convince me that you're a genuine, imminent threat to me or my family you'll be getting more than just prayers. Compassion won't stop me from neutralizing a threat in the fastest, most efficient manner possible.

My respect for, and love of, life is a double-edged sword: It inspires compassion, yet it also inspires me to carry with conviction and resolve.