• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MAN WITH GUN TRAINGIN VIDEO

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Of course, any citizen with a gun is waiting to shoot at cops.
:cuss:
I have a feeling that our little training bulletins that end up in officers mailboxes are going to do little at countering this kind training.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, it appeared to be an ad for a dry fire type training system. I wonder how many PDs are using this. Basically the training amounts to shoot anyone with a gun unless they might be a cop.

Johnny Law

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
ridiculous videos.
I'm sure a random party will end in gunfire, as well as a man with a gun in his waistband.
These aren't training videos. They are scenarios that are projected onto a screen by a system called FATS. The officer is standing about 20' in front of a large screen and has a simulated handgun that is wired to the fats computer. The scenarios can play out one of two ways. They can be influenced by the Officer's actions, or the FATS operator can decide how they will progress. These are not "videos" as the actions of the "characters" on the screen can change, meaning there can be numerous turns of events during any given scenario. For example; When contacted,a character may stop whatever he is doing and be compliant, or he may produce a weapon, and shoot at the Officer. Each scenario has the capability to play out several different ways.

The purpose of this training is to prepare the Officer for the worst case scenario, hence the majority of them will likely end with gunfire. The Machine will register where the Officer's "bullets" struck, and only vital area hits will halt the bg's gunfire. We use this training all the time, and it is a real eye opener. It teaches shooting under stress, and getting good hits quickly. There's an old adagethat goes; he who gets the first hitwill likelywin the gunfight.

If you've never been in a gunfight, consider yourself fortunate. If you ever get into one, you'll be damn glad ifyou ever had this type oftraining. As an oc'er, you don't have criminals who specifically target you for death. Some of the people (criminals)out there don't like the Police, andwould likenothing more than to kill them. This is what is in the back of any good Officer's mind all day long while on shift, and it's what keeps you safe and alive.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
JDriver1.8t wrote:
ridiculous videos.
I'm sure a random party will end in gunfire, as well as a man with a gun in his waistband.
These aren't training videos. They are scenarios that are projected onto a screen by a system called FATS. The officer is standing about 20' in front of a large screen and has a simulated handgun that is wired to the fats computer. The scenarios can play out one of two ways. They can be influenced by the Officer's actions, or the FATS operator can decide how they will progress. These are not "videos" as the actions of the "characters" on the screen can change, meaning there can be numerous turns of events during any given scenario. For example; When contacted,a character may stop whatever he is doing and be compliant, or he may produce a weapon, and shoot at the Officer. Each scenario has the capability to play out several different ways.

The purpose of this training is to prepare the Officer for the worst case scenario, hence the majority of them will likely end with gunfire. The Machine will register where the Officer's "bullets" struck, and only vital area hits will halt the bg's gunfire. We use this training all the time, and it is a real eye opener. It teaches shooting under stress, and getting good hits quickly. There's an old adagethat goes; he who gets the first hitwill likelywin the gunfight.

If you've never been in a gunfight, consider yourself fortunate. If you ever get into one, you'll be damn glad ifyou ever had this type oftraining. As an oc'er, you don't have criminals who specifically target you for death. Some of the people (criminals)out there don't like the Police, andwould likenothing more than to kill them. This is what is in the back of any good Officer's mind all day long while on shift, and it's what keeps you safe and alive.
So is there any situation in this training where the officer sees a gun and doesn't get shot at? Other than when it's another cop of course. Seems to me like it's training cops to assume any citizen with a gun is wanting to shoot them.

thx997303

imported post

Yep, for all of the other scenarios, there were four outcomes, for the man with a gun, there were only two.

Military uses a similar system, only with M4s, and combat scenarios. Really nice simulator. I enjoy it thoroughly.

Even cycles the action on the weapons with compressed air. Really nice system.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Yep, for all of the other scenarios, there were four outcomes, for the man with a gun, there were only two.

Military uses a similar system, only with M4s, and combat scenarios. Really nice simulator. I enjoy it thoroughly.

Even cycles the action on the weapons with compressed air. Really nice system.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
JDriver1.8t wrote:
ridiculous videos.

I've seen some news programs on those type systems or maybe even that one. Looked like a great simulator and I wish I had that type of training available. Bet you learn a bunch doing the simulations.