• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for recorder tips, tricks or anything helpfull

fire suppressor

imported post

Yesterday I went out to best buy and got a voice recorder. I have never had a issue OC but know how prone we all are to it. I spent a little bit of money on it got a descent one not one of the crappy ones. I was looking at it at home and wasnt sure how the best way to carry it would be. What do you all do? put it in my breast pocket? wear it on my belt somehow? what do you all find is best? I tryed to find a mic on a cord I could clip up on my colar but couldnt..anyway any hints or tricks would be apreshiated.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

fire suppressor wrote:
Yesterday I went out to best buy and got a voice recorder. I have never had a issue OC but know how prone we all are to it. I spent a little bit of money on it got a descent one not one of the crappy ones. I was looking at it at home and wasnt sure how the best way to carry it would be. What do you all do? put it in my breast pocket? wear it on my belt somehow? what do you all find is best? I tryed to find a mic on a cord I could clip up on my colar but couldnt..anyway any hints or tricks would be apreshiated.

Pobably best not to reveal tactics on an open forum.

This is maybe one subject that should be answered by PM.

DEROS72

imported post

I would very much like to know as well.If you could PM me I would also appreciate it..

civil_lib

imported post

I don't understand why options on carrying a recorder would be so sensitive. I have one, and would welcome hearing how others carry theirs concealed. I have not yet figured out the least conspicuous manner of carrying it. I do have a microphone with a windscreen on a cord with a clip. However, I feel that even that is rather conspicuous - it's about 3/4 inch in diameter. I have played with the idea of distracting attention from the microphone by plugging in a pair of white earbuds and draping them somewhere (the microphone and cable are black). It also makes the recorder appear to be nothing more than an MP3 player.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

civil_lib wrote:
I don't understand why options on carrying a recorder would be so sensitive.
Because police monitor this forum.

Its not a huge deal. I'm using the idea that there is no use in making it easy for the anti-rights cops.

Let them wonder whether they are being recorded. Maybe they'll decide to respect the OCer's rights.

fire suppressor

imported post

then this poses another question, I know legally you are to notify people when they are being recorded on the phone do you legally have to tell them in person?

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In WA state you DO need to notify all parties to a private conversation.
You DO NOT need to notify particiapants in a public conversation. Chatting with a uniformed LEO is a public conversation.

czth

imported post

I got an Olympus DS-30 after reading the voice recorder thread (there's a picture of it on the first page). My local Radio Shack had one without a box that had a 12% discount and doubled return period, on top of the current sale price; I normally don't shop there but it was good deal. I found it was a bit noisy recording with the built-in microphone from my (jeans) pocket, so I also bought an ME-15 microphone from Amazon (bit steep, but works very well). I've used it a few times OCing and buying things from random people via Craigslist, and it's great. I clip the microphone to the inside of my shirt, and run the cord to my pocket. So far each time I've been recording has been in a public place, so I haven't had to notify anyone. I may pick up the TP-7 telephone adapter, too; it gets good review on Amazon and looks useful.

(Are there any laws I could run afoul of recording in a concealed manner, besides the fact that I can't record a private conversation without notifying the participants? I'm not really doing it to be secretive, just to avoid alarm and annoying questions. In the same vein, are there penalties for recording a private conversation, besides it not being admissible in court?)

fire suppressor

imported post

thanks czth I bought the same olympus DS-30. After a little research on the olympus site I came to the same conclusion with the ME-15, I dont hae it yet its in the mail but am excited. All and all its been a great recorder for me just playing around with it. Just make sure if its in your pocket it once you put it on record you put it on hold so you dont acidently stop the recording early

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've looked at some, but haven't bought any yet, but I have thought I could make a pouch for it to be carried on a belt and leave a hole in the pouch to press the record button. Asso I would not be fumbling with it and get asked what I'm doing.

I like the ear bud idea as a mic so it would look like an MP3 player ;)

Triple Tap

imported post

Best to have it on all the time when your out. If it is a digital model find out what the length of recording is, and will it start to re-record over the old stuff in the beginning. FIFO ( First in, First out )

Dont reach for anything/something ( to turn on ) during a LEO stop and talk, especially on your belt level. Talking about making them nervous :shock:.

Stay safe !