• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Powerless to stop corrupt cop

yankees98a

imported post

I had my hearing for a seat belt ticket.
1. I had my seat belt on. As I was exiting my car I got pulled over and told I didnt
2. When I asked the officer's name after the ticket I was asked if my passenger wanted a ticket
3. Internal affairs called me on New Years Eve at 11:30pm and New Years morning (a month after my complaint was filed)

Anyway the officer didn't know his vision, didn't remember I had passengers, didn't remember when he pulled me over ( a block from where he first saw I didn't have a seat belt), couldn't explain how he saw over my passenger (my big sister in law) to see me, just somehow I didn't have my seat belt on.

I still lost. Such a scam. It cost me more to go to the hearing but I wanted to show my nephew what the justice system was like. It's a $90 penalty in NYC.

If I appeal it will cost me $30 (non refundable). Anyone think it's worth it?

bobcat

imported post

If you have to ask, NO.

Such are the benefits of living in a large metro area.

Forget it and move on unless you've got the $$$$cash to put up a big fight.

codename_47

imported post

It cost me more to go to the hearing but I wanted to show my nephew what the justice system was like. It's a $90 penalty in NYC.

That isn't the justice system. The justice system is you suing them in Federal court.

Want to fight it in the future? Get a digital recorder and dash cam.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Been there, done that, lost too and I'm even a seatbelt nazi in my own vehicles and won't ride with someone who doesn't have functional seat belts (my fiancee thinks I'm an adrenaline junky but I always point out that I am a very SAFE adrenaline junky ;) ). Pay the man, move on with your life and flip off that particular cop every time you see him.

No wait, that last thing was bad advice. Just pay up and move on, yeah, that's it.

Gunslinger

imported post

yankees98a wrote:
I had my hearing for a seat belt ticket.
1. I had my seat belt on. As I was exiting my car I got pulled over and told I didnt
2. When I asked the officer's name after the ticket I was asked if my passenger wanted a ticket
3. Internal affairs called me on New Years Eve at 11:30pm and New Years morning (a month after my complaint was filed)

Anyway the officer didn't know his vision, didn't remember I had passengers, didn't remember when he pulled me over ( a block from where he first saw I didn't have a seat belt), couldn't explain how he saw over my passenger (my big sister in law) to see me, just somehow I didn't have my seat belt on.

I still lost. Such a scam. It cost me more to go to the hearing but I wanted to show my nephew what the justice system was like. It's a $90 penalty in NYC.

If I appeal it will cost me $30 (non refundable). Anyone think it's worth it?
He has to not only tell you his name, but show you picture ID upon your demand. Refile a complaint with internal affairs over that part and his threat. Remember, in Traffic "Court," unless you are or hire a lawyer, it will be your word against the cop's. An appeal to Superior Court would have a much better understanding of rules of evidence and innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. However, on what grounds would you appeal? You didn't like the verdict? That's why they charge an appeal bond. Did the judge make a ruling incorrectly on ainterpretationof law, or did he believe the cop over you? The former can get a reversal; the latter, tough nugies. Save your $30 and file the complaint again.

Michigander

imported post

Dang, that sucks. I got a cop in trouble for lying under oath when he pulled me over ans unjustly ticketed me. :celebrate