• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can I NOT open carry in Missouri?

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have deterred more crime than I have can caused that's a fact. :p

Walked in the hood, and never been jumped (while carrying)

Carrying a gun open is safer than not, CC may have its advantages but its not worth ask my master for permission to protect myself from the thieves, and murders, but leaving the politicians out of this theirs the average criminal too.

Cops have guns, we should to keep there egos down. That's not a bash, that's a fact that a majority of cops nowadays, feel "I AM THE LAW"

ComSec

Diver_59

imported post

Marble Hill, and Jackson Missouri has no ordinances against OC. Cape Girardeau and Perryville has an ordinance against open carry. That's all I know about at the moment.

moptop

imported post

Icalled the Callaway county Sherriff's Dept and asked them directly if there were any law's or restrictions in that county that do not allow OC and the deputy said that as long as you are not a felon and can legally own a firearm you CAN OC in that county. In Missouri it different from countyto county, city to city.The best place to start is that county's Sherriff Dept. I also know that is no restriction for OC in Boone or Cole. I have yet to contact Audrain on this. From what I have been told, the Sherriff can tell you if there are any cities in their county that have any restrictions on the books.

I hope this hepls anyone in the Columbia area.

Moptop

Article1section23

imported post

Diver_59 wrote:
Marble Hill, and Jackson Missouri has no ordinances against OC. Cape Girardeau and Perryville has an ordinance against open carry. That's all I know about at the moment.
Diver...read this section 9.04.010 - it only states concealed, so OC is ok in Perryville.

[align=left]

Codified through Ordinance No. 5015, passed March 3, 2009 [/align]
http://www.cityofperryville.com/pdf/coo/code.pdfhttp://www.cityofperryville.com/pdf/coo/code.pdfhttp://www.cityofperryville.com/pdf/coo/code.pdf

Superlite27

imported post

Hmmmmm. I just packed my XDm into Graf'sSaturday and encountered no problems whatsoever.

Of course, it was Graf's, so that could've had something to do with it.

I also stopped into a Shell station at the intersection of 54 and 70 and, once again, encountered no problems, although I believe that's in Calloway.

If you can post an ordinance from Mexico that makesOC a no-no, I'll refrain from frightening the poor milquetoasts in Mexico with the horrendous sight of my "oooooooh scary" firearm.

BTW: Welcome to OCDO. If you're from Kingdom City, you are no longer a misplaced Texan, you are now a well located Missourian.

Misplaced Texan

imported post

Ordinance No. 4090

Chapter 10

Article VI
Sec. 10-182. Unlawful possession or use of weapons.
Subdivision (6)

(a)A person commits the offense of unlawful possession or use of weapons if he knowingly:

(1)Carries, concealed upon or about his person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or

(2)Possesses or discharges a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated; or

(3)Discharges a firearm; or

(4)Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any church or place where people have assembled for worship, or into any election precinct on any election day, or into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government, state government, or political subdivision thereof; or

(5)Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

(6)Openly carries a firearm readily capable of lethal use

Carnivore

imported post

Misplaced Texan wrote:
http://www.natesit.com/oc/mooc.htm

This guy has a list of open carry towns in Missouri.

He has researced city ordinances all over Missouri and put together this list.

I keep it in my truck all the time. You find it useful, I hope it helps.

P.S.

Thanks you for the WELCOME.
This list needs to upgraded to show postal /zip codes, because it has crystal city on both sides of the iasle ..

gunman

imported post

i spoke with a leo the other day,he said if you have a ccw you can carry any way you wish.i know not to take the advice of a leo,i ask them every chance i get to see if i get a different answer and so far from city police to the county sheriff i always get the same answer.

Misplaced Texan

imported post

You can find what you need to know about municipal codes for Missouri towns @ Municode.com and Sullivan Publications. You can copy and paste to microsoft word.

You will find weapons and firearms under "Public Safety" (Offenses).

Hope this helps everyone out there!

Big Red Truck

imported post

[sup][sub]It's my understand that even if there is not a law that stipulates no open carry that you can be sighted with causing a disturbance in some one complains. You can also be sighted with insighting a disturbance, if a disturbance does occur even if your not involved.
[/sub][/sup]

Article1section23

imported post

Big Red Truck wrote:
[suP][suB]It's my understand that even if there is not a law that stipulates no open carry that you can be sighted with causing a disturbance in some one complains. You can also be sighted with insighting a disturbance, if a disturbance does occur even if your not involved.
[/suB][/suP]

BRT,

How do you come by that understanding? 574 RSMo

Big Red Truck

imported post

Jackson Co Sheriff Dept, sighted me in 1999. Misdemeanor disturbing the peace. 500.00 fine and attorney fees.
KCMO warned me in 1995

peterarthur

imported post

Misplaced Texan wrote:
Ordinance No. 4090

Chapter 10

Article VI
Subdivision (6)

(a)A person commits the offense of unlawful possession or use of weapons if he knowingly:

(1)Carries, concealed upon or about his person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or

(4)Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any church or place where people have assembled for worship, or into any election precinct on any election day, or into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government, state government, or political subdivision thereof; or

(5)Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

So could you open carry unloaded like they do in California with ammo in a holder? It is NOT readily capable of lethal use if unloaded... :)

Superlite27

imported post

peterarthur wrote:
Misplaced Texan wrote:
Ordinance No. 4090

Chapter 10

Article VI
Subdivision (6)

So could you open carry unloaded like they do in California with ammo in a holder? It is NOT readily capable of lethal use if unloaded... :)

This ordinance is for Mexico Missouri. Many other municipalities have almost the exact same ordinance, but list (6) in the "exemptions" section for CCW holders.

Here is the exemption section for Mexico:

(d)Subdivisions (1), (4) and (5) of subsection (a) shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to [RSMo] 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

Hmmmmm. Nope. Subdivision (6) is NOT exempted as it is in many other municipalities. Therefore, OC would be legal in these other places because it is specifically exempted from these ordinances.

Unfortunately, in Mexico Missouri, it seems to be outlawed and NOT exempted by CCW. Therefore, OC is illegal in Mexico Missouri.

ETA: I just noticed what you meant by "not readily available". I'm guessing this would be determined in a court. Good luck with that. I'm not going to be the one to test it.

aadvark

imported post

A Bill that would have done away with Local Open Carry Option, by rewriting State Preemption, failed to pass in The Missouri Legislature.

In essence, Localities may still continue to Regulate Open Carry.

However, Concealed Carry is Preempted State-wide, and Local Governments may not restrict this practice in:

1. Public Buildings,

2. Voting Booths, and

3. Churches

Essentially, Open Carry is Legal in those places too with a Concealed Pistol Permit, but since Local Governments have the option to Ban Open Carry, you must Conceal to remain in line with the Law.

MK

imported post

In Columbia Missouri you can't carry openly in parks I do believe due to this local ordinance. I think you can open carry everywhere else as allowed under state and federal laws. I don't think you can carry on University property though but don't know exactly where this prohibition is located at the moment.

Section 17-98 Hunting; carrying and use of weapons.

It shall be unlawful for any person in a park to use, carry or possess firearms of any description, or air rifles, spring-guns, bow and arrows, slings or any other forms of weapons potentially inimical to wildlife and dangerous to human safety, or any instrument that can be loaded with and fire blank cartridges, or any kind of trapping device. It shall be unlawful for any person to shootinto park areas from beyondpark boundaries.
This section shall not prohibit any person in a park from carrying a concealed firearm if the person has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued by the Missouri director of revenue under Section 571.094 RSMo or has a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms, issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.