• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can I NOT open carry in Missouri?

PhilofMU

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I've been researching all day and can't seem to find anyone that can tell me where I CANNOT open carry in Missouri. I live in Columbia, unfortunately the Berkley of the Midwest, and most of the information on carrying seems to be hidden as deep as possible. I also have family in St. Charles, St. Peters, Lake St. Louis, etc. Does anyone KNOW of a city/county where it is ILLEGAL to open carry?

Also, what constitutes "Open Carry"? Does it have to be totally visible or just so that people can see it? I have a CCW, but it's hard to conceal a full frame .45 during the Summer.

Shadow Walker

imported post

ComSec wrote:
from my understanding if you have a CCW you can OC or CC even in cities that prohibit it, can anyone verifiy that

My reading of the law is that CC is OK throughout the state, it's OC that is regulated by the local municipalities.

Shadow Walker

imported post

PhilofMU wrote:
Also, what constitutes "Open Carry"? Does it have to be totally visible or just so that people can see it? I have a CCW, but it's hard to conceal a full frame .45 during the Summer.

If you are going to invoke your open carry right, you should make sure it's completely visible. Your CCW should keep you out of trouble, but it looks like a grey area. Avoid grey areas.

I'm having the same problem as you trying to find OC info. Half the time the info is not readily available and official sources can be vague on the subject. If I get any info I'll forward it to you.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Missouri does not have preemption for OC, however, CC is fully preempted. The MO statutes website is down at the moment so I can't provide a link to the exact statute regarding OC but I can tell you it is covered in RsMO 571 which section also includes the off limit areas for CC.

Now, on to OC. Not being preempted the rules vary from place to place. Some cities such as O'Fallon, MO near St. Louis have just lifted the CC language from the state statute, pasted it into the ordinance and made OC and CC subject to the same off limits rules. Other places such as St. Louis City, North Kansas City and Cape Girardeau have complete bans on OC. It really is difficult to find out where you can and cannot OC in MO. Several city's ordinances can be found at:
http://www.municode.com
http://www.bpcnet.com/codes.htm and/or
http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/codes-slp/

As to printing or accidentally exposing your CC firearm, I would think that is another depends where you are thing. That statute just says "concealed" but does not define it. We were taught in my CC class that incidental/accidental exposure is not illegal in MO, however, I would be leery of it in say St Louis City, but unconcerned other places.

If you have a CCW, I can't see that accidentally covering your firearm while OC would be an issue. The worst they could do would be to claim you were CC in which case you are still covered with your CCW. However, as has been mentione throughout the forum, playing "peek-a-boo" with your sidearm is always a bad idea and can be seen as suspicious. Either carry open or carry concealed and try to keep it in which ever state you have chosen.

nodaywithout

imported post

in kc mo dont carry down town or any entertainment distric ie lots of bars.

i am visiting from oklahoma and i am enjoying being able to use my 2nd amend right in full. cc is good and all but change can be cool.

Article1section23

imported post

ComSec wrote:
from my understanding if you have a CCW you can OC or CC even in cities that prohibit it, can anyone verifiy that
Verified...your wrong. RSMo 21.750 .3

Article1section23

imported post

nodaywithout wrote:
in kc mo dont carry down town or any entertainment distric ie lots of bars.

i am visiting from oklahoma and i am enjoying being able to use my 2nd amend right in full. cc is good and all but change can be cool.
KC is ok for OC. Downtown and all the entertainment districts.

Article1section23

imported post

PhilofMU wrote:
I've been researching all day and can't seem to find anyone that can tell me where I CANNOT open carry in Missouri. I live in Columbia, unfortunately the Berkley of the Midwest, and most of the information on carrying seems to be hidden as deep as possible. I also have family in St. Charles, St. Peters, Lake St. Louis, etc. Does anyone KNOW of a city/county where it is ILLEGAL to open carry?

Deep is putting you on the right track...man he post a lot. Wonder if he hasjob or not..lol.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shawn wrote:
PhilofMU wrote:

Deep is putting you on the right track...man he post a lot. Wonder if he hasjob or not..lol.
I have 3 jobs but business is really slow the last several months so I have had far too much free time at the office and have spent a lot of it here.

kb0tpz

imported post

hey guys look up kerner vs. state from 1921 it has clear info on open carry in mo, and has not changed as of yet but it is true there are cities that have there own laws on it.

Article1section23

imported post

kb0tpz wrote:
hey guys look up kerner vs. state from 1921 it has clear info on open carry in mo, and has not changed as of yet but it is true there are cities that have there own laws on it.
I've not read that one....there is one out of NC that is State vs Kerner...is this the case your talking about? If so, it doesn't apply.

kb0tpz

imported post

I do stand corrected I thoaught that that took place here in mo? my bad and just wondering why it does not apply?

Thanks,
KB0TPZ

DaFuzz55

imported post

That is true. But you do risk being stopped more often and delayed. The whole idea is to not let the bad guys know you are carring. The element of surprise is on your side then and the local leo's will not bother you unless you give reason for a stop.:cuss:

Article1section23

imported post

kb0tpz wrote:
I do stand corrected I thoaught that that took place here in mo? my bad and just wondering why it does not apply?

Thanks,
KB0TPZ

It was the NCSC and was interperting its RKBA provision, doesn't have any effect on MO, but the courts can and I believe have, used this case, when talking about Art. 1, sec 23 of the MO constitution.

Courts don't have to use or cite to another case to prove their point, such as Bliss v. Comm in VT.

Article1section23

imported post

DaFuzz55 wrote:
That is true. But you do risk being stopped more often and delayed. The whole idea is to not let the bad guys know you are carring. The element of surprise is on your side then and the local leo's will not bother you unless you give reason for a stop.:cuss:
Hey D, this is your third post andwe understand concealed means concealed, that is not the point of this forum. I hope you now understand, these post are for OPEN Carry. Perhaps you can be helpful or go rant someplace else.

DaFuzz55

imported post

So why do you want to reply like a jerk? My response was indeed addressing OC not concealed. I stated a fact not hypothisis.

captainamerica

imported post

Is it a fact that OC really puts the person in harms way of criminals targeting them? I've read and heard numerous accusations but never read or heard of any substantive proof. But the part about OC adding to your chances of being hassled is very documentable, as per this web forum.