• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello! New member here.

wayradbrad

imported post

Just wanted to say hi to all. I've been reading alot of these threads and open carried for the first time this week and it was very empowering. I have my ccw permit but wanted to carry open so I did. Great experience. :celebrate

TheDuellist

imported post

Heya, welcome! Evil Ernie has it right; lots of good people on here.

Have you spoken with any Broomfield PD to get their take on open carry? While they may not be up to speed on state statutes, preemption,etc, I've found it very instructive to see what the guys on the ground that you'll be dealing with if you do have an incident know about open carry laws. It can help you prepare your response and tailor your reply if you ever have a confrontation with the PD to know what arguments they'll be using.

Welcome to the forums!

wayradbrad

imported post

Thanks Evil ernie, glad to be here. Don't have any reason to really go into Denver. I see you in alot of the posting here. If I have questions from time to time I may go right to you if that's ok.

wayradbrad

imported post

Thanks Duellist. Have not spoken to any Brommfield pd as of yet, but what a great idea. The truth is I am trying to soak up as much info. as I can about open carry as well as concealed carry. Thanks again for the welcome.

Evil Ernie

imported post

I may not always have the answer (or the right answer:uhoh:) but feel free to ask anything. Everyone here has the bases covered for pretty much any inquiry so someone will definitely be available to help.

And yes, I hang out here waaaaay too much for my own good :lol:.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wayradbrad wrote:
Just wanted to say hi to all. I've been reading alot of these threads and open carried for the first time this week and it was very empowering. I have my ccw permit but wanted to carry open so I did. Great experience. :celebrate

It's nice to hear you had a great experience for your first time. Were you nervous any? I know I was a bit the first time I OCed, but the more I see thatpeople didnot really care that I had a gun, (at least from whatI saw) i am getting more comfortable with it. At one time before I OCed I saw lots of post about less than desirable encounters, but theencounters that are non eventful that people have throughout the day, which did not get posted on OCDO far out number the bad. SO yes OC is not as bad asit may seem from someone who has never done it, and for the most part it is a great experience.

Welcome to OCDO, it's good to have you here

Anubis

imported post

Welcome!

wayradbrad wrote:
Have not spoken to any Broomfield pd as of yet, but what a great idea.
It is a good idea to check the police, for their likely reaction to an MWAG call, not for the law. You can use what they tell you to plan your course of action. For example, if anticipating an unpleasant encounter, some OCers carry a pocket digital voice recorder to have an accurate record of what is said by all parties. In CO, this is legal because only 1 party need be aware that the record is being made.

RedKnightt

imported post

Anubis wrote:
Welcome!

wayradbrad wrote:
Have not spoken to any Broomfield pd as of yet, but what a great idea.
It is a good idea to check the police, for their likely reaction to an MWAG call, not for the law. You can use what they tell you to plan your course of action. For example, if anticipating an unpleasant encounter, some OCers carry a pocket digital voice recorder to have an accurate record of what is said by all parties. In CO, this is legal because only 1 party need be aware that the record is being made.
Welcome! If you are going to speak with the police, I would get the voice recorder before doing so. That way you could record that conversation as well. I've seen some postings where the police gave the person wrong information about OCing. Hope you have great uneventful experiences where no one cares that you are OCing :lol:

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

wayradbrad

imported post

I was a little nervous but confident and it was great! I travel back and forth from Colorado to Wyoming and so I carried myKimberstainless TLE RL and only one gentleman from Nebraska asked me about it. He wasn't even aware that you could carry open and the truth is I didn't know either until a month ago.Very nice guy. Thank you for the welcome Alwayspacking.