• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USA Today Poll on the Second Amendment

DEROS72

imported post

Voted.It will be interesting to see how they spin this.....The results are pretty overwehlming.

Gene Beasley

imported post

I'm curious as to why they even have the poll. Isn't that what Heller resolved? Granted the scope was limited, but the majority sure seemed to be sending that message.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gene Beasley wrote:
SNIP Isn't that what Heller resolved?
Understand that Heller only resolved the court's stance on the question.

I vaguely recall a poll like that prior to Heller. I wonder if the poll pre-dates the decision?

Bill45

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Kind of a stupid poll. The SCOTUS already said the 2nddoes and there is nobody than can override that decision.

Actually the Heller ruling did not have any affect on State or local gun laws only gun laws passed by the Federal government such as Wa. DC.

It will take a further ruling by SCOTUS on a lawsuit against a local or state gun ban (Such as Chicago) to bring the Heller decision to the non-federal level. Just as in other civil rights decisions the courts initial ruling covered only Federal law untill other lawsuites made their way up to SCOTUS.

So we are not out of the woods yet. If Oboma is elected and gets to appoint more judges we may never get our 2nd Amendment rights except on the federal level. Which means the US Government can't ban guns, but California or Seattle can. Depending on how the next SCOTUS ruling goes in years to come. Remember 4 judges think you have no right to own a firearm.