• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stopped by an officer

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dave1947 wrote:
Do you let him remove from my holster or draw it out and give it to him butt first,or can he just look for a loaded chamber indicator.

I can't imagine too many cops are going to pass up the opportunity to also run the serial number.

I'm betting they want to remove it from the holster.

Definitely let him take it, rather than hand it to him. In the presence of a cop, do not reach towards your gun.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

The officer will likely tell you what they want. I think most will instructyou to interlace your fingers behind your head while they disarm you. It's entirely likely some officers will handcuff you while they remove your firearm, but that didn't happen to me.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Even if they asked me nicely I wouldn't hand them my firearm. There are two very good reasons for this:

1. They could shoot you and very easily get away with it. It wouldn't be the first time a cop shot someone who was complying with their orders... (Anybody remember the So Cal cop telling the guy repeatedly to stand up then shooting him as soon as he moved?)

2. It indicates consent. I never give consent for any searches. I don't recommend resisting the unconstitutional searches you may endure, but don't help them.

TheCiscoKid

imported post

i remember that, it was San Bernardino Sherrif. HORRIBLE. here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJASMpyhYMc

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Even if they asked me nicely I wouldn't hand them my firearm. There are two very good reasons for this:

1. They could shoot you and very easily get away with it. It wouldn't be the first time a cop shot someone who was complying with their orders... (Anybody remember the So Cal cop telling the guy repeatedly to stand up then shooting him as soon as he moved?)

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

I hate seeing shit like this, and you know the cop will say "as he was standing up he reaching inside his -FILL IN THE BLANK WITH ANYTHING HERE- and I was forced to shoot him".

I love the fact that more and more of these incidents are being video taped. We need to ALL drive and go through our daily lives with the ability to record it just like the cops do.

I hope someone would see my side of things if I ended up shot by some dumb cop who is too trigger happy and doesn't like my attitude.

You shouldn't have to be overly nice to a cop to stay alive.

:X

TheCiscoKid wrote:
i remember that, it was San Bernardino Sherrif. HORRIBLE. here's the link
CA_Libertarian wrote:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Has anybody discussed that maybe the prosecutor deliberately pursued a criminal charge that didn't fit the circumstancesso the officer would have a stronger chance of beingaquitted?

From what I know of the case, I would have said something like attempted involuntary manslaughter, if there is such a thing. From my off-forum reading, I was under the impression the officer was so stressed out he wasmechanically repeating the words "get up" when he intended the victim to do something else (can't recall what, though.)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Has anybody discussed that maybe the prosecutor deliberately pursued a criminal charge that didn't fit the circumstancesso the officer would have a stronger chance of beingaquitted?
I hear this is a common tactic. Charge the hardest thing to convict on so it all just goes away eventually. All you can do is vote them out of office next time around.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA