• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know about OC in NC

Bullbuster

imported post

I also posted this in the NC forum but thought maybe someone here could help me as well.

Ok I was told tonight I will be going to the Camp Lajuan area in the morning to fix one of our broken A/C. I'll taking my own truck, stayingwith a fellow co worker at his folks (they are OK with me having my gun), and will be working at a small airport in the area. The fix will probably have us there till Sunday at least.

I'd like to take my gun and OC while there when and where I can. Thats why I'm posting this. I don't know the NC laws for OC and didn't really find anything of help when looking. Can someone please give a short sweet and to the point break down for OCing in NC. I'll be hitting the road about 10am so I'll be checking back here prior probably several times.

Thanks in advance.

vrwmiller

imported post

While it is a year old and some things could have changed since then, I posted a thread with links to some NC laws I received from the NC state police a year ago. The URL is:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/3387.html

Additionally, I do recommend taking some time to browse the first 7 - 10 pages of the NC forum. There are numerous threads regarding NC carry laws. Of course, I don't advocate taking these forum discussions as gospel. You'll want to back up any claims with cites and case law.

Bullbuster

imported post

Well I wasn't able to check this while I was gone so I went with what I did know and OC'd to my coworkers folks place. I didn't take it to the Jacksonville airport with me. I couldn't have it with me anyway while working. So It was too and from only.

I did stop for gas at a Shell both too and from. Don't know the name of the towns but I had no problem from anyone so that was nice. I will brush up on NC gun laws for sure so I know when I make my next trip south.

Thanks for the info eventhough Ididn't get it till after the fact.

sccrref

imported post

My info is dated but it does include code cites that should put you in the ball park as it were.

NORTH CAROLINA CONCEALED

Places off-limits while carrying

Date updated: Jul 29, 2005 @ 2:18 pm

PicExportError
Schools, public or private all levels including universities. §14-269.2

PicExportError
Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged. §14-269.3

PicExportError
Assemblies and establishments where alcohol is both sold and consumed. §14-269.3

PicExportError
State Buildings: State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice. §14-269.4

PicExportError
State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there are State offices. §14-415.11(c)

PicExportError
Law Enforcement or Correctional Facilities. §14-415.11(c)

PicExportError
Financial Institutions. §14-415.11(c)

PicExportError
Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. §14-277.2

PicExportError
Areas of emergencies or riots. §14-288.7

PicExportError
Where notice of carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement. §14-415.11(c)

Car/Gun law summary

Date updated: Aug 24, 2005 @ 10:07 pm

TRANSPORTING WEAPONS

Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure that their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon either on or about them without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the person's accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of the automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of our law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as, under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; in an unlocked glove compartment; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. A previous opinion from this office was that a weapon would not be concealed if it were placed in a locked glove compartment, unless the key to the glove compartment was in the lock and the person was in close proximity and had ready access to it. A concern with this mode of transportation however is that it is quite susceptible to different interpretations, based on the various factors involved. Therefore, this may not be the most legally defensible method of transporting a weapon, and is discouraged.

While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems attendant to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of a person being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that person's purpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that a person immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback, is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate our law.

As to those vehicles with no easily discernible trunk area, for example vans, the question turns on a factual determination of when the weapon is within ready and easy access to an occupant of the vehicle. If the weapon is concealed near, in close proximity to, or within the convenient control and access of an occupant, which would allow him to use the weapon quickly, then a fair probability exists that the occupant is in violation of the law. Therefore, care must be exercised by any occupant of a vehicle to ensure that the weapons are securely locked away in as remote an area as possible in relation to the passenger compartment of the vehicle. It is important to emphasize that these prohibitions apply to passengers, as well as the driver of a vehicle.
(From North Carolina Justice Academy, Firearms Laws)

bayboy42

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
I also posted this in the NC forum but thought maybe someone here could help me as well.

Ok I was told tonight I will be going to the Camp Lajuan area in the morning to fix one of our broken A/C. I'll taking my own truck, stayingwith a fellow co worker at his folks (they are OK with me having my gun), and will be working at a small airport in the area. The fix will probably have us there till Sunday at least.

I'd like to take my gun and OC while there when and where I can. Thats why I'm posting this. I don't know the NC laws for OC and didn't really find anything of help when looking. Can someone please give a short sweet and to the point break down for OCing in NC. I'll be hitting the road about 10am so I'll be checking back here prior probably several times.

Thanks in advance.
Just for my brain's sake....does Camp Lajuan = Camp Lejeune?

Bullbuster

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Bullbuster wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Yes you are correct. Yet again my brains spell check failed me.

bayboy42

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
Bullbuster wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Yes you are correct. Yet again my brains spell check failed me.
I wasn't trying to knit pick....i just spent a lot of time as a contractor doing work for USMC and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything!!

Bullbuster

imported post

sccrref wrote:
Bullbuster wrote:
Well with respect to the General I'll stick to the NAVY.
+1 How else are the Marines going to get where they want to go? :lol:
Good point they can't swim in water over their ankles and the Coast Guard don't go in water over their knees and well the Air Force they just take up space. Plus we all know they ARMY Ain't Ready for Marines Yet.