Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Cal does everyone carry and why?

Post imported post

I just got done reading the PDF file from the FBI and i have to say DAMN thats alot of shots fired into someone. So this only puts my mind at ease about carrying a 45.

so my question is to the board, What cal do u carry and why do u carry it?

Post imported post

Glock 30 (45ACP); because this is the gun I shoot best with. Self-defense shooting is just like real estate: location, location, location.

Post imported post

9mm S&W Sigma , because I can shoot it well. And because I got a good deal on it. I also on occasion carry a S&W 38 special or a 380 ACP. Depends on what I am doing.

But the 9 is the every day carry.

Post imported post

SA XD Service .45 ACP. I also carry 230 Gr speer Gold dots.

Before I turned 21 I put a good 500 rnds through my friends XD .40. I was set on getting a .40 but my brother and other gun friends all shot .45. I did a lot of reserach and everyone said to just try the .45 Xd before I make my purchase. So the day I turned 21, I went to go try the XD .45 Tactical (Only .45 XDat the range) and I liked it much more. It was more of a "push" then a "snap".

I was a bit angry because I was set on an OD green .40 Xd which I had placed on hold the day before. Well long story short, I found a .45 XD in Dark Earth ("poo poo brown") and the rest is history! :celebrate

I chose the .45 ACp because it felt the most comfortable to me. Furthermore, I like to look at it this way,would you rather be hit with say a civic going 50 MPH or a truck going 30 MPH. Also, even if the .45 doesn't expand correctly, its still a .45 hole. :celebrate

I just wish I could shoot .45 at the price of 9mm

Post imported post

Always .45.

Have had 1911s XD, just night before last I was able to replace my favorite......picked up a nice Sig P220ST.

Happy as a clam once more!!

Post imported post

The gun I want ultimately is a compact .45. I want to get a good 1911 style, but since those are pretty expensive, I'm liking my Sig P6 in 9mm for now. I got my Hi-Point in .45, but need to find a hollow point that will feed through it fine.

Post imported post

.40 Glock 23c

Post imported post

Para OrdnancePara Companion .45 LDA singlestack

State Researcher

Post imported post

.357 mag Ruger Security Six with .38+p.

Why? Because it suits me. The +p .38 is more than ample for self defense, and I can always pop in .357 if I want to. I also have a .45 I may start carrying more often soon.

Post imported post

Carried almost everything from 38 thru 45 ACP at one time or another. In the last 20 years it hadmostly beena SA Commander sized 1911 until problems with my grip sent me back to a wheel gun. A Charter Arms Bulldog "PUG" in 44 Special. I use 240 grain bullets at 850 fps, so only a minor loss of bullet diameter and a slight increase in bullet weight.

Post imported post

.40S&W in a Glock 27.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

i carry an HK USP-Compact .40 S&W. i picked it after i rented everything i could get my hands on and narrowed it down to that or the Sig P229. i picked the USP because it offers more carry options with the same accuracy and robustness. the caliber i picked because it wanted more punch than a 9mm, and more capacity than the .45. same as a lot of people. the .40 is a "compromise" caliber they say. "they" are right. it offers a good blend of energy delivered and capacity.

Bobby

Post imported post

I appriciate all the responses i have gotten on this subject, I have carried everything from a 9mm-10mm and i currently carry a 45 because A i love my tangfolio and be there is something about having a 45 cal round hollow point to protect me.

My other half wants a 5-7 but i dont think it will stop someone as efficiently as a 45 will. 20 rd cap is nice in a gun but if all the rounds go through the person and none stop long enough to do major internal damage then the weapon is useless.

Versus if u can take a hollowpoint and the second it hits human flesh and expands causing severe internal damage and drops that person dead then its worth it to me to have less ammo per mag.

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

Daily carry is a M&P9c. Carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot 124gr 9mm+P. When size isn't an issue I carry my Glock 23 or Sig P229 (165gr .40SW Winchester Ranger LE SXT).

If I am going to OC, I see no point in being shy, so I take the Glock 21SF (230gr .45acp Winchester Ranger LESXT). If 14 rounds of .45 (27 with a reload)can't get the job done, than I have no business carrying a gun, or it just plain is my day to die.

Yes, lots of rounds fired and if you look, no center mass hits to the torso. Shot placement will ALWAYS trump caliber. Two 9mm to the chest is better than eight .45 to the extremities (except the head of course ).

That said, with all else equal, carrying the biggest caliber you can manage and shoot wellis never abad idea...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I carry 2 guns on me all the time. either a XD .40 a XDm.40 or a 1911 .45 ACP with a J frame 357.mag as a backup.

with the 1911 I get a big round with a short trigger which is awesome.

TheXD guns have never jammed once on me, and I get cap rounds with nice size rounds with the XD. About that report any round can fail, so I would not count out the .40cal over that report.

with the 357. its so light I really forget I have it on me at times, and I can rest my hand on it in my pocketand no one will ever knows about it.To be honest with you, I really think if I ever had to draw my weapon, it may be my 357.mag firstbecause if I think a attack is about to happen, my hand will already be on it.

Post imported post

I carry a Glock 23 (40 S&W) off duty. On Duty, I carry a Glock 22 (Also 40 S&W)

Post imported post

I have a Para Ordinance full size 1911. From the first time the Army put a 1911 in my hand it "just felt right." It's really hard to justify not using a bullet that has been around almost 100 years and used in countless battles.

Post imported post

I carry either my 380 ,9, 10, 40, 357 sig, or 45. I don't think caliber matters as much as shot placement. However I must admit I favor the 357sig more than the others.

Post imported post

Kimber .45 (that's a 1911 frame for those of you that don't know) full size 5" barrel. Just can't argue with the stopping power of the .45...

Edit: Federal 230 gr Hydrashocks
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Glock 21sf.......................cause my internet research told me too. And my Marine son.

Post imported post

44 spec. Because, I CAN put the bullet where I want it every time. Wheel gun with a reload.

Post imported post

Sig P226 in 9mm. 18+1 flush fit of 124gr +p gold dot.

Why? Follow up shots are quicker and more accurate than with a higher caliber. I am more comfortable knowing I can put 19 good sized holes in someone faster and more accurately than 8-12 holes that are only .1" bigger.

Again, that is personal choice, everyone needs to make their own decision.

And Sig? I know it will always go bang. Always.

Post imported post

I primarily carry either my XD45 or my Sig P228 (9mm). I prefer the .45 round as I am a believer in fat and slow to stop BGs. While many argue that there is little advantage for the .45 over a 9mm in ballistics for modern rounds, I would argue back that in the real world it is often only a slight advantage that means the difference between alive and dead.

I bought a 9mm for ammo availability and prices. I'm not overly concerned about carrying a 9mm vs a .45 and the balance and sights of the Sig, IMO, are superior so I can acquire my sights and target faster making me somewhat more accurate with the Sig on the combat course than with the XD which I think balances out any deficiency between caliber. The Sig is also slightly easier to conceal, and being that I live in a city with a no-OC ordinance that is handy.

So I prefer a .45, but carry a 9mm slightly less than half the time because of the gun, not because of the caliber.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
    44 spec. Because, I CAN put the bullet where I want it every time. Wheel gun with a reload.
    Now THERE's a good answer.

ETA: .45 ACP, either Sig P220 or 1911, because I'm a better shot with them then I am with my Ruger .357.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast