• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Cal does everyone carry and why?

Trigger Dr

imported post

44 spec. Because, I CAN put the bullet where I want it every time. Wheel gun with a reload.

David.Car

imported post

Sig P226 in 9mm. 18+1 flush fit of 124gr +p gold dot.

Why? Follow up shots are quicker and more accurate than with a higher caliber. I am more comfortable knowing I can put 19 good sized holes in someone faster and more accurately than 8-12 holes that are only .1" bigger.

Again, that is personal choice, everyone needs to make their own decision.

And Sig? I know it will always go bang. Always.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I primarily carry either my XD45 or my Sig P228 (9mm). I prefer the .45 round as I am a believer in fat and slow to stop BGs. While many argue that there is little advantage for the .45 over a 9mm in ballistics for modern rounds, I would argue back that in the real world it is often only a slight advantage that means the difference between alive and dead.

I bought a 9mm for ammo availability and prices. I'm not overly concerned about carrying a 9mm vs a .45 and the balance and sights of the Sig, IMO, are superior so I can acquire my sights and target faster making me somewhat more accurate with the Sig on the combat course than with the XD which I think balances out any deficiency between caliber. The Sig is also slightly easier to conceal, and being that I live in a city with a no-OC ordinance that is handy.

So I prefer a .45, but carry a 9mm slightly less than half the time because of the gun, not because of the caliber.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
44 spec. Because, I CAN put the bullet where I want it every time. Wheel gun with a reload.
Now THERE's a good answer.

ETA: .45 ACP, either Sig P220 or 1911, because I'm a better shot with them then I am with my Ruger .357.

MadHatter66

imported post

I carry a 1911, the 45 ACP has unprecedented stopping power...Its old, produced in 1944, and all still original...Shoots straight, and just like the day it came of the line. I carry it in a Galco Skyops IWB tuckable holster... Great set up, and a great way to hide a full frame 1911, my wife doesnt even know I am packin it most of the time unless she pats me down...

Gama

imported post

Ruger GP100 4" Stainless

I did a lot of research, and thought long and hard before picking my carry choice. It has the same trigger pull everytime. It is bright and shiny if I need to find it at night. It is always loaded and safe from drops. It is ambidextrous, and even a novice can understand "point and shoot". I load it with 200gr Cor-Bon .357 Magnum hunting rounds when I hike and .357 Magnum JHPs when I play. I can load it with .38 for my wife to shoot.

Gama

arms_libertas

imported post

Icarry .40, I like the crispness of the recoil, it's a little cheaper to shoot, and the stopping power is comparable to the .45ACP.

I will say that in my Glock 23, when the magazine gets low and the the fiearm becomes nose heavy, it's less fun to shoot and harder to control, butwith my XD service model(which is a little heavier) I don't have that problem. So weight/balanceis more of a factor with the .40 rounds.

In terms of feedback, for me the .40 is like driving a sports car vs the .45 which feels more like a Cadillac (although a mean, hungry Cadillac). You feel everything "on the road" so to speak with the .40 and the .45 is smoother and a little more gentle on the recoil.

RedKnightt

imported post

I carry a Baby Eagle in .45. I wanted something in .45 ACP, and I like that it has a little higher capacity than an 1911 (I have one of those, too :D), has a manual safety, is a pretty rugged gun, is a proven design (based on the CZ-75), and most importantly (to me), it fits my hands very well and is very comfortable to shoot. I also really like the way it looks, but that is a very secondary characteristic for me.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

ScorpioMk

imported post

kimber .45

0403081402-00.jpg

David.Car

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I primarily carry either my XD45 or my Sig P228 (9mm). I prefer the .45 round as I am a believer in fat and slow to stop BGs. While many argue that there is little advantage for the .45 over a 9mm in ballistics for modern rounds, I would argue back that in the real world it is often only a slight advantage that means the difference between alive and dead.

I bought a 9mm for ammo availability and prices. I'm not overly concerned about carrying a 9mm vs a .45 and the balance and sights of the Sig, IMO, are superior so I can acquire my sights and target faster making me somewhat more accurate with the Sig on the combat course than with the XD which I think balances out any deficiency between caliber. The Sig is also slightly easier to conceal, and being that I live in a city with a no-OC ordinance that is handy.

So I prefer a .45, but carry a 9mm slightly less than half the time because of the gun, not because of the caliber.
Sounds to me like you just need to get a sig in a different caliber ;)

compmanio365

imported post

45, of course! What you see in the picture, Kimber Pro Carry II......

I carry the Kel Tec PF-9 when I have to have deep concealment.....only in situations where the phrase, "Better a 9 in the pocket, than a 45 back at the house," applies.....

Ravenhawk

imported post

.45 & 9mm + extra magazine for each & 12 extra .45 slugs on gunbelt (2 guns & 40 rounds) ..

I picked up one of those "old western" style gunbelts and talk about lightning the load I got a big .45 and I swear it feels weightless compared to regular belt/side holster! No more pulling pants up & I can run pull speed like there's nothing there, I can't put into words how much better it is ...

9mm is carried in shoulder holster BUG.

Been open carrying alot more with gunbelt.

.45 (stopping power) & 9mm BUG (lighter)

TechnoWeenie

imported post

9mm.

• Inexpensive rounds=more training time for the $.
  • Larger capacity mags (17+1 vs. 10+1 for avg. .45) along with more training mean I have a greater probability of hitting the target.
  • Figurea 20% hit ratio in an adrenaline pumped situation, means3 (or 4)9mm rounds OT versus2 .45 round OT..
  • I'll take an extra round (or 2)OT,altough it is smaller, statisticaly speaking it's still going to do more damage, and have a higher likelyhood of hitting a major organ/nerve bundle/etc to stop the threat.

Bear 45/70

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
9mm.

• Inexpensive rounds=more training time for the $.
  • Larger capacity mags (17+1 vs. 10+1 for avg. .45) along with more training mean I have a greater probability of hitting the target.
  • Figurea 20% hit ratio in an adrenaline pumped situation, means3 (or 4)9mm rounds OT versus2 .45 round OT..
  • I'll take an extra round (or 2)OT,altough it is smaller, statisticaly speaking it's still going to do more damage, and have a higher likelyhood of hitting a major organ/nerve bundle/etc to stop the threat.
Reloading equals more rounds per dollar. But all the practice in the world won't change being undergunned.

FE427TP

imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
My other half wants a 5-7 but i dont think it will stop someone as efficiently as a 45 will. 20 rd cap is nice in a gun but if all the rounds go through the person and none stop long enough to do major internal damage then the weapon is useless.
You might point out to your other half that the 5&7 is the ballistic equivalent of a 22 hornet it's not a self defense cartridge unless you have the AP ammo (not available to civilians) and are engaging people at close range wearing body armor

David.Car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Reloading equals more rounds per dollar. But all the practice in the world won't change being undergunned.
If you think a 9mm with modern day SD ammo is being undergunned, well... Thats your illogical opinion.