• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Cal does everyone carry and why?

jarhead1911A

imported post

I just got done reading the PDF file from the FBI and i have to say DAMN thats alot of shots fired into someone. So this only puts my mind at ease about carrying a 45.

so my question is to the board, What cal do u carry and why do u carry it?

ghosthunter

imported post

9mm S&W Sigma , because I can shoot it well. And because I got a good deal on it. I also on occasion carry a S&W 38 special or a 380 ACP. Depends on what I am doing.

But the 9 is the every day carry.

krazichinaman

imported post

SA XD Service .45 ACP. I also carry 230 Gr speer Gold dots.

Before I turned 21 I put a good 500 rnds through my friends XD .40. I was set on getting a .40 but my brother and other gun friends all shot .45. I did a lot of reserach and everyone said to just try the .45 Xd before I make my purchase. So the day I turned 21, I went to go try the XD .45 Tactical (Only .45 XDat the range) and I liked it much more. It was more of a "push" then a "snap".

I was a bit angry because I was set on an OD green .40 Xd which I had placed on hold the day before. Well long story short, I found a .45 XD in Dark Earth ("poo poo brown") and the rest is history! :celebrate

I chose the .45 ACp because it felt the most comfortable to me. Furthermore, I like to look at it this way,would you rather be hit with say a civic going 50 MPH or a truck going 30 MPH. Also, even if the .45 doesn't expand correctly, its still a .45 hole. :celebrate

I just wish I could shoot .45 at the price of 9mm :banghead:

Patch

imported post

Always .45.

Have had 1911s XD, just night before last I was able to replace my favorite......picked up a nice Sig P220ST.

Happy as a clam once more!!

holeinhead

imported post

The gun I want ultimately is a compact .45. I want to get a good 1911 style, but since those are pretty expensive, I'm liking my Sig P6 in 9mm for now. I got my Hi-Point in .45, but need to find a hollow point that will feed through it fine.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

.357 mag Ruger Security Six with .38+p.

Why? Because it suits me. The +p .38 is more than ample for self defense, and I can always pop in .357 if I want to. I also have a .45 I may start carrying more often soon.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Carried almost everything from 38 thru 45 ACP at one time or another. In the last 20 years it hadmostly beena SA Commander sized 1911 until problems with my grip sent me back to a wheel gun. A Charter Arms Bulldog "PUG" in 44 Special. I use 240 grain bullets at 850 fps, so only a minor loss of bullet diameter and a slight increase in bullet weight.

Bobarino

imported post

i carry an HK USP-Compact .40 S&W. i picked it after i rented everything i could get my hands on and narrowed it down to that or the Sig P229. i picked the USP because it offers more carry options with the same accuracy and robustness. the caliber i picked because it wanted more punch than a 9mm, and more capacity than the .45. same as a lot of people. the .40 is a "compromise" caliber they say. "they" are right. it offers a good blend of energy delivered and capacity.

Bobby

jarhead1911A

imported post

I appriciate all the responses i have gotten on this subject, I have carried everything from a 9mm-10mm and i currently carry a 45 because A i love my tangfolio and be there is something about having a 45 cal round hollow point to protect me.

My other half wants a 5-7 but i dont think it will stop someone as efficiently as a 45 will. 20 rd cap is nice in a gun but if all the rounds go through the person and none stop long enough to do major internal damage then the weapon is useless.

Versus if u can take a hollowpoint and the second it hits human flesh and expands causing severe internal damage and drops that person dead then its worth it to me to have less ammo per mag.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Daily carry is a M&P9c. Carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot 124gr 9mm+P. When size isn't an issue I carry my Glock 23 or Sig P229 (165gr .40SW Winchester Ranger LE SXT).

If I am going to OC, I see no point in being shy, so I take the Glock 21SF (230gr .45acp Winchester Ranger LESXT). If 14 rounds of .45 (27 with a reload)can't get the job done, than I have no business carrying a gun, or it just plain is my day to die.

Yes, lots of rounds fired and if you look, no center mass hits to the torso. Shot placement will ALWAYS trump caliber. Two 9mm to the chest is better than eight .45 to the extremities (except the head of course ;)).

That said, with all else equal, carrying the biggest caliber you can manage and shoot wellis never abad idea...

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry 2 guns on me all the time. either a XD .40 a XDm.40 or a 1911 .45 ACP with a J frame 357.mag as a backup.

with the 1911 I get a big round with a short trigger which is awesome.

TheXD guns have never jammed once on me, and I get cap rounds with nice size rounds with the XD. About that report any round can fail, so I would not count out the .40cal over that report.

with the 357. its so light I really forget I have it on me at times, and I can rest my hand on it in my pocketand no one will ever knows about it.To be honest with you, I really think if I ever had to draw my weapon, it may be my 357.mag firstbecause if I think a attack is about to happen, my hand will already be on it.

EOD

imported post

I carry a Glock 23 (40 S&W) off duty. On Duty, I carry a Glock 22 (Also 40 S&W)

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I have a Para Ordinance full size 1911. From the first time the Army put a 1911 in my hand it "just felt right." It's really hard to justify not using a bullet that has been around almost 100 years and used in countless battles.

Spaceman Spiff

imported post

I carry either my 380 ,9, 10, 40, 357 sig, or 45. I don't think caliber matters as much as shot placement. However I must admit I favor the 357sig more than the others.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Kimber .45 (that's a 1911 frame for those of you that don't know) full size 5" barrel. Just can't argue with the stopping power of the .45... :lol:

Edit: Federal 230 gr Hydrashocks