• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone have any experience with a Kel-Tec P11 ?

t3rmin

imported post

Love it. 12+1 rds of 9mm+P in a package that conceals with a t-shirt. Inexpensive, too.

Not a ton of fun at the range, but it always functions flawlessly for me and I can hit a man-sized target at typical confrontation ranges. So it fits the bill.

I am considering adding a PF-9 (or maybe even a P3AT) to the stable at some point, though. Thinner at the expense of capacity. I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea of less capacity, and there are some times I want even more comfort and absolutely CANNOT be outed.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I don't have a P11, but I do have both a PF-9 and a P3AT. I love both of them, and the PF-9 is my every day carry gun. I have no problems trusting my life to it.

I've also heard that the company is awesome when it comes to customer service- they will work with you until you are satisfied. I don't know about that personally, because my guns have worked so flawlessly, that I haven't needed to contact them at all.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I have one in OD green, equipped with night sights, belt clip, and magazine finger extension. I've also added a Whites Trigger stop. Its a good shooter if you have good magazines.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

My gf carries a P11 everyday. It is eminently concealable and qualifies as an excellant BUG too. Normal capacity is 10+1; however 12 rd mags (12+1) are available from Kel-Tec and with the avail. grip extender will fit even large hands nicely.

I have shot this handgun on several occasions and find it surprisingly accurate, easy to handle and a nice small package. Kudos to Kel-Tec.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p11.htm

Yata hey

markand

imported post

I bought a P-11 new about 8 years ago. Unfortunately, my experience with it hasn't been very good. On the plus side, Kel-Tec has been very helpful. They sent me a free firing pin when the original broke and gave me instructions over the phone when I was replacing it. The sent me a new slide and barrel when I complained about burrs and machining imperfections interfering with movement of the slide. They talked me through removing the fire control unit (trigger, hammer and such) from the gun so I could polish various surfaces and lubricate things that might improve reliability (which they also talked me through). They even took the gun back at no charge and went over it themselves before sending it back. It was better after this treatment, but not good enough.

Despite all of this, I have never been able to fire two magazines of ammo without a failure to feed or failure to eject. All from a sandbag rest and two handed grip, lest some suspect I am limp-wristing the poor thing. And I have 12 magazines, 10, 12 and 14 rounders, none of which seem to be much more reliable than any of the others.

I do like the gun. I've kept it and kept trying to get it working for some years now. It's light, of serious defensive caliber (9mm) and wonderfully concealable and would make a great pocket gun or BUG, if only I could get it running. Perhaps some of you who have had better experience with the P-11 can offer some advice.

To keep this in perspective, I do have an older gun. Newer ones are likely to have had some of the design and manufacturing kinks worked out. And a great many folks do like the gun and have had much better experience than I have had. Perhaps I just got a lemmon. In any case, most any gun will have people who have had good and bad experiences; those who will swear by it and those who will swear at it. The Kel-Tec is an inexpensive gun. Perhaps I'm just spoiled. I have a collection of SIG's that are all 2 or 3 times more expensive that go bang every time I pull the trigger. You get what you pay for.

TravisP

imported post

I love mine, had it since I was 21 got it on the day I got my carry license in the mail, 3 years ago. Carry every were I can legally. I use the 15 round mags due to my large grip, the ten rounder is a bit small. I have put about 1000rds of FMGs, 200rds hydro shock, and now I have been using 85gr +p+ frangible (500rds so far) that dose some nasty things to under ripe melons at he range, the only human analogs i can get my hands on it test with. I have had no issues, cycling or feeding, with it so far.

I also like the fact that it dose not have the 2nd shot disconnect like the PF-9 and there P-32at/ P-32 unit dose. SO if it misfires i can still try the fire it again with out having to rack the slide.

The best thing it fits in the profile of my hand, which lets me carry it in my front or back pocket or in the little change holder flap (i think that is what it is used for) in my jeans with no problems.

The only thing i have some issues with is its LONG long stroke - 12# trigger, but i guess it is better than blowing your leg off with a soft trigger - short stroke glock or something .

Dont get me wrong glocks are good guns too, i own 2 of them as well, 9mm and 40s&w but that trigger safety seems to be a little finicky to me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

FLShooter - Welcome, hope you enjoy and stay for a spell. Fine bunch of people here. Looking forward to Floridians getting the right to OC.

Not many seem to carry frangibles. Personally, I think that they are fantastic defensive loads for warm weather - not so good through heavy protective layers though.

I'm not familiar with a 15 round mag for the P11. Who makes it and is there a grip extender that "fits" it to the frame? A longer mag like this would effect printing I would think - a neg in Florida.

Yata hey

MontanaCZ

imported post

The P11 magazine is based on the S&W 59 series magazines.

I have had mine for 8 years or so. It has functioned perfectly since day one, and has about 1500 rounds through it now. Not something that you want to shoot a lot, but it does get out once in a while. I mostly use it for summer carry when I want to go some place and be discreet.

-MTCZ

soloban

imported post

I went to the range with a friend and he was trying out the different range guns for rent. He tried out the KelTec and loaded up a magazine, chambered the round and took aim and said "this thing won't shoot."

I said "Huh? Let me see it." I took aim and after a VERY LONG AND HEAVY trigger pull it went bang. If I recall it had a little bit of easy take up followed by a long heavy pull (12 lbs or so)

1. Its very concealable
2. From what I've heard it can be reliable after a fluff & buff with a dremel polish bob
3. Based on the trigger pull I wouldn't carry one.

If it were me, I'd carry a Kahr P9 (which I do), or get a Ruger LCP which is basically the same as the .380 Kel Tec but with a much lighter trigger pull.

t3rmin

imported post

The trigger pull is exactly how I want it. At least carrying "naked" with just the metal clip. I'm 100% confident I won't blow off my leg accidentally. Sans holster is significantly more concealable for me -- it's just on the edge of too thick already for easy concealment.

That said, my buddy also purchased a P11 recently and his trigger is three times heavier than mine. It's completely unusable. Also, I've got the trigger shoe installed, which helps. So I guess make sure it's set up to where you're comfortable with the safety aspect, but it's still tolerable for use.

Now if it was DA/SA and only the FIRST pull was that hard, THAT would be sweet. There's pretty much no double-tappin' with this gun.

TravisP

imported post

That is correct the 15 rds mag are for a S&w 59. I have had no issues using them and they only slightly extend from the bottom of the grip, about the same profile as putting the kel tec P11-045 Grip Extension, but holding +5 rds. Using the standard 10rd mag effectively is difficult for me, not enough grip area there and limp wristing becomes a issue. The s&w 59's give that little extra leverage needed.

Personally when i first got the p11 i was hesitant to carry it due to the trigger but over time and 1st 100drs or so i got accustomed to it and i have found the trigger pull to be beneficial. It trigger weight and stroke length helps to anchor my grip properly and steady the shot , also i tend to stage the trigger about 1/2- 3/4 stroke between shots.

With any luck, or rather very persistent citizen lobbying of the FL legislature, FL will reinstate our rights to OC, which we had what 20 or so years ago.

Michigander

imported post

I shot a Kel Tec yesterday. The trigger pull was so long and heavy that I couldn't really make any good groups with it. I guess that's fixable with practice, and suitable enough for a last ditch defensive gun, since you want to make sure you won't negligent discharge it, and it would probably be most likely to be used up close anyway.

With the small size and light weight, they are also entertainingly snappy with the recoil.

I would certainly use something bigger to open carry, but best as I can tell, for a last ditch CC gun, or perhaps as a primary CC gun when it's hot out, Kel Tec's are a good deal on a fist full of firepower.

superdemon

imported post

I have carried a P-11 for about ten years. I have never had a problem with mine. A lot of people who claim they have repeat problems out of any firearm are those who think they can open the box, load it, and go about their way. They don't bother to break it in, do routine cleaning and maintainence, then they claim they have a POS gun.

I am not saying anyone on this thread is one of those people, but it does happen.

curtm1911

imported post

I have a P-11 and love it. Bought it new, ran a 100+ rounds through it and not one stoppage for any reason. My trigger pull is actually quite nice,, smooth, yes, long but not horribly heavy and no machining marks anywhere on it. It is generally my BUG, but sometimes it is my primary, and I feel confident with it too. It is not a tackdriver, not intended to be. It does the job it was made to do, small, very concealable, and a potent round for self defense. Just picked up another 12 rounder for it so now it is 2-12 rounders and the 10 rounderit came with, WOOHOO..............

superdemon

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
I have a P-11 and love it. Bought it new, ran a 100+ rounds through it and not one stoppage for any reason. My trigger pull is actually quite nice,, smooth, yes, long but not horribly heavy and no machining marks anywhere on it. It is generally my BUG, but sometimes it is my primary, and I feel confident with it too. It is not a tackdriver, not intended to be. It does the job it was made to do, small, very concealable, and a potent round for self defense.

Good point.

Some folks will by a gun like this and think they should be putting round after round in the same target hole at 25 yards. That's not what this type of gun is for.

As a matter of fact, I am going to have the sights taken off mine, and a sight groove cut into the top of the slide. If I am taking a shot with the KT, it is definately not going to be an aimed shot.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

superdemon wrote:
Some folks will by a gun like this and think they should be putting round after round in the same target hole at 25 yards. That's not what this type of gun is for.

As a matter of fact, I am going to have the sights taken off mine, and a sight groove cut into the top of the slide. If I am taking a shot with the KT, it is definately not going to be an aimed shot.
IMO - not a good idea. Always ask what could go against you in modifying a weapon. Imagine the prosecutor suggesting that you could not even aim your weapon accurately because you "removed the sights" - a reckless act perhaps?
Sort of like pinning the grip safety on a 1911.

I do agree thoroughly with your assessment of the P-11. The diminative package does yeoman's duty day in and day out. Good buy too.

Yata hey

superdemon

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
superdemon wrote:

IMO - not a good idea. Always ask what could go against you in modifying a weapon. Imagine the prosecutor suggesting that you could not even aim your weapon accurately because you "removed the sights" - a reckless act perhaps?
Sort of like pinning the grip safety on a 1911.

I do agree thoroughly with your assessment of the P-11. The diminative package does yeoman's duty day in and day out. Good buy too.

Yata hey
I haven'tsighted a pistol shot since I graduated the academy 10 years ago.

And point shooting is "aiming", it just uses different reference points than the sights. If I was asked that question on the stand, I would say that, yes, indeed I aimed the shot, just not with the sights.

Even during my twice annual agency qualifications, I point shoot, and I point shoot during our F.A.T.S. qualifications. It drives our range instuctors insane when they ask me if I want to charge my night sights before a night qualification, and I say, "Nope, aint gonna use them."

Sights on a pistol are a crutch, and I liken them to the old, old school emphasis on cops not letting their empty shells hit the ground when reloading a revolver. Many, many cops were found dead with either empty shells in their hands, or one hand in their pocket, trying to stow the empty brass...IN THE MIDDLE OF A GUNFIGHT! It was drilled into their heads for "discipline", but all it did was make them robots.

Sights are the same way. If you have time to sight one shot, you have time to point shoot twice, as long as you have trained, trained, and trained on it.