Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: MY EXPERIENCE HERE

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    152

    Post imported post



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Heber, Utah, USA
    Posts
    173

    Post imported post

    brokenarrows wrote:
    SAD! I am sad to say that my recent experience on the website, http://www.opencarry.org has left me scratching my head. I support the 2nd amendment and the right to bear arms. Sadly I think many of these persons that currently advocate open carry of firearms on this website are really out to get attention for themselves and have confrontations with police.
    I have read many post that advocate open carry onto private property areas such as malls even with knowledge of sign requesting no weapons. Other posts advocate attempts to befuddle police or to try to get grounds for illegal search lawsuits, and civil rights violations.

    I know many officers and I have asked them questions regarding open carry. I have found that the subject simply is not covered in the training. I also believe that the open carry movement is young and growing, LEO's will learn that they need to know these laws now, but in previous times they never were confronted with the issues.

    Sure open carry is a second amendment right. I don't want this restricted in any way. I don't think this 2nd amendment right supersedes the responsibility to be good citizens first.

    In the mean time please remove my membership from your website.
    I trust and pray that this is the work of a small minority here. I have been invited to leave by one member, and harassed via pm by another. (this included 3 request by me for it to stop.)

    He even had the nerve to ask me what I was gonna do about it.

    Thank you
    BROKENARROWS

    also sent to
    jpierce via PM
    BROKENARROWS,

    I am sorry you feel this way about this site. I am someone who is new to posting on this site, however, I have been regularly reading this site for the last 8 or 9 months. I will agree with you that there are a few misguided individuals posting on this site. Most of the people on this site are very honest and respectful people. With that being said I am sorry that the actions of a few have left a bad taste in your mouth.

    In my opinion I believe that the OC laws on private property as they stand now are acceptable. I believe that asa property owner you have the right to decided what you will or will not allow on your property. Without such laws there could be no private property only "community" property. I personally don't get offended if someone asks me to leave "THEIR" property because I am choosing to carry a gun. I will respectfully leave.

    The site as of late has gotten awayfromthe true reason this site was created and in my opinion it is a shame. Frankly, I am embarrassed that there are members on this site who feel they are "responsible" enough to carry a gun but must go around threatening people who don't share their exactsame views. We have all joined this site because we have something in common, an interest in OC. By threatening our own members it is ultimately going to damage our cause.

    Sincerely,

    AINOKEA

  3. #3
    Regular Member Mainsail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,532

    Post imported post

    brokenarrows wrote:
    Sadly I think many of these persons that currently advocate open carry of firearms on this website are really out to get attention for themselves and have confrontations with police.
    To begin, it’s silly to attempt to paint everyone with such a broad brush. You cannot know the reasons why many of us OC unless you ask many of us and we all answer. The simple fact is that, like any other group of people, we are all different; we all have different beliefs, experiences, and motivations.

    I know many officers and I have asked them questions regarding open carry. I have found that the subject simply is not covered in the training.
    They are not being honest with you. Every police-training program has extensive instruction on what is required to seize a citizen. The rules of Terry stops are always covered and terms like ‘reasonable articulable suspicion’, ‘search and seizure’, ‘probable cause’, and ‘arrest’ are well known to all police officers when they leave the academy. Unfortunately, many officers rely on the public’s lack of knowledge of their rights as a tactic to use against them. The fact that open carry isn’t specifically covered in their training is moot; if they don’t know that something is illegal, they have no business detaining anyone for doing that something. It doesn’t matter whether it’s the open carry of a firearm or the preaching of the Muslim faith; unless they have a reasonable belief -that they can articulate- of a crime afoot, they have no business detaining a citizen for doing so. If they insist on seizing someone for open carry, it’s either because of some personal bias towards armed citizens, or an improper (or illegal) departmental policy.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UT, ,
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    brokenarrows wrote:
    SAD! I am sad to say that my recent experience on the website, http://www.opencarry.org has left me scratching my head. I support the 2nd amendment and the right to bear arms....

    ...Sure open carry is a second amendment right. I don't want this restricted in any way. I don't think this 2nd amendment right supersedes the responsibility to be good citizens first.

    In the mean time please remove my membership from your website.
    I trust and pray that this is the work of a small minority here. I have been invited to leave by one member, and harassed via pm by another. (this included 3 request by me for it to stop.)
    In the mean time? Just stop posting and leave yourself.

    If you are in support of the second amendment, as you claim, I'm sure you are familiar with the amendment that provides everyone here with freedom of speech. I haven't found any posts where individuals here are advocating breaking laws; on the contrary we are discussing our RIGHTS provided under the constitution and its amendments. We are discussing what is LEGAL not advocating things that are ILLEGAL.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Utah_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kearns, Utah, USA
    Posts
    717

    Post imported post

    I ask the question a few bad people and your gone. You say people are doing this to draw attention but on the other hand since this group became active Open Carry has become more acceptable around the public and leo's. It has been a good thing that people are standing up for their rights. So when you leave may I recomend you find another site thats agrees with your every whim and never disagrees
    Zach
    8014487574
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,221

    Post imported post

    gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    ... I recomend you find another site thats agrees with your every whim and never disagrees
    Im not even sure if this dudes problem is the fact that ppl disagree with him. IMO: his issues stem from the fact that he only comments on his OWN statements and doesn't really address how others respond to him, except the negative. Never valid statements or questions.

    There is something to be said about someone who can ONLY see their point, and no one else's.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Heber, Utah, USA
    Posts
    173

    Post imported post

    ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
    gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    ... I recomend you find another site thats agrees with your every whim and never disagrees
    Im not even sure if this dudes problem is the fact that ppl disagree with him. IMO: his issues stem from the fact that he only comments on his OWN statements and doesn't really address how others respond to him, except the negative. Never valid statements or questions.

    There is something to be said about someone who can ONLY see their point, and no one else's.
    I believe his issue with the site was that someone or a few people threatened him by PM based on some of his posts in the Public Form that someone didn't agree with. Personally, I think that if someone needs to threaten someone base on comments posted on this form it just shows how immature they really are. On the flip side if you are going to let a few "bad apples" quiet your opinions then their threats have worked and you have been silenced.

    I am a firm believer in standing up for what you beleive in and to also respect what others believe in even if you do not agree with them at all.

  8. #8
    Regular Member ChinChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    683

    Post imported post

    brokenarrows wrote:
    Sadly I think many of these persons that currently advocate open carry of firearms on this website are really out to get attention for themselves and have confrontations with police.
    As opposed to your seeking attention for yourself in crafting aOCDO membership "fare thee well" grand announcement rather than just leaving without making a scene?
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when youre serious and when youre being sarcastic. Abraham Lincoln

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UT, ,
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    ainokea wrote:
    ...Iam a firm believer in standing up for what you beleive in and to also respect what others believe in even if you do not agree with them at all.
    Ditto!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,221

    Post imported post

    ainokea wrote:
    ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
    gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    ... I recomend you find another site thats agrees with your every whim and never disagrees
    Im not even sure if this dudes problem is the fact that ppl disagree with him. IMO: his issues stem from the fact that he only comments on his OWN statements and doesn't really address how others respond to him, except the negative. Never valid statements or questions.

    There is something to be said about someone who can ONLY see their point, and no one else's.
    ....r a few people threatened him by PM based on some of his posts...
    Unacceptable.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    431

    Post imported post

    ainokea wrote:
    ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
    gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    ... I recomend you find another site thats agrees with your every whim and never disagrees
    Im not even sure if this dudes problem is the fact that ppl disagree with him. IMO: his issues stem from the fact that he only comments on his OWN statements and doesn't really address how others respond to him, except the negative. Never valid statements or questions.

    There is something to be said about someone who can ONLY see their point, and no one else's.
    I believe his issue with the site was that someone or a few people threatened him by PM based on some of his posts in the Public Form that someone didn't agree with. Personally, I think that if someone needs to threaten someone base on comments posted on this form it just shows how immature they really are. On the flip side if you are going to let a few "bad apples" quiet your opinions then their threats have worked and you have been silenced.

    I am a firm believer in standing up for what you beleive in and to also respect what others believe in even if you do not agree with them at all.
    Do you have PROOF that he was threatened in PM's?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Heber, Utah, USA
    Posts
    173

    Post imported post

    xRapidDavex wrote:
    Do you have PROOF that he was threatened in PM's?
    No, I don't have proof he was threatend. I may be wrong after I read his post again he says he was "harassed via pm by another." It doesn't say "threatened". If this is correct I appologize for the oversight on my part for making things appear worse.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Utah, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    Based on my experience with this member at UCC, and from what I've read here, I believe that he was nothing more than a troll, trying to stir up hate and discontent. I think that we can safely ignore him.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    Jeff Johnson wrote:
    Based on my experience with this member at UCC, and from what I've read here, I believe that he was nothing more than a troll, trying to stir up hate and discontent. I think that we can safely ignore him.
    I just went back over every single thread that Brokenarrow posted in. He removed most of his posts. The ones that he left were ambiguous. The ones that I found quoted (he couldn't remove those) were mostly very supportive of Police violating OCer rights, and overall very negative to OC in general.

    Definitely a verytenacious troll.

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Decoligny wrote:
    Definitely a verytenacious troll.
    (Not to argue with you. I'm just using it as an opportunity to express myself.)

    I'm not convinced he was a troll.

    Certainly he had an abrasive effect.

    But, I strongly suspect he was just what he said he was. A 2A supporter who was concerned that we were gonna screw itup for him.

    I think if we had handled ourselves differently we could have allayed his concerns and possibly gained an ally or even a new member.

    You have to realize there are A LOT of people out there who think the police are saints and can do no wrong. And who think with their prior opinions rather than compare a situation to the law. Hell, many, many, many people just don't know the fine points of 4th Amendment case law on detentions, reasonable suspicion, etc. If they don't know the exact points of the law,what are they going to use for comparision? Their prior opinions, of course. Similar could be said about people knowing their rights in general.

    It angers me that some on this forum pounce andarguerather than patiently educateand discuss. It drives off potential friends. And makes us look bad.

    Even an antagonistic CCW-only person deserves patient, respectful discussion.If he remains hostile to OC anddeparts the forum,so what? What have you lost?

    If you can't treat these people with courtesy and respect, please don't reply at all. Those of us working to educate people on OC and win converts would really appreciate it.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    431

    Post imported post

    Citizen, I think you should check out this thread:

    http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/fo...t=brokenarrows

    I suggest reading the whole thread since it is only 3 pages long.

  17. #17
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,441

    Post imported post

    Hmmm.

    This guy sounds like the same "brokenarrow" that started trolling PAFOA forum:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...tml#post366799
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...tml#post380505


  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Utah, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    Trolls are a real fact of life in online forums.
    Some of them hope to so disrupt the site as to reduce its effectiveness.
    You'd better believe that this happens on pro-gun forums.
    I believe that this is one of the things that ultimately took down PDO.

    One of the moderators jobs is to watch out for and weed out real trolls.
    "brokenarrow" didn't last a day over at UCC.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murray, ,
    Posts
    99

    Post imported post

    Easy for folks to cast the blame and point out others faults when, from what I've seen, several folks get all up in arms when someone disagrees with them and yet you talk down to someone who does the same. I know for a fact that a couple new members here have received harassing and threatening PM's since I know them IRL.

    Sure it's nice to live in your cushy little closed off world where nobody has a differing opinion and God forbid someone comes on here with something that may provoke thought. I've actually seen a couple of posts of people complaining about threads that are provoking independent thought. While I agree with everything this forum stands for, I don't agree with the brainless regurgitation of others ideas on the subject. Take a step back and think for yourself, it's because of people being sheep and blindly accepting opinion without investigating it on their own that this forum even has to exist.



  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Layton, Utah, ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    Agree 100 % w/ brokenarrows

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    91

    Post imported post

    DITTO

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    268

    Post imported post


  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    152

    Post imported post

    xRapidDavex wrote:
    ainokea wrote:
    ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
    gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    ... I recomend you find another site thats agrees with your every whim and never disagrees
    Im not even sure if this dudes problem is the fact that ppl disagree with him. IMO: his issues stem from the fact that he only comments on his OWN statements and doesn't really address how others respond to him, except the negative. Never valid statements or questions.

    There is something to be said about someone who can ONLY see their point, and no one else's.
    I believe his issue with the site was that someone or a few people threatened him by PM based on some of his posts in the Public Form that someone didn't agree with. Personally, I think that if someone needs to threaten someone base on comments posted on this form it just shows how immature they really are. On the flip side if you are going to let a few "bad apples" quiet your opinions then their threats have worked and you have been silenced.

    I am a firm believer in standing up for what you beleive in and to also respect what others believe in even if you do not agree with them at all.
    Do you have PROOF that he was threatened in PM's?
    do you really want to see the proof?
    one or more of your buddies may be ashamed if exposed in public. Really think about it.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    152

    Post imported post



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •