• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Living in an apartment complex and OCing

zakst1

imported post

I have been debating this topic. I live in an apartment complex and have OCed a few times, but when I walk out the door I have had the fear that I may be hindering my personal security because I am making it known that I have guns and when I go to work they can't come with me. (government employee) Also, (in paranoia) I am concerned about relations between myself and the apartment complex staff and residents.

Does anyone here who may live in an apartment share this concern?

Thoughts/opinions?

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I have thought about this recently, though I don't live in an appartment. I'm thinking, in theory, the appts. would be considered private property, therefore the owners of said property could kick someone out who has a gun there... Then again, you've got the right to protect yourself in your place of dwelling right?

I've also thought about the point that "what if the neighbors see my gun and try to rob my place when I'm gone?". This is something to seriously consider. I have the same worry, since my carry gun isn't my only gun. I actually have a new M4 rifle being delivered in a couple days. I paid a LOT of money for this new rifle and realy don't want anyone to break in and get it when I'm gone, just because they see me with my sidearm. I'm not in the same situation as you (appartment), but it's still a consideration.

Maybe, if you're going out carrying, you should conceal until you're away from your appts. That is unless you don't have a CPL...

Just a few thoughts, hope this is helpful. :D

Bear 45/70

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
I have thought about this recently, though I don't live in an appartment. I'm thinking, in theory, the appts. would be considered private property, therefore the owners of said property could kick someone out who has a gun there... Then again, you've got the right to protect yourself in your place of dwelling right?

I've also thought about the point that "what if the neighbors see my gun and try to rob my place when I'm gone?". This is something to seriously consider. I have the same worry, since my carry gun isn't my only gun. I actually have a new M4 rifle being delivered in a couple days. I paid a LOT of money for this new rifle and realy don't want anyone to break in and get it when I'm gone, just because they see me with my sidearm. I'm not in the same situation as you (appartment), but it's still a consideration.

Maybe, if you're going out carrying, you should conceal until you're away from your appts. That is unless you don't have a CPL...

Just a few thoughts, hope this is helpful. :D
Incorrect, When you rent property that property in effect becomes your abode (home)and you have all the rights there that a home owner does. It is when going in and out of the building outside of your apartment that the property owner can say nay to the OC. Unless someone complains, this is not likely to happen as the owner won't know.

krazichinaman

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:

:D
Incorrect, When you rent property that property in effect becomes your abode (home)and you have all the rights there that a home owner does. It is when going in and out of the building outside of your apartment that the property owner can say nay to the OC. Unless someone complains, this is not likely to happen as the owner won't know.
If I remember correctly, If you are renting from a private party they can really say/do whatever they want. Since this is private property, the constitution does not apply to you. The constitutional rightsonly apply for Gov to people, not people to people.

I took a criminal justice class a few year back and we talked about this very subject. Except when we talked about it in class, we wererefering to race and sexual orientation.By signing the lease you are essetially "forking over your rights" to abide by all their rules. I'm almost 100% sure that this holds true. I'll see if I can find my notes from the class.

j2l3

imported post

If I remember correctly, If you are renting from a private party they can really say/do whatever they want. Since this is private property, the constitution does not apply to you. The constitutional rightsonly apply for Gov to people, not people to people.

I took a criminal justice class a few year back and we talked about this very subject. Except when we talked about it in class, we wererefering to race and sexual orientation.By signing the lease you are essetially "forking over your rights" to abide by all their rules. I'm almost 100% sure that this holds true. I'll see if I can find my notes from the class.
This will possibly hold true IF the conditions are written into the lease. If not, the landlord cannot come by later and tell you that you cannot do something that is otherwise a legal activity.

Patch

imported post

I am the service manager at a local apartment community. Two weeks ago while at our bi annual corporate meeting in San Fransisco I brought this topic up.

What i was told is that the company cannot tell someone they can or cannot have a firearm in thier apartment. Alot of "private" owned places can and will try to limit what people can and cannot own such as weapons, and if it is written into the lease and the resident sign it they are agreeing to that policy and could be asked to leave if violated.

I went further and broached the subject of OC and then the fireworks began!

It started with everyone stating that it was unlawful to OC. Now, most of those in attendance were from our CA area properties and thier feelings on guns in general were pretyy far out there. When I brought up how OC was legal in WA I was quickly told I was wrong, end of story.Corporate laptops rock! I quickly pulled up OC.org and found the appropriate links and printed them out and then directed our regional VP to the pertinant information. Well, our company firmly believe in adhearing to the laws of the areas where are properties are located and as of now, all 4 of our WA properties recognize the right to OC and will not summon law enforcement for someone peacfully and responsiablly excersing thier rights under WA State law. That does not mean however, that some stupid resident would not summon LEO.

All in all a job well done in my opinion!

:lol:

SlacK

imported post

i've been cleaning my apartment out all day, and since it's a lot of hot and sweaty work, i decided not to put a cover garment on. So i've been ocing all day long all around my apartment complex area. I've spoken to the apartment manager several times today, and i've had a few shoppers come through my apartment to see if
they want to rent it. No one has said a single word about it. So it seems ok to me.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Bear, don't be so quick to say "incorrect", as you can see the last sentence of my first paragraph. I was not making any statements. I was clearly posing this as a question...

Bear 45/70

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
Bear, don't be so quick to say "incorrect", as you can see the last sentence of my first paragraph. I was not making any statements. I was clearly posing this as a question...
Supposition is the enemy of the truth. Supposition is an opinion, he wants facts.

DEROS72

imported post

SlacK wrote:
i've been cleaning my apartment out all day, and since it's a lot of hot and sweaty work, i decided not to put a cover garment on. So i've been ocing all day long all around my apartment complex area. I've spoken to the apartment manager several times today, and i've had a few shoppers come through my apartment to see if
they want to rent it. No one has said a single word about it. So it seems ok to me.
I live in a complex in Seatac.Love my apt.Being retired nice 1 bedroom over the pool is all I need.I have in fact talked with the two gals that manage the place and they thought the fact I carried was cool.One of them said she was brought up around firearms and had no problem with it. They are really trying to rid us of some of these people.Somewhat rough neighborhood I.I here gang bangers talkabout getting out of prison.Overheard guys talking about ditching warrants etc.I don,t know why they let these scum bags in here .They do background checks ???? .If they come up gang related or ex con they should never be allowed to rent.Anyway should have checked the place out a little closer.Its a nice place but there should be standards in the kind of people they let in. Guess I am used nti the Country club house I had In Palm Springs That my ex now has along with my ex money.I see more burkaas etc and no one speaks english around me.Some days I feel I am in some third world country.ANYWAY Day like to day I have OCed all day .on the bus ,All through the Seatac Commons,in Target, radio schack.(Bought voice recorder,Couldn,t find one with reels). Stopped for groceries at safeway ..I hardly got a second look No one asked about it ..nothing.But that is the point is it not?Good decent Americans carrying a firearm "NO BIG DEAL".Some times when I leave the apt/And there are a lot of kids around I will cover up untill I get off property.

zakst1

imported post

I just got home from work and have been able to read the responses. Thanks for all the input. I have read word-for-word my lease agreement, which does not mention once anything about firearms or the storage of ammunition. I have noticed some very curious looks from my neighbors when taking out my dogs while OCing. I have never had the police called on me. Never any verbal communication, just stares. I am still in the breaking out stage of OC.

Maybe I should call the Attorney Generals office on the legality of OC and renting an apartment?

gsx1138

imported post

zakst1 wrote:
I just got home from work and have been able to read the responses. Thanks for all the input. I have read word-for-word my lease agreement, which does not mention once anything about firearms or the storage of ammunition. I have noticed some very curious looks from my neighbors when taking out my dogs while OCing. I have never had the police called on me. Never any verbal communication, just stares. I am still in the breaking out stage of OC.

Maybe I should call the Attorney Generals office on the legality of OC and renting an apartment?

Off topic. You get your AK fixed? Finally took mine to the KRRC the other day only to find they were getting ready for the big match this weekend. So I still have a new AK that's been sitting in my closet for a month. I should be out here tomorrow. Marcus tried talking me into competing but I'll have to think if I really want to embarass myself or not.

Bear 45/70

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
zakst1 wrote:

Off topic. You get your AK fixed? Finally took mine to the KRRC the other day only to find they were getting ready for the big match this weekend. So I still have a new AK that's been sitting in my closet for a month. I should be out here tomorrow. Marcus tried talking me into competing but I'll have to think if I really want to embarass myself or not.
PM me with what's wrong with the AKor what its not doing and maybe I can help.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Patch wrote:
I am the service manager at a local apartment community. Two weeks ago while at our bi annual corporate meeting in San Fransisco I brought this topic up.

What i was told is that the company cannot tell someone they can or cannot have a firearm in thier apartment. Alot of "private" owned places can and will try to limit what people can and cannot own such as weapons, and if it is written into the lease and the resident sign it they are agreeing to that policy and could be asked to leave if violated.

I went further and broached the subject of OC and then the fireworks began!

It started with everyone stating that it was unlawful to OC. Now, most of those in attendance were from our CA area properties and thier feelings on guns in general were pretyy far out there. When I brought up how OC was legal in WA I was quickly told I was wrong, end of story.Corporate laptops rock! I quickly pulled up OC.org and found the appropriate links and printed them out and then directed our regional VP to the pertinant information. Well, our company firmly believe in adhearing to the laws of the areas where are properties are located and as of now, all 4 of our WA properties recognize the right to OC and will not summon law enforcement for someone peacfully and responsiablly excersing thier rights under WA State law. That does not mean however, that some stupid resident would not summon LEO.

All in all a job well done in my opinion!

:lol:
+1 This is how I think we eventually win this thing. Individuals each doing their part to ensure the law is followed and to help change the law where it is in opposition to our 2A guaranteed rights. Good work!

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:
Supposition is the enemy of the truth. Supposition is an opinion, he wants facts.
That's why I posed it as a question, because I knew that someone other than me, here, could probably answer better. Damn, you are judgemental, Bear. Grumpy just a little?

Bear 45/70

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:
That's why I posed it as a question, because I knew that someone other than me, here, could probably answer better. Damn, you are judgemental, Bear. Grumpy just a little?
The guy asked a question and wanted an answer, not another question. So instead of helping the with an answer, you muddy the water further.

Bear 45/70

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
OK, sorry Bear, you're right as always. I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on and wait for you're answers on everything.
Once again you just don't get it. It's not about right and wrong. Its about you get your opinion and I get mine and if they agree that's fine, but if they don't agree that also is fine.
rolleyes.gif