Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where DON'T you carry?

Post imported post

I've read where folks like to OC....is there anywhere where you choose or refuse to carry? Obviously aside from locations where it's illegal to carry.

Post imported post

Family functions.

We have so many children in our family and extended family. Whenever we get together to hang out - I always seem to lock my sidearm in the truck along with my holster. Too many children (young). I foresee many Questions and curious, grab-y (sticky) hands.

Post imported post

At work. Secure area, BIG no no.

If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Post imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
    Family functions.

We have so many children in our family and extended family. Whenever we get together to hang out - I always seem to lock my sidearm in the truck along with my holster. Too many children (young). I foresee many Questions and curious, grab-y (sticky) hands.
    THAT's where I WOULD OC .

"-Why are you carryin' a gun here, now ?"

"-There are so many young'uns here. Need to be able to protect them IF somethin' was to go down"

TJ

Post imported post

I carry everywhere except federal buildings, Post Office you know the places where the goverment says I can't
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
    Family functions.

THAT's where I WOULD OC .

"-Why are you carryin' a gun here, now ?"

"-There are so many young'uns here. Need to be able to protect them IF somethin' was to go down"

TJ
    C'mon TJ, you know i still got the Mossberg slung on me though. Lol JK!!!

Post imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    I carry everywhere except federal buildings, Post Office you know the places where the goverment says I can't
    You can't go in the post office? I guess that is a "federal building". I never put that together till now. doh!

:shock:

State Researcher

Post imported post

GenkiSudo wrote:
    I've read where folks like to OC....is there anywhere where you choose or refuse to carry? Obviously aside from locations where it's illegal to carry.
    I don't OC (or carry at all) in places where it is illegal, or would get me fired. I gotta eat.

Unlike some (on both sides) it seems, I tend to be very flexible about HOW I carry. I will OC when I think it is more comfortable, on those rare ocassions when I want to make a political statement (voting for example), or when, for whatever reason, one of my full size or hand cannons is the appropriate gun to carry, etc.

I will casually conceal carry whenever the weather requires a jacket. I simply make no over attempt to drop a holster down below what my jacket is likely to cover. Nor do I usually make efforts to keep the gun hidden (tuckable holsters or the like).

Now, there are some times when I will specifically conceal carry.
    1-At certain social functions where a visible gun simply is going to be a distraction: most wedding receptions, funerals, etc.
    2-When my activities would place the gun at risk of damage (snow skiing, snowmobiling) and my clothing will offer greater protection for it.
    3-When I am doing something that requires I not be distracted by others making an issue of my gun. Accompanying (as opposed to simply visiting) someone in the local hospitals in such a case. It is legal, I COULD make an issue of it if they pushed, but at the end of the day, if I am helping a loved one who is in the hospital, the focus needs to be on him/her, NOT on me or my gun.
    4-On those days when I decide that one of my pocket guns is simply more comfortable, and still adequate to carry, rather than one of my mid or full sized firearms.
    5-Any other time when, for whatever reason, I figure being discrete is the way to go.

Between a couple of pocket/mouse guns, smartcarry, and other discrete holsters it is easy enough to be very discrete when I want or need to be.

With a decent OWB holster I OC (or Casually conceal) whenever that options suites.

I figure the import thing is TO CARRY, not HOW I carry on any given day.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    gunsfreak4791 wrote:
    You can't go in the post office? I guess that is a "federal building". I never put that together till now. doh!

I hope that doesn't mean you carried in a post office.

Look, anyone that has not done so yet, buy a copy of Mitch Vilos' book, Utah Gun Laws. Read it, then read it again. If you are carrying without full and complete knowledge of the law, then you could wind up in jail.

EVERYONE here should know exactly where they can not carry. Remember, ignorance of the law is no excuse.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    gunsfreak4791 wrote:

Look, anyone that has not done so yet, buy a copy of Mitch Vilos' book, Utah Gun Laws. Read it, then read it again. If you are carrying without full and complete knowledge of the law, then you could wind up in jail.

EVERYONE here should know exactly where they can not carry. Remember, ignorance of the law is no excuse.
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna go pick that book up. I never carried in a post office yet, so I guess I got lucky this time.

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    gunsfreak4791 wrote:

Remember, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Unless you are a LEO of course.

TJ

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    gunsfreak4791 wrote:

Ya.... might I recommend: Utah Gun Law 3rd Edition ??

Edit: SGT Jensen beat me to the punch. At least my advice is sound

Centurion

Post imported post

Last week my family--- about 120 in total spent 3 days together at Ruby's Inn just north of Bryce Canyon National Park. I OC'd for the entire time I was there EXCEPT for the Helicopter tour of the park. I never placed a foot on the ground in the park.

During the 3 days only one individual even mentioned the gun on my hip and that was after this uncle had been listening to a conversation about firearms and OC'ing with a Brother-in-Law for about 20 mins BEFORE he noticed the gun.

Then on Sunday night at my parents home my sister noticed the gun and said "Whoa, that is a gun!" In response I asked her if she was bothered by the gun and she said "No, I just hadn't noticed it before. I told her that it had been there for the entire reunion. Appearantly, she had never seen it even tho her husband and I had gone shooting twice during the 3 days.

Overall, 3+ days with friends and family with over 120 in attendance and not a single negative comment. All while wearing various t-shirts and a hat purchased from Gun Owners of America (life member).

Just my report....

JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Post imported post

utbagpiper wrote:

I figure the import thing is TO CARRY, not HOW I carry on any given day.

Charles
    Bingo

Post imported post

Right now, unless I have some reason to go somewhere else, the only place I go to that I don't carry is Camp Williams, and HQ in Draper.

But normally, I wouldn't carry at work, and any place it was illegal.

Post imported post

Post imported post

pitythefools wrote:
    I am new here....
    Welcome, Welcome!!! :celebrate

Post imported post

hey thx

Post imported post

GenkiSudo wrote:
    I don't like to OC in heavily crowded places where it is difficult to impossible to enjoy myself and maintain the extreme situational awareness required. I'll just CC instead. I also wouldn't OC to a more formal type dinner/banquet, a theater production or certain business functions. Basically, if it is appropriate for me to wear a tie, I'll typically CC.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

HI!

Post imported post

pitythefools wrote:
    I am new here, what areas are restricted to open carry?
    where can I find the laws regarding this?
    Anywhere you can legally carry you can OC in utah.

Post imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
    pitythefools wrote:
    I am new here, what areas are restricted to open carry?
    where can I find the laws regarding this?
    Anywhere you can legally carry you can OC in utah.
    very informative

Post imported post

Pitythefools, check your PM's.

Post imported post

GenkiSudo wrote:

In kalifornia, where I am now.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

Generally I OC. But there are times that I CC, even when I could get away with OC'ing. It depends on the situation.

As an example, a lady in our county wanted to start a hiking group. The kickoff meeting was a few weeks ago at a coffee shop. I decided not to OC, because I didn't want to freak her out. So I CC'd. I may start OC'ing once she starts to know me better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast