• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where DON'T you carry?

GenkiSudo

imported post

I've read where folks like to OC....is there anywhere where you choose or refuse to carry? Obviously aside from locations where it's illegal to carry.

scorpioajr

imported post

Family functions.

We have so many children in our family and extended family. Whenever we get together to hang out - I always seem to lock my sidearm in the truck along with my holster. Too many children (young). I foresee many Questions and curious, grab-y (sticky) hands. :lol:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
Family functions.

We have so many children in our family and extended family. Whenever we get together to hang out - I always seem to lock my sidearm in the truck along with my holster. Too many children (young). I foresee many Questions and curious, grab-y (sticky) hands. :lol:

THAT's where I WOULD OC :lol:.

"-Why are you carryin' a gun here, now ?"

"-There are so many young'uns here. Need to be able to protect them IF somethin' was to go down"

TJ

scorpioajr

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
Family functions.

THAT's where I WOULD OC :lol:.

"-Why are you carryin' a gun here, now ?"

"-There are so many young'uns here. Need to be able to protect them IF somethin' was to go down"

TJ

C'mon TJ, you know i still got the Mossberg slung on me though. Lol JK!!!

LovesHisXD45

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
I carry everywhere except federal buildings, Post Office you know the places where the goverment says I can't

You can't go in the post office? I guess that is a "federal building". I never put that together till now. doh!

:shock:

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

GenkiSudo wrote:
I've read where folks like to OC....is there anywhere where you choose or refuse to carry? Obviously aside from locations where it's illegal to carry.
I don't OC (or carry at all) in places where it is illegal, or would get me fired. I gotta eat.

Unlike some (on both sides) it seems, I tend to be very flexible about HOW I carry. I will OC when I think it is more comfortable, on those rare ocassions when I want to make a political statement (voting for example), or when, for whatever reason, one of my full size or hand cannons is the appropriate gun to carry, etc.

I will casually conceal carry whenever the weather requires a jacket. I simply make no over attempt to drop a holster down below what my jacket is likely to cover. Nor do I usually make efforts to keep the gun hidden (tuckable holsters or the like).

Now, there are some times when I will specifically conceal carry.
1-At certain social functions where a visible gun simply is going to be a distraction: most wedding receptions, funerals, etc.
2-When my activities would place the gun at risk of damage (snow skiing, snowmobiling) and my clothing will offer greater protection for it.
3-When I am doing something that requires I not be distracted by others making an issue of my gun. Accompanying (as opposed to simply visiting) someone in the local hospitals in such a case. It is legal, I COULD make an issue of it if they pushed, but at the end of the day, if I am helping a loved one who is in the hospital, the focus needs to be on him/her, NOT on me or my gun.
4-On those days when I decide that one of my pocket guns is simply more comfortable, and still adequate to carry, rather than one of my mid or full sized firearms.
5-Any other time when, for whatever reason, I figure being discrete is the way to go.

Between a couple of pocket/mouse guns, smartcarry, and other discrete holsters it is easy enough to be very discrete when I want or need to be.

With a decent OWB holster I OC (or Casually conceal) whenever that options suites.

I figure the import thing is TO CARRY, not HOW I carry on any given day.

Charles

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
gunsfreak4791 wrote:
I carry everywhere except federal buildings, Post Office you know the places where the goverment says I can't

You can't go in the post office? I guess that is a "federal building". I never put that together till now. doh!

I hope that doesn't mean you carried in a post office.

Look, anyone that has not done so yet, buy a copy of Mitch Vilos' book, Utah Gun Laws. Read it, then read it again. If you are carrying without full and complete knowledge of the law, then you could wind up in jail.

EVERYONE here should know exactly where they can not carry. Remember, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
gunsfreak4791 wrote:

Look, anyone that has not done so yet, buy a copy of Mitch Vilos' book, Utah Gun Laws. Read it, then read it again. If you are carrying without full and complete knowledge of the law, then you could wind up in jail.

EVERYONE here should know exactly where they can not carry. Remember, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go pick that book up. :) I never carried in a post office yet, so I guess I got lucky this time.

:uhoh:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
gunsfreak4791 wrote:

Remember, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Unless you are a LEO of course.

TJ

xRapidDavex

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
gunsfreak4791 wrote:

Ya.... might I recommend: Utah Gun Law 3rd Edition ??

Edit: SGT Jensen beat me to the punch. At least my advice is sound :)

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Last week my family--- about 120 in total spent 3 days together at Ruby's Inn just north of Bryce Canyon National Park. I OC'd for the entire time I was there EXCEPT for the Helicopter tour of the park. I never placed a foot on the ground in the park.

During the 3 days only one individual even mentioned the gun on my hip and that was after this uncle had been listening to a conversation about firearms and OC'ing with a Brother-in-Law for about 20 mins BEFORE he noticed the gun.

Then on Sunday night at my parents home my sister noticed the gun and said "Whoa, that is a gun!" In response I asked her if she was bothered by the gun and she said "No, I just hadn't noticed it before. I told her that it had been there for the entire reunion. Appearantly, she had never seen it even tho her husband and I had gone shooting twice during the 3 days.

Overall, 3+ days with friends and family with over 120 in attendance and not a single negative comment. All while wearing various t-shirts and a hat purchased from Gun Owners of America (life member).

Just my report....

JoeSparky

thx997303

imported post

Right now, unless I have some reason to go somewhere else, the only place I go to that I don't carry is Camp Williams, and HQ in Draper.

But normally, I wouldn't carry at work, and any place it was illegal.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GenkiSudo wrote:
I don't like to OC in heavily crowded places where it is difficult to impossible to enjoy myself and maintain the extreme situational awareness required. I'll just CC instead. I also wouldn't OC to a more formal type dinner/banquet, a theater production or certain business functions. Basically, if it is appropriate for me to wear a tie, I'll typically CC.