• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where DON'T you carry?

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Generally I OC. But there are times that I CC, even when I could get away with OC'ing. It depends on the situation.

As an example, a lady in our county wanted to start a hiking group. The kickoff meeting was a few weeks ago at a coffee shop. I decided not to OC, because I didn't want to freak her out. So I CC'd. I may start OC'ing once she starts to know me better.

SLC-Vegan

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
In the shower, but it's within reach.
In bed, but it's within reach.

I concur!
Nobody had better come into my house uninvited any hour of the day. I OC even while cooking or doing the dishes. Watching TV, it's in my safe within an arm's reach.

Yesterday I was OC while mowing the lawn. Wasn't wearing a shirt, yet was wearing a revolver. The neighbors should be used to it by now. While I was walking down the street however, a neighbor stopped me and asked if I had my concealed weapons permit.
I said "No, now ask me if I have a concealed weapon". Shut him up right quick. Lol.
:cool:

UtahCop

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:

I don't OC (or carry at all) in places where it is illegal, or would get me fired. I gotta eat.

Unlike some (on both sides) it seems, I tend to be very flexible about HOW I carry. I will OC when I think it is more comfortable, on those rare ocassions when I want to make a political statement (voting for example), or when, for whatever reason, one of my full size or hand cannons is the appropriate gun to carry, etc.

I will casually conceal carry whenever the weather requires a jacket. I simply make no over attempt to drop a holster down below what my jacket is likely to cover. Nor do I usually make efforts to keep the gun hidden (tuckable holsters or the like).

Now, there are some times when I will specifically conceal carry.
1-At certain social functions where a visible gun simply is going to be a distraction: most wedding receptions, funerals, etc.
2-When my activities would place the gun at risk of damage (snow skiing, snowmobiling) and my clothing will offer greater protection for it.
3-When I am doing something that requires I not be distracted by others making an issue of my gun. Accompanying (as opposed to simply visiting) someone in the local hospitals in such a case. It is legal, I COULD make an issue of it if they pushed, but at the end of the day, if I am helping a loved one who is in the hospital, the focus needs to be on him/her, NOT on me or my gun.
4-On those days when I decide that one of my pocket guns is simply more comfortable, and still adequate to carry, rather than one of my mid or full sized firearms.
5-Any other time when, for whatever reason, I figure being discrete is the way to go.

Between a couple of pocket/mouse guns, smartcarry, and other discrete holsters it is easy enough to be very discrete when I want or need to be.

With a decent OWB holster I OC (or Casually conceal) whenever that options suites.

I figure the import thing is TO CARRY, not HOW I carry on any given day.

Charles
Now this is an attitude that all LEO's can live with Bravo UtBagpiper

scorpioajr

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
GenkiSudo wrote:
I've read where folks like to OC....is there anywhere where you choose or refuse to carry? Obviously aside from locations where it's illegal to carry.
I don't OC (or carry at all) in places where it is illegal, or would get me fired. I gotta eat.....I figure the import thing is TO CARRY, not HOW I carry on any given day.

Charles
Well said Charles.

Amendment 2

imported post

I carry everywhere I go besides places that are of limits required by law. In this day and age you never know what is going to happen. In my opinion a gun is like an insurance policy 99.9% of the time you will never have to use it but there is always that .01% chance you will have to in life and when that .01% does come I guarantee I will be the one alive. :) It is truly sad the way the world is and it is only going to get worse.

schwarzi88

imported post

Fed. buildings , Wal-Mart (when i just want to get get things really quick), my childs daycare, and when i go to Cabellas.

other than that i OC everywhere even at work! OOoooohhh OOhhh and to the bar, i leave it at home when i go out ..... and 9 times outta 10 i'm DD!

SLC-Vegan

imported post

schwarzi88 wrote:
OOoooohhh OOhhh and to the bar, i leave it at home when i go out ..... and 9 times outta 10 i'm DD!
Can you CC if you are the DD?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

SLC-Vegan wrote:
schwarzi88 wrote:
OOoooohhh OOhhh and to the bar, i leave it at home when i go out ..... and 9 times outta 10 i'm DD!
Can you CC if you are the DD?
You can legally carry concealed or openly in a bar, or as a designated driver. You just can not be intoxicated and in possession of a firearm. The limit is .08, just like driving.

[font="Arial,Helvetica"] 76-10-528. Carrying a dangerous weapon while under influence of alcohol or drugs unlawful.
(1) Any person who carries a dangerous weapon while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance as defined in Section 58-37-2 is guilty of a class B misdemeanor. Under the influence means the same level of influence or blood or breath alcohol concentration as provided in Subsections 41-6a-502(1)(a) through(c).
(2) It is not a defense to prosecution under this section that the person:
(a) is licensed in the pursuit of wildlife of any kind; or
(b) has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm. [/font]

schwarzi88

imported post

golden rule : I do NOT drink while i carry PERIOD!!!!

i'm ignorant as far as the .08 limit .... i just keep it at no Booze!

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

schwarzi88 wrote:

A fine personal rule, no doubt.

I note again what Sgt. Jensen has pointed out. In Utah it IS legal to imbibe while being in possession of a gun. But you may not be intoxicated.

Now, I have no issue at all with anyone who chooses a zero-tolerance policy for himself. It certainly avoids any questions should a the gun ever be needed.

At the same time, as a non-drinker (for both family history and religious reasons), neither do I have any problem with those who choose to be armed while responsibly enjoying a nice meal that might include a drink.

I will say, that in terms of avoiding injury and assault, I'd guess that being unarmed almost anywhere but a bar (especially the later in the evening it gets) is probably a better option that being armed to the teeth, even as a DD in a bar.

I often take pleasure in pointing out to those in States that ban RKBA in places where alcohol is served (New Mexico goes so far as to ban guns in any place that even sells alcohol, even for off premises consumption only--IE EVERY grocery store and gas station in the State), that even tea-totally Utah allows mature adults to be armed in such locations, to imbibe if they choose, so long as they are not intoxicated.

Charles

UTOC-45-44

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
schwarzi88 wrote:

A fine personal rule, no doubt.

I note again what Sgt. Jensen has pointed out. In Utah it IS legal to imbibe while being in possession of a gun. But you may not be intoxicated.

Now, I have no issue at all with anyone who chooses a zero-tolerance policy for himself. It certainly avoids any questions should a the gun ever be needed.

At the same time, as a non-drinker (for both family history and religious reasons), neither do I have any problem with those who choose to be armed while responsibly enjoying a nice meal that might include a drink.

I will say, that in terms of avoiding injury and assault, I'd guess that being unarmed almost anywhere but a bar (especially the later in the evening it gets) is probably a better option that being armed to the teeth, even as a DD in a bar.

I often take pleasure in pointing out to those in States that ban RKBA in places where alcohol is served (New Mexico goes so far as to ban guns in any place that even sells alcohol, even for off premises consumption only--IE EVERY grocery store and gas station in the State), that even tea-totally Utah allows mature adults to be armed in such locations, to imbibe if they choose, so long as they are not intoxicated.

Charles

GOD BLESS UTAH (while I'm enjoying a Bacardi & Orange down the pipe):celebrate.

Cheers

TJ