• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to Director of SLED

sccrref

imported post

Looking for some constructive ideas/edits for this letter. I know that there are several other states that could be given reciprocity with SC and I encourage everyone to send a like letter (or use this template) to the man. Let him know what you think. Update the template with the requirements of your state and let's inundate him with mail and hopefully motivate them to get a move on. Thanks in advance for the helpful input.

Mods, maybe this is worthy of the Hot Topic forum.

Dear Mr. Lloyd:

I recently read of the Governor signing H 3212 into law on June 16, 2008. As of the writing of this letter, SLED’s website has not added any additional states with which it has reciprocity.

The process required by Virginia residents in order to obtain a Resident Concealed Handgun Permit meet all criteria set forth in 23-31-215(N). An applicant is required to pass a criminal background check as part of the application process and is noted on Virginia State Police form SP-248 (7-1-2008). They are also required to demonstrate completion of a course in firearm training and safety by one of the following: Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state; Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course; Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services; Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement; Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services; Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause; Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor; Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

Virginia currently recognizes South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit holders and Virginia’s Resident Concealed Handgun Permit process complies with requirements set forth in South Carolina statutes.

I frequently travel through your state on business and am forced to place my pistol in a center console or glove compartment to comply with current state statutes. I am not allowed to carry on my person at any time. This prevents myself and many others in my situation from protecting ourselves from would be criminals should the need arise. I strongly encourage you to add Virginia to the list of states with which South Carolina has reciprocity with.

Sincerely,

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Excellent idea and an excellent letter. Thanks for the foresight. I'll get my letter going, also. I have been keeping an eye on their site, too.

sccrref

imported post

Yes the ligislation was signed into law. However, until SLED does its thing and adds VA or other states to their reciprocity list, I would not CC in SC. That is the point of this letter.To flood SLED with mail so that they will get off their butts and get it in gear. Yes you can carry in your car in the center console or glove box. If you stop to get gas or go in and eat somewhere, your gun out in the car is not a tool that is going to do you any good if you need it. Run out to your car, get in, sit down, get the gun out of the console and wait to see if they come out after you. That is of course, if you were able to get out of the situation to make it out to your car. Me, I stop in NC, eat, gas up and pee so that I will not have to stop in SC.

77zach

imported post

I would be pretty aggressive. Not rude or anything, but I've read the bill the governor signed and it took effect upon his signature. If a state does a background check and makes you take a class then South Carolina must recognize it. SLED seems to be in violation of the law. I might say in the letter they need to comply with the law!!

sccrref

imported post

I was also considering sending something along the same lines to the governor and asking him why SLED is not complying with the new law.

sccrref

imported post

I know that there are quite a few of us who travel through South Carolina with some frequency. Take a few moments to send an email to the Governor and a letter to the Direcor of SLED to help push SC towards reciprocity with VA.

Email I just sent to the Governor as well as a letter sent to SLED's Director.

Dear Mr. Sanford,

I would like to commned you on signing H 3212 into law on June 16, 2008. To date, according to SLED's website, they do not appear to have done anything to comply with the provisions of the law. I have recently sent a letter to the Director of SLED inquiring about any progress on South Carolina acknowledging Reciprocity of Virginia Concealed Handgun Permits. Virginia honors South Carolina Concealed Carry permits and the Concealed Handgun Permit for Virginia meets the requirements of the newly signed law. For the past several years I have refrained from vacationing or stopping in your state as I am prevented from using tools that allow me to take responsibility for my family and my protection while there. I was excited to learn of and follow the process of the bill and its signing into law with great pleasure in the hope that your state would finally have true reciprocity with Virginia. This unfortunately has not come to pass. Any insight you provide will be appreciated. Following is the letter I sent to Sled's director.
Sincerely,

Dear Mr. Lloyd:

I recently read of the Governor signing H 3212 into law on June 16, 2008. As of the writing of this letter, SLED’s website has not added any additional states with which it has reciprocity.

The process required by Virginia residents in order to obtain a Resident Concealed Handgun Permit meet all criteria set forth in 23-31-215(N). An applicant is required to pass a criminal background check as part of the application process and is noted on Virginia State Police form SP-248 (7-1-2008). They are also required to demonstrate completion of a course in firearm training and safety by one of the following: Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state; Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course; Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services; Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement; Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services; Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause; Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor; Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

Virginia currently recognizes South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit holders and Virginia’s Resident Concealed Handgun Permit process complies with requirements set forth in South Carolina statutes.

I frequently travel through your state on business and am forced to place my pistol in a center console or glove compartment to comply with current state statutes. I am not allowed to carry on my person at any time. This prevents myself and many others in my situation from protecting ourselves from would be criminals should the need arise. I strongly encourage you to add Virginia to the list of states with which South Carolina has reciprocity with.

Sincerely,

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Great letter. Guess I'd better find out what "SLED" stands for.... OK. Did that...

But please, let me put on my grammar nazi hat. The more correct we are in our writing, the less likely we are to have our opinions trivialized or marginalized.

I may write a similar letter. I have relatives in SC. I seldom visit, but I'd like to carry legally when I do.

[line]

As of the writing of this letter, SLED’s website has not added any additional states with which it has reciprocity. SLED's website does not have reciprocity with anyone. I believe you meant "As of this writing, SLED has not updated its web site to add reciprocity with Virginia."

The process required by Virginia residents in order to obtain a Resident Concealed Handgun Permit meets all criteria set forth in 23-31-215(N). An applicant is required to pass a criminal background check as part of the application process; that check is noted on Virginia State Police form SP-248 (7-1-2008). Applicants are also required to demonstrate completion of a course in firearm training and safety by one of the following: completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state; completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course; completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services; completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement; presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services; obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause; completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor; completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

I frequently travel through your state on business and am forced to place my pistol in a center console or glove compartment to comply with current state statutes. I am not allowed to carry on my person at any time.
This prevents me and many others in my situation from protecting ourselves from would-be criminals should the need arise. I strongly encourage you to add Virginia to the list of states with which South Carolina has reciprocity. eliminate final "with"

sccrref

imported post

Tess, I appreciate the input. Where were you at several weeks ago when the thread was started and this could have helped me out? At least those after me (if any) will benifit. Too many brain cells have died sinceI graduated high school.

Armed

imported post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't reciprocity normally signed by the Attorney General of both states? It would seem to me that a letter writing campaign to SLED would be akin to writing Public Safety Secretary Marshall (Virginia) and asking him to agree to reciprocity. I don't believe Sec. Marshall has that kind of authority.

It's a great letter to be sure, but I'm notcertain you're targeting the appropriate authority in SC.

Just a thought...

PT111

imported post

Armed wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't reciprocity normally signed by the Attorney General of both states? It would seem to me that a letter writing campaign to SLED would be akin to writing Public Safety Secretary Marshall (Virginia) and asking him to agree to reciprocity. I don't believe Sec. Marshall has that kind of authority.

It's a great letter to be sure, but I'm notcertain you're targeting the appropriate authority in SC.

Just a thought...
SLED make the determination not the AG. Once SLED has made the determination then the AG will sign off on it but SLED is the holdup.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Our own VSP has just scuttled any hope of reciprosity with South Caolina for the immediate future. :banghead: Note that reciprosity with other states will be effected also.

See item #3 on recent VCDL Va-Alert.
http://tinyurl.com/5ozby3

This must be put high on the agenda for our state legislators to fix.

Yata hey